Potentially good news boys.

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Potentially good news boys.

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

I love anything that could help duck and habitat numbers, but I do fully agree with the fact that we cant afford things like this. our govt spending is completely out of control and its the future generations that will truly feel the brunt of it. If we keep this pace of debt going, soon the US dollar wont be accepted as global currency. That will cause our constant printing of more dollars to have no help keeping our head above water. Washington is digging our country its own grave with this spending.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:18 pm

mutthunt wrote:Beretta I love the conversation. Lots of good points. I guess I don't feel maintaining/bettering the natural habitat is a pet project. It's a basic government function. Even though we, as a country, suck at it. If I thought private citizens/organizations could pony up the billions of $ needed to keep habitat I would be on board instantly (coming from a DU/PF member).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Agree to disagree. :thumbsup:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Agreed!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Very good discussion. To me this thread is proof that this is the best mn forum out there.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

Farmers look out for number one... as we all do. If they are given money to keep CRP, that money has to come from somewhere...

Last I checked we owe China a buck or two. If you owe money, there is a pretty good chance you are in debt.

debt: A debt is an obligation owed by one party (the debtor; or The US) to a second party, (the creditor; or China) usually this refers to assets granted by the creditor to the debtor. A debt is created when a creditor (China) agrees to lend a sum of assets to a debtor (The US). Debt is usually granted with expected repayment; in modern society, in most cases, this includes repayment of the original sum, plus interest.

Long story short, a farmer is tilling and tiling unless we pay him not to. We have to pay him better than market value, or why participate. That money at this point is borrowed from China, or taken from citizens by our government. If a farmer contracts CRP, and grain prices skyrocket, that farmer possibly lost money. How will they react when said contract expires? Will they be willing to re-up and take their chances that grain prices may go up again? Will the tax payer have to pay them more when the CRP contract expires? Where does it end? Will it end? What happens if the contracts stop because we decide it is too costly to maintain?
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm

mutthunt wrote:
I really wish I had the cash to go out and purchase ag land and convert it to native grass and wetland, but in some parts of the state I could afford about a half acre. I'll gladly take land the government owns/subsidizes.

Good luck with that ive seen farmers bulldoze a 10 acre farm site under the ground and there was a house a huge barn grainery couple sheds and other buildings rather then sell the land.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:50 am

hillbilly.. wrote:
mutthunt wrote:
I really wish I had the cash to go out and purchase ag land and convert it to native grass and wetland, but in some parts of the state I could afford about a half acre. I'll gladly take land the government owns/subsidizes.

Good luck with that ive seen farmers bulldoze a 10 acre farm site under the ground and there was a house a huge barn grainery couple sheds and other buildings rather then sell the land.

If it's not the farmers, it's the out of state money bags. I'm from NE Iowa, and so many of the land purchases are being made by millionaires form the east/west coast. They don't give a lick about the local impact, they just throw down $20,000/acre and wait to see their investment matriculate.

At $20,000/acre maybe I could take out a loan for 15 feet of fence-line to call my own.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 am

mutthunt wrote:IIf it's not the farmers, it's the out of state money bags. I'm from NE Iowa, and so many of the land purchases are being made by millionaires form the east/west coast. They don't give a lick about the local impact, they just throw down $20,000/acre and wait to see their investment matriculate.

At $20,000/acre maybe I could take out a loan for 15 feet of fence-line to call my own.

Where in NE IA? I've spent plenty of time in that neck of the woods...the guy I got my dogs from, now lives in Hastings is from NE IA, as well. :wink:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Raised in Hudson. Went to college in Des Moines. Moved up here in 2011.

mutthunt
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 am

756B of a 956B farm bill goes to food stamps....what? How exactly is that helping the farmers and our environment? Nice job Washington...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Labs
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:18 am

Labs wrote:756B of a 956B farm bill goes to food stamps....what? How exactly is that helping the farmers and our environment? Nice job Washington...

So much is wrong with this.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 pm

It helps the farmers

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Less than 30% of the bill goes to farmers...this is anything but a "farm" bill

Labs
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Labs-unfortunately this is business as usual. If you can lobby, you will receive-i.e. Koch Industries. Foodstamps have been part of this for quite awhile and appears as they trimmed it back a bit. Farmers will receive differently now, which may translate to less habitat. I would be intertested to hear from direct Ag related individuals as to this bill. I have not been able to get ahold of my Ranching friends as they are busy tending cattle with this weather. There are some on this forum bemoaning the support of our ag industry and it looks like they may have possibly have gotten their wishes- unfortunately ....Keep warm...mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

mauserfan wrote:Labs-unfortunately this is business as usual. If you can lobby, you will receive-i.e. Koch Industries. Foodstamps have been part of this for quite awhile and appears as they trimmed it back a bit. Farmers will receive differently now, which may translate to less habitat. I would be intertested to hear from direct Ag related individuals as to this bill. I have not been able to get ahold of my Ranching friends as they are busy tending cattle with this weather. There are some on this forum bemoaning the support of our ag industry and it looks like they may have possibly have gotten their wishes- unfortunately ....Keep warm...mauser

Well that wasn't a partisan viewpoint...:rollseyes:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

This seems to be a very simple issue with lots of easy answers. :sarcmark:
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 am

The food stamp trim was 1%. Some Trim. Apparently the Farmers didn't do a good enough job lobbying, as they only get about 30%. DU and PF are both touting this as a win...except, everyone in the country is going to end up losing in the long run. What happens when China owns us completely? Too many people focused on the short term, what's good for me now, without considering the consequences down the road.
Labs
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 am

Tapatalk is failing me...
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 am

Labs- Thanks for your input. I agree that we need a change in how things are done. Single terms, trim federal legacy benefits for non military, extinguish lobbyists and the list could go on and on. Short of a revolution, how this gets accomplished is beyond me. There are too many people making too much money in too many key positions at this stage of the game. I would still like to hear from some other Ag related individuals out there and get their impression of this bill.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am

mauserfan wrote:Labs- Thanks for your input. I agree that we need a change in how things are done. Single terms, trim federal legacy benefits for non military, extinguish lobbyists and the list could go on and on. Short of a revolution, how this gets accomplished is beyond me. There are too many people making too much money in too many key positions at this stage of the game. I would still like to hear from some other Ag related individuals out there and get their impression of this bill.....mauser

The general populous needs to choose to get better educated and understand opportunity cost and risk. Otherwise, the ever increasing population of low income voters will continue to vote for he who gives them the most stuff at an ever increasing rate. See D.C., Detroit, Chicago, and the largely the state of CA.
beretta24
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting