opening day

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

opening day

Postby skybust » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:19 pm

I limitted out on opening day and then slept in on Sunday went out for just a couple of hours and got two me and my son had a blast
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:05 am

A limit! Nice job!

How is Drake doing this year?

How was the water level? Did you go all the way back to Swan?

The kid has too much to do on saturday, so we will be going out on sunday morning to one of the corners and sitting on the bank.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby skybust » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Dek did ok but you can tell he didnt get many birds this summer so all week Ive been training with pegions and a ducks. So I hope this sat/sun he does better. If he doesnt hell have a new name (for sale) HAHA. Water is low but you could get to the back side of swan.
skybust
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Skybust, sounds like you had a great hunt! Did you go to Tetlin?

I still haven't made it our for ducks, but dressed out a nice fork horn bull yesterday, so the freezer won't look so empty this winter. I'm sore all over from the work!

With that out of the way I'll be able to concentrate on waterfowl. Yea!! Still have to put the boat blind together, make repairs, etc.
Good luck to you and Ray this weekend Chris!

Ray, is the "Kid" shooting this year? Dad started me out with a single shot 3" 410, hunting from a boat over decoys. I managed to get a few (mostly on the water :) Graduated to a 20 ga. when I was big enough.

Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby skybust » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:39 pm

otterbfishn

congrat on the moose where did you get it. No I didnt go to tetlin because of work issues went to Jim creek.
skybust
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:21 pm

North of Trapper Creek on my way to work. Short carry (about 200 Ft.) but thru the devils club and over a fallen birch. Tough duty on these old bones, but not as bad as it could have been. Hanging the meat in the shed in game bags with an electric fan. Keep checking it. Probably butcher out the backstraps in a couple days, then hope for cooler weather for the quarters. Hope to make 10 days with them, but unless it gets cooler I'll probable be processing the end of the week.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akbrett » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:52 am

Congrats on the bull Jessie! Hopefully I can poke one this weekend and then I'll start thinking about birds...
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Jessie,

the Kid is still a little hesitant to pick up even her air rifle and go plinking, but she does enjoy going shooting with me as long as she is in control of the clays on the skeet range. She is more patient these days so I think we can actually spend a day in the marsh rather than a couple of hours. She loves the boat rides up and down the creek. Hopefully there will be enough water to keep the outboard fed throughout the season and I can keep getting out until freeze up.

nice job on the bull.

During the holiday weekend the Kid and I went south to the Russian and ended up seeing the biggest bull either of us have ever seen in the wild. It came out and walked in the river until it found all the flyfishermen. Here is an "artsy" photo of him running back down stream. It is artsy because I had the camera on the wrong setting and the shutter speed was too slow.

It looks not so big but it has 4 brow tines on each side and is just over 60 inches based on the 10 inches between the antler bases rule of thumb. I have more blurry shots, but here is a nice one of his hind end right before he found the trout fishermen.

AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Yikes!! Huge Bull! Looks like you were kinda close to him. Make your heart pump a little faster? I like the water spraying off his feet. Cool. See any bears, any salmon left in the river?
It'll be a great day for you when she drops her first greenhead. Lucky to have that to look forward to.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:48 pm

There was one point right before he dicided that he had had enough were we were about 12 to 15 feet away standing on the board walk. I was actually looking right into his face as he stopped behind more alders. At that moment a group was walking up the board walk and I hand signaled for them to stop. They then saw the bull standing there next to me and they all panicked and yelled "get the camera". I have a shot of his butt as he left that scene.

It was pretty cool this summer when she caught her first salmon and it will be pretty cool if she decides to hunt. She is becoming more outdoorsy this summer than in years past. This may be the season she gets into the feelings we all share while out in the marsh, on the stream, or in the woods.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:35 pm

I wonder if anyone has shot that yet...
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting