Spring goose hunt

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, spoonysmaker, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Spring goose hunt

Postby Cali_dukkiller07 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Jus wondering if anyone has some input on a good guide for the spring goose hunt, thank you
Cali_dukkiller07
hunter

Re: Spring goose hunt

Postby ricemanff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 pm

I am trying out out of Oregon late Feb. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever
ricemanff
hunter

Postby dukgtr187 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

I've hunted with blosser outfitters numerous times. Always had a great time. Would be doin it this year if i wasnt currently deployed
dukgtr187
hunter

Postby Tag stew » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 am

We are going with Greg with, River Valley Outfitters. First time with him, but have heard lots of good stuff about his operation and his customer service so far has been excellent.
Tag stew
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 am

For those of you that think of using a guide I would NOT and repeat NOT use outfitters. Probably the Laziest non performing guide or hunter for that matter that I have ever hunted with. If the birds are flaring from the spread something is wrong. I had to ask a few times to see if we could change the spread since something was not right. Finally after asking a few times he finally said if that's what you think then try it. We adjusted the spread and finally got some birds. I think he is not very experienced if you have any questions please send me a PM
ricemanff
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Tag stew wrote:We are going with Greg with, River Valley Outfitters. First time with him, but have heard lots of good stuff about his operation and his customer service so far has been excellent.

So how did you do? How was the experience? We are looking for a new guide for next year
ricemanff
hunter

Postby Frog Ponds » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 am

ricemanff wrote:For those of you that think of using a guide I would NOT and repeat NOT use outfitters. Probably the Laziest non performing guide or hunter for that matter that I have ever hunted with. If the birds are flaring from the spread something is wrong. I had to ask a few times to see if we could change the spread since something was not right. Finally after asking a few times he finally said if that's what you think then try it. We adjusted the spread and finally got some birds. I think he is not very experienced if you have any questions please send me a PM

I tried to warn you in an earlier post and you didn't respond. John is a scam artist and I told you to ask him why the license was now in his son's name. At least you didn't have your deposit taken and no hunt given but from the sounds of it you would have been better off.
Frog Ponds
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm

ricemanff wrote:
Tag stew wrote:We are going with Greg with, River Valley Outfitters. First time with him, but have heard lots of good stuff about his operation and his customer service so far has been excellent.

So how did you do? How was the experience? We are looking for a new guide for next year

I can't speak for tagstew, but here is a video from a hunt last week from River Valley Outfitters:

http://vimeo.com/87749765
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Tag stew » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Rice,
We had a great time! Shot some birds, and met some good people.
Greg and his guides made for a good time! Quality dekes, blinds and plenty of good jokes and personal ribbing between a fun bunch of guy's. I would recommend him for sure.
Tag stew
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks for the info guys. We will be going back up again next year, with another guide so I will have to check more references this time. I do like that you guys both liked R V O
ricemanff
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 am

I rented an unguided blind from RVO. Greg is a good guy and runs a great business. The unguided blind was top notch.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby MudStud » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use Outfitters. We used them in March of this year (2015) and was a FIASCO. To begin with, the forms they sent us with their policies was so badly written, misspelled words, poor grammar and filled in with PENCIL. But, whatever, we booked three days for two hunters, $1,200.00.

So we get there, they drive by our RV park and we follow them and the first thing they do is pull into a gas station to fill up and get breakfast. We ate breakfast before they came by, but whatever. So we had to wait until they filled up. Then we followed them out to the field they had reserved for us. Then about 6:30 the geese started flying and the Rancher came out into the field and told us that we did NOT have the right to hunt there. So we had to pick up and move. But by the time we moved, the morning flight was over. In talking with them, they said they had another field scheduled but that rancher had called them the night before and told them he forgot he had already promised another outfitter they could use his field. So we set up and took down, TWICE, the first day and never fired a shot. This was Thursday.

Friday morning, they come by to have us follow them again, and lo and behold, they stop at the gas station, fill up with gas and get breakfast. ***? Why didn't you fill up before you came by to get us. So we set up again, this time over a flooded field. Geese are flying everywhere but none come in closer than 50 yards. We wing one and the guides dog refused to go get it as it sailed across the flooded field. Finally, we got a flight in at about 40 yards and my son drops one.

Saturday, I happened to look in the bed of the guides pickup and there are half a dozen dead snow geese. So I asked him what they were doing there. He said they were shot last Saturday, a week ago, and they just never took them out of the truck. ***? We did get a few birds, a total of 7, 5 Specks and 2 Ross, in three days hunt with them (this was only five weeks ago) At $1,200 for the hunt, those are some expensive birds. I have hunted with several of the "Veteran Snow Goose" hunters at Wister and every one of them can call circles around these goof offs, the Wister guys put out better spreads and make better blinds.

So to reiterate:
1. Very unprofessional communication
2. Aging dead geese in the pickup bed (did I mention the rear window of their pickup truck was missing?)
3. No permission to hunt in the ranchers field.
4. Sloppy decoy setups
5. Extremely poor calling
6. Made us, the paying customer, help set up and take down the spreads.
7. Made us build our own blinds.
8. On the second day, gave us 'white suits' that were made of tracing paper and shredded when put on.
9. Were constantly 'social chatting' with each other, even when birds were in the area (and cell phone conversations)
10. Couldn't call a starving dog to dinner, yet alone a goose!
11. I dropped a Ross across a 40 foot wide ditch and the guides dog refused to cross the ditch to get it. The guide had to take him 1/2 a mile back to the bridge, then come back with the goose. My dog would have had that goose in my hand in 30 seconds!

Avoid them!
MudStud
Newb

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Avoid using guides....avoid using dogs.... and avoid hunting with people you don't know. And you'll save tons of money and be happy :)
mendotakiller
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting