One Lucky Duck?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

One Lucky Duck?

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 am

I didn't get to hunt much this past season for various reasons and had all sorts of technical issues when I did that kept me from posting my usual number of photos, but hopefully the season isn't over for me with goose season in full swing.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on what happened to me yesterday driving to work early in the morning. I was just leaving the island and as usual I was scanning the skies for birds as I was driving along when I spotted a drake mallard passing over from right to left, until he hit the electrical wires 40 feet up and dropped like he was shot right in front of me in the middle of the road. Of course I stopped and scooped him up. My first thought was to check his legs for bands, which I never did as he began to come to his senses as I picked him up. I had a box in the truck as I had just bought a new pair of boots and I placed him in there. He didn't stir much and eventually I took him to the Humane Society in OC which hopefully were able to save him. The truck still smelled ducky when I got home and picked up Jack for his evening run on the beach. He was a bit confused thinking I was hunting without him but he enjoyed sniffing in overdrive trying to find the source of the smell!!! Drove me crazy as we drove down to the beach.

Anyone else have any crazy stories to tell?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: One Lucky Duck?

Postby BaconBits » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 pm

You should stop in and see how the duck made out, OC Humane Society are good people. I got my dog from them.... no duck stories though
BaconBits
hunter

Postby duktatr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm

I've seen mallards in mid air collision. Hen t-boned a drake and plummeted until splashdown. Must have hurt herself pretty good. Couldn't fly after that.
duktatr
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Had a duck fly right into my windshield......................left a quack in it..
FFT
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss this guy!!! You gotta get down here for some snow goose action this spring
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:22 am

That little guy could not have been in any better care! Great post Pete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ngiglio
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 am

pvn6616 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss this guy!!! You gotta get down here for some snow goose action this spring

I still have a bag in the freezer from a few weeks ago. Once i burn through that, I would love to get together and pretend like we know what were doing!!
FFT
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting