First trip to SD

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

First trip to SD

Postby clevelandduckbuster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 pm

I am going to be in Lily the first week of November, I was wondering if anyone could throw me a bone? We are going to be on private land with some slews, and a lake or two.

1. what kind of birds will be in the area
2. will the snows be around? ( I have never bagged one)
3. I drew a swan permit, will there be any in the area?
4. big or little spread for geese?
5. Will we have to deal with ice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am very excited to come to SD, I can not wait!!

Oh and how is the pheasant hunting in that area? :yes:
clevelandduckbuster
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:13 pm

well..... i cant say where to go in SD but i can say :welcome: to DHC!!!

good luck finding a good hunting spot though! :thumbsup:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 pm

Me and my dad hunt in close to that area every year. About the same time you are going out there. we are a little bit north east of there though.

Last year we ran in to all kinds of divers. Tons of blue bills, some buffle heads, Cans and some others. And depending on the weather, If you hit it at the right time you can see a Sh*t load of Mallards.

As far as snows. Last year we saw thousands and thousands of them. But they are hard to get at. And you have to have some private land in the right spot with a hundred or so decoys to get a chance at them. But your other option is if you can find a place between the field they're feeding at and water where they are flying low you might get some long passing shots.

Pheasant hunting is good around there too. We normally finish up our duck hunt around noon. Go back and take a nap then road hunt and walk some ditches and public land for pheasants. and we would get our close to our limit in ducks and pheasants every day.

And there's a lot of walk in area's around there too. I put the link below here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the map then click on the area your in to get a more detailed view. You can pick up this map at any store that sells licenses out there

http://www.sdgfp.info/Publications/Atlas/Index.htm

For swans we see some every year. Last year we had a couple flock fly right over us (that was by chance we didn't have any decoys out for them)

Depending on how the weather is you might have to deal with ice. last year we had to break through about an inch ice. It all depends on the weather

And finally here's some pics from last year for you

all the snows

Here's a bunch of mallards coming into a feild to feed at night. The picture quality isn't the best but all the specs are mallards. We sat there and watched them come in for about 30 min. it was flock after flock non-stop

Here's a raft of mallards

And a limit of dead pheasants

I'm sure you'll have an awsome time. We always do.
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

Postby clevelandduckbuster » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:26 pm

clevelandduckbuster
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting