ADVICE NEEDED....BEST GUIDE AND TIME OF YEAR FOR REDHEADS

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Postby BayMan718 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 am

ive seaduck and diver hunted over 25 years from Maine to VA as well as many many many many hours here on long island but the one bird that has seems to be my white whale is a drake redhead...being the only divers we hold in large numbers here on long island are bluebills and bufflehead...i figure my best chance for a redhead is going to be either texas or NC...

i would much rather go the route of NC being its only an 8 hour drive VS an 8 hours in a flying tin can....

so i guess i am asking which guides do you think i stand my best chance of checking the redhead off my list with and what time of year...i am guessing after christmas..but correct me if i am wrong...

thanks in advance!
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:12 am

January and any of the guides on Ocracoke. I would try the curtain blind hunt and would suggest booking with them as soon as the season dates are released.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Re: ADVICE NEEDED....BEST GUIDE AND TIME OF YEAR FOR REDHEAD

Postby Giant Killer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 am

^

I would agree with the above. Allow yourself a couple days (to play the weather) in the curtain blinds in Ocracoke and you should have no trouble bagging a trophy drake redhead. They are deadly for pintail and redhead.
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 am

thank you guys... :thumbsup:

id love to try the curtain blinds...its on my " to do " list so if i can shoot a drake redhead out of one of them even better...

ive already looked up some guides in the area...waiting to hear back from them :grooving:
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 am

BayMan718 wrote:ive already looked up some guides in the area...waiting to hear back from them :grooving:

Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from them. Just getting done with season they are ready for a break. It is my understanding they don't start booking until season dates are announced.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
BayMan718 wrote:ive already looked up some guides in the area...waiting to hear back from them :grooving:

Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from them. Just getting done with season they are ready for a break. It is my understanding they don't start booking until season dates are announced.

That is what they told me when I got in contact with a couple of them several years ago. They generally call their repeat clients and allow them to book first...so you might have trouble getting some dates. Just to the south of Ocracoke is Cedar Island, NC. You should have no problem bagging a redhead with one of the guides there. I feel you get a better variety of species in the Cedar Island area (lesser scaup, blackducks, pintails, wigeon, sea ducks, bufflehead, etc.) where as the main birds you will kill in a curtain blind are pintail and redhead and maybe brant. If you want to check out a guide down there, call Buddy Goodwin (252) 225-7801 or (252) 725-3207.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 pm

When is the best time to go to Ocracoke?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:22 pm

After Christmas. Some years the redheads show up earlier than other years, but they are usually always there by Christmas time.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:13 pm

They finally showed up... After the season. Nice to watch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Thousands of birds in Carteret county right now. Twice the amount of birds as the last week of season. Saw cans redheads and blackheads galore today
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 pm

on feb.8th 2014 Youth hunt on one of our impounds 4 young hunters took 5 redheads (4 drakes). which is about how many reds us adults have taken over 20 yrs. This was in the foothills just west of Statesville NC . Reds seem to show up late...more of them down east.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 pm

thanks for the replies and pm's...

if any of you ever need info on long island NY feel free to hit me up!

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 am

Widewater Outfitters in stafford, Va will save you 5-7 hours worth of driving. They routinely do well with the divers, particularly cans and redheads. Everything depends on the seasonal weather as you know but these guys are pretty good if you're thinking about comin this far south.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Where do they hunt in stafford? Aquia creek? I used to live there and either I'm the worst hunter (likely) or they just knew that much more about the area Cus I had a hard time the one season I lived there
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby MarkPat06 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Widewater has blinds on the Potomac River. I have a friend who guides with them, and yes they do very well with Cans and Redheads.
MarkPat06
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting