Rice field spreads

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Rice field spreads

Postby Alex.18 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Just curious to what deek spreads everyone else is using in the rice fields down here? I personally like a big spread to get the birds attention. 4-5 dozen at a time. Magnum and life size mallards, magnum black ducks, life size pintails, bwt and gwt, and half a dozen specks. I use teal only during teal season and throw out about a dozen when big duck rolls around. Of course i adjust my spread accordingly to whats flying. Usually big duck starts with a few more teal and less mallards. Then swap out some teal for mallards later on. Not a big fan of mojos, they seem to spook birds off as they get closer. Thinking about getting a wonderduck or 2 for next season. What do you think?
Alex.18
hunter

Re: Rice field spreads

Postby Big Hutch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 am

I am also thinking about a wonder duck for next year. I wonder if it would flare the geese??

As far as spreads go, a big rice field spread is 200-400 decoys. A big lake or open marsh spread may be 600 decoys or even more on Catahoula Lake. Next year I am downsizing my rice field spread for ducks to just a few realistic decoys that I can out out and pick up daily. With limited duck numbers My thought is that you either put out a few decoys or you put out twice as many as the other people around you. Give them something different.

Just curious. Where are you hunting?

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 am

200-400 in a rice field? Dam thats a lot. I couldnt imagine putting that our or picking it up. We pick ours up after each hunt unless were hunting again the next day. We only throw deeks in the area that we buffalo infront of the blind which is typical but it holds our 4-5 dozen pretty well with a nice landing zone for birds. Might bump it up to about 8 dozen and a few wonderducks for next year, just have to buffalo a little more

Were actually in a really good area in gueydan. Theres no one even close to us. I meen of course we can hear shots going off but theyre off in the distance. Prob about 5-6 miles away. Actually getting another lease next year in kaplan and im going to do unguided hunts in one of them. Just not sure which one yet
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 am

Can't begin to imagine a blind in the Gueydan area without another within a mile, much less 5 or 6.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Can't begin to imagine a blind in the Gueydan area without another within a mile, much less 5 or 6.

Thats why i said were in a really good spot. There are blinds all around us but no one really hunts within a few miles of us. The property we hunt isnt really around a lot of other rice fields. Its kind of on its own
Alex.18
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Alex.18 wrote:Actually getting another lease next year in kaplan and im going to do unguided hunts in one of them. Just not sure which one yet

UHH why would you get a lease in Kaplan if you have one in Gueydan with no one around you?
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 pm

lsuengineer wrote:UHH why would you get a lease in Kaplan if you have one in Gueydan with no one around you?

Im going to have both. One for personal use and one for unguided hunts. Lets not get off topic here, i want some input on spreads please...
Alex.18
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:31 pm

1-7 dozen
lsuengineer
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting