Entering Canada with DUI convictions

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Entering Canada with DUI convictions

Postby Randy Matthews » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Hey, everyone! I am a big fan of this forum and have been monitoring it for a while, but have never posted. I am organizing a group of guys to head to Saskatchewan during the 2014 waterfowl season. One of the members of our group has a DUI conviction in the U.S. We have heard it is close to impossible to cross the border with such a conviction. We have heard alot of different information regarding to ways to gain entry. Has anyone heard of any success stories of people getting in with a DUI their record? I have heard something about pardons from the courts or a temporary visitor permit. I look forward to your input. Thanks.
Randy Matthews
Newb

Re: Entering Canada with DUI convictions

Postby REM1100 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am

Look up the Canadian Border Services Agency and have him fill a form Application for Criminal Rehabilation [IMM 1444]
PDF 228 KB
The term Pardon is now called Record of Suspension. Form should be filled 5 years after criminal sentence and contact a Citizenship and Immigratioin Center. It might be touh but suppply all the info about the DUI.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Randy Matthews » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for the feedback, Rem. On the form a person has to list a suitable reason for visiting Canada. I am not too sure the Canadian government will think waterfowl hunting is a suitable reason. Have you or anyone used this as a reson to enter Canada? Or do you know of a suitable reson to list?
Randy Matthews
Newb

Postby mauserfan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Just remember that when you pull up to their border, you are their guest. Understandably, they give alot of authority to their border agents. It is my understanding that amongst other things, game violations, assaults, theft, arms or drug related incidents are factored into their decision as well. If there are any skeletons in anyones closet, now's the time to bring them out. Personally, I would not knowingly try to cross with anyone that has had any of these issues in their past. I cross frequently and would not want anyone to jeopardize my good standing. Also, getting back into the states could be a little rough as well. I have witnessed this but never been involved with it. ....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 am

They will ask you all if anyone has a DUI or has ever been "before a judge". I for one would not want to drive there knowing there is a good chance I would not get in. I don't know for sure if they would turn you away but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. maybe your buddie could drive himself so if he is turned away then everyone wouldn't have to suffer....I myself haven't heard of any success stories that would bolster your confidence.
don novicki
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:52 pm

My entering Canada story….

This past fall, I drove up to Quebec city just for a visit but with a cheap crappy old double barrel shotgun, hoping to also go hunting on Iles d"Orleans once I got there. I checked the website and thought it would be alright. I declared that I had the shotgun and wanted to fill out the form. The agent asked if I had made arrangements to hunt, and I informed him that this was a spur-of-the-moment trip and I planned to ask the concierge to call a guide once I got there. He said that wasn't good enough and proceeded to tear my car apart and conduct a full background search. He took me inside and asked me about my past. I told them I had a trespassing conviction for pool-hoping when I was 18, and a pot-possession from when I was about 21 - both of which they found out about. He then tried to trick me up with questions about any DUI's, but I didn't have any. He said that neither of those is a reason not to admit me to Canada but he was obviously interested in DUI's.

They said they could not admit me with the gun and that I could not surrender it to them. I tuned around, went back through US security, threw the gun into the woods, and reentered Canada ten minutes later.

I would love to go hunting in Canada, but why put yourself through that crap - we have plenty of good hunting on this side of the border, too. If that's the way they treat hunters, they don't deserve our business.

It's really funny too, because they give residency to non-Americans who then proceed to make a living steeling people's bags from hotels and other petty and not-so-petty crimes and barely punish them and certainly don't deport them.

Don't know if that helps you any.
papageno
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Randy-looks like you have a pretty good cross section here of the correct, or incorrect, way to approach this. Generally speaking both Customs and Conservation officials are given a large "Gray" area to work within. If you are honorably operating clearly within the laws, there are no issues. This is pretty simple or can be as tough as some people will make it for them selves.....good luck...mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Randy Matthews » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks for all of the input. We have decided that we are going to go ahead and apply for the temporary resident permit and disclose everything. This way we know if the person will be able to get in before we get to the border. It will take all of the guessing out of it. I will advise what the outcome is in the future. Thanks again.
Randy Matthews
Newb

Postby chase870 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 pm

1 DUI in the last 10 years or 2 in your life time results in a degree of criminality and you will have to have a certificate of rehabillation to enter. Its pretty tough to do but it can be done. I have crossed the boarder since 01 and was checked and had a issue in 11. I made it 10 years before they found 2 30 year old DUI arrests.
chase870
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

Post by chase870 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 pm

1 DUI in the last 10 years or 2 in your life time results in a degree of criminality and you will have to have a certificate of rehabillation to enter. Its pretty tough to do but it can be done. I have crossed the boarder since 01 and was checked and had a issue in 11. I made it 10 years before they found 2 30 year old DUI arrests.

Charles, we have a problem!!
Understatement!! :fingerpt:

Boy howdy, I'll say!! I was there and yes he is a criminal with an advanced degree in criminality!! :yes: :yes:

Definitely a good idea to go ahead and check it before you get to the border.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Canada Duck Hunting