How has your season been?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

How has your season been?

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm

It has certainly been a cold one. This is the coldest winter I can remember. I had a pretty good season so far with about 22 birds. How is everyone else fairing.
Skeet123
hunter

Re: How has your season been?

Postby firsttimer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:27 am

well for being new to the whole hunting thing I got four wood ducks and two geese. went out about a dozen times. but we only have one spot on the patuxent. Still awesome just getting out and hunting
firsttimer
hunter

Postby Ruination » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:26 pm

I leased out a Duck Blind this season. Thought it would be easier than dealing with the hub bub of public land. The hunting was painfully slow to start, as far as ducks were concerned. I shot more Geese this year probably then any year previously. So it seams like a good Goose year. The ducks didn't arrive at my blind until the last 2 weeks of the season. The last week everything froze up and the ducks were back out tot he big water. It was quite disappointing, as we had a couple thousand ducks in the area, I thought for sure I would finally get some fantastic hunts. The best I had from the Blind was good.

All in all probably ended the season with 30 ducks and 30 geese.
Ruination
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 am

Its been a pretty good duck season, we have been a bit slow on the geese but I want to think thats due to where we hunted and what we targeted. Resident goose season we had 2 good hunts we shot i think 25 in. Early duck had our friend coldweatherfan's death looming over it. We took some woodies but I wasnt as focused on hunting as I was with things off the water. In November we had a pretty fun 3 days in NY, shootin 77 birds in 3 hunts, lots of ducks and geese in fields. We took a few trips out on the river and had some decent hunts. I think many of our hunts ended with only 2 or 3 birds on the ground. December treated us well, I think the weather was good for all around hunting. Had a couple good mixed duck and goose hunts over ponds, fields, and on the potomac. January with the freeze up, we spent most of our time out on the river and shot lots of ducks out there. Were ready for the late season geese though, the ice has them concentrated on certain roosts and it makes the scouting a little easier to follow them to feed fields
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby jpeels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I've only been hunting for a few years, but this was my best year by far. My buddies and I shot close to 100 divers throughout the season, limited out on blue bills evertime out. Shot about 20 mallards in the first split. We only really hunted our goose pit in January, it was slow until the snow was on the ground. Its amazing how the geese came pouring into our decoys after we kicked the snow around to make it look like they were feeding heavy. We shot around 30 geese on the year.

The best part was shooting new ducks this year. We bagged a redhead, 8 canvasbacks, a goldeneye, ruddy and a ringneck.
jpeels
hunter

Postby quackjacker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Best yer for my cousin and i in years 74 ducks in a total of eight days afield hope the trend continues
TAKING IT TO THE LIMIT EITHER BY MYSELF OR WITH A FRIEND
quackjacker
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:01 pm

I am glad everyone seems to be having such a good year. Lets see some of your best hunts from the season.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby quack*head » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 pm

1545097_10202839396652185_280405650_n.jpg

best year I have had in my long 4 years of waterfowling on the eastern shore,
quack*head
hunter

Postby Gandergetter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Not my best year but close. Was a great year on the farm. Enjoy these pics. Well all pics say file to big. we killed about 300 geese and ducks.
Gandergetter
hunter

Postby EastSiideRyda » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Anyone hunt Patuxent? PAX? Inbox me, I need a mentor for my first time out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EastSiideRyda
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 pm

a few geese. no ducks. i have excuses............

grad school pay bump=duck boat. i am thinking long term. :thumbsup:
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting