Hunting over/under

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Hunting over/under

Postby GoldieRetriever50 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 am

Who likes duck/goose hunting with over under? Pros/cons (besides the 2 shell fact). I'm thinking of getting something 28" with 3.5 chamber. I understand more recoil than semi's but I can handle it with pump, gotta think I can handle a box of goose loads with o/u. I'm no gun guy but I assume I can shoot 2 3/4 and 3's with a 3.5 chamber, or is o/u the exception? Budget under 500. Any suggestions?
Don't like police? Next time call a crack head.
GoldieRetriever50
hunter

Re: Hunting over/under

Postby Gabagool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 am

My OU handles recoil much better than my semi and my pump. I think it's for the simple fact that it is heavier. A 3.5" gun can take 2 3/4 and 3" shells. At that budget, the only gun that I can think of is the Stoeger Condor. Good luck
Gabagool
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 am

I shoot a o/u for waterfowl and love it! Yeah you give up the third shot but the only time that really becomes a factor is with divers.They are a little awkward in a blind at first to reload but you will find a style that works for you. You get the benefit of having two chokes and unless you have a major malfunction they always go bang twice. in your price range about the only 3 1/2 is going to be the Tri star. which I own myself along with my 20 ga Yildiz. The Tri star has been a great gun so far, mine has 3 1/2 inch chambers,synthetic stocks, matte finish and sling mounts. Came in at 489.99 before tax.
olt d2
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 am

You pay for quality in an O/U. In your price range you are severely limited.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby sluttyshoveller » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

I hunted with a browning cynergy last year and loved it. Everything was great except for the afore mentioned lack of a third shot, which i do need on occasion, and a little shorter sighting plane due to the shorter receiver. :smile:
sluttyshoveller
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

I shoot a Citori and it kicks less than my auto and pumps.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Huntnharris » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:03 pm

I got a Stoger a few years ago and love it. It is only a 3" chamber. Get the package with both 12 and 20 gage barrels, 12 for ducks and 20 for doves. Only draw back is I don't believe it comes in a 3 1/2" chamber.
Huntnharris
hunter

Postby bull64 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I hunt with a 30" barrelled Citori chambered for the 3 and 1/2". It swings well and recoil is a non-issue for me.
bull64
hunter

Postby tanglewoodron » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I have a Tri-Star and it works.I also have a new 3 1/2 A-5, a Maxus, and a SBEII. Killed em just as dead with the tri=star $550
tanglewoodron
Newb

Postby BKScripto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I've always shot O/U for clays so I naturally took to an O/U for hunting. If I can't hit em with 2 shots, I don't deserve a 3rd. I have a Browning Cynergy dipped in duck blind camo and it has worked flawlessly. It is chambered for 3-1/2 shells but i never use them, no need to. And it soaks up the recoil nicely with the euro butt pad (fugly but effective). I will probably take some sh!t for this, but if I were you I wouldn't even consider a gun in that $500 price range. Save your money and at least buy a used Browning (not saying Browning is the best, but it's the best starting point). I coach a youth shooting team and I see Stoeger, Remi, Tri-Star, CZ, Charles Daley, Mossberg, and Savage break on the regular. Firing pins and ejectors fail first, even see a double fire on some. Not trying to pee on those brands, just trying to save you some headache down the road.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:23 am

BKScripto wrote:I wouldn't even consider a gun in that $500 price range. Save your money and at least buy a used Browning .... just trying to save you some headache down the road.

I agree. Those who advise you to not get an O/U that costs under $500 are giving you very good advice. ANY O/U that is worth anything will cost you at least a grand. People who let a good O/U go for less than $1000 are few and far between. It happens (I bought a like-new Ruger Red Label for $600 once, but that sort of thing is rare), but not more than once or twice in a lifetime for most of us.
gool is right about the Condor being the only new O/U in your price range, but not many shooters are truly happy with a Turkish/Russian/Chinese crapgun...even when they are saying "great gun for the money".
"Great gun for the money" only means "at least it didn't cost very much".

"Save your money and at least buy a used Browning..." is the best advice you can get.

By the way, I have five O/Us. I've hunted with an O/U. I cannot think of a single functional advantage an O/U has over a good autoloader. Not one. (BTW, the oft-touted "choice of two chokes" is highly over-rated, since one of those chokes will always be wrong for the shot) So my list of pros for the O/U as a hunting gun in the USA would be empty, while my list of cons would be lengthy.
mudpack
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 am

"Great gun for the money" also means they have put a box of shells thru it and it worked. But trust me, it's only a matter of time before they break. I wouldn't BS ya, I've seen it first hand. Shooting team kids' parents try to get out cheap (understandable since you don't know if your kid will end up actually taking to the sport) and buy one of the brands I mentioned above, only to have the firing pin snap during a competition. But most break during practice before making it to a completion.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 am

With two shots per event vs. three, your ammo bill could possibly be lower.

The only lower end ($$'s) O/U I consistently hear good reports on is the Yildiz (turkish) line.

10gaOkie has used several of them for a number of seasons and a PM to him might be worthwhile.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby GoldieRetriever50 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Good stuff guys. I really appreciate the input. Ill keep an eye out for a deal and see what happens.
Don't like police? Next time call a crack head.
GoldieRetriever50
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:With two shots per event vs. three, your ammo bill could possibly be lower.

I only put one shell in my autoloaders.
It forces me to be a better shooter, AND my ammo bill is practically nonexistent.

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 am

How are the over/unders out of layout boats/blinds?
PNWGator
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 am

PNWGator wrote:How are the over/unders out of layout boats/blinds?

You can learn to live with them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Splatt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 am

I have a Dehaan/Huglu , same as CZ , o/u, that I used last year.
Wonderful gun, ran at least 500 rounds thru it without any problems.
Here's a random pic.
Splatt
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:36 am

At a price range of $500 for a new O/U you're better off holding off until you can save up more. My father and I each had a Condor because the price was attractive, don't get one they're junk. The actions loosened up fairly quickly got rid of them and picked up a Franchi Renaissance and started shooting competitive trap, put about 3000 rounds through it and Its still very tight, bought a used Citori trap combo that someone had used heavily, shot it for two seasons and then sent it back to Browning to be reworked, now the action is as tight as new and I'm guessing the gun has seen 20,000+ round through it.
Find a good used Browning, Beretta, Franchi and it will last you forever.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am

The Yildiz sold by the Academy is an excellent O/U for the money. The local store has not had any problems with them. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby KRB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 am

A used Ruger red label is a good solid gun that can be had for a little more than 500
KRB
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:57 am

Jon Bergren wrote:The Yildiz sold by the Academy is an excellent O/U for the money. The local store has not had any problems with them. Ned S

It's only the guys who actually shoot the Yildiz who have problems with them, ned. :rolleyes:

"excellent O/U for the money" is another way of saying "at least it didn't cost much". What you want is an excellent O/U. Period.
That pretty much rules out the crapguns from Turkey and Russia.

KRB wrote:A used Ruger red label is a good solid gun that can be had for a little more than 500
Not sure about that $500, but a good used RL will cost more than a new Turkish/Russian O/U, and is ten times the gun they are.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

mudpack wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:The Yildiz sold by the Academy is an excellent O/U for the money. The local store has not had any problems with them. Ned S

It's only the guys who actually shoot the Yildiz who have problems with them, ned. :rolleyes:

"excellent O/U for the money" is another way of saying "at least it didn't cost much". What you want is an excellent O/U. Period.
That pretty much rules out the crapguns from Turkey and Russia.

KRB wrote:A used Ruger red label is a good solid gun that can be had for a little more than 500
Not sure about that $500, but a good used RL will cost more than a new Turkish/Russian O/U, and is ten times the gun they are.

My Bad. By a little more I meant 7-9 hundred. But as mudpack said it would be worth the extra 2-4 hundred.
KRB
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:44 pm

I bought a browning citori lightning satin hunter 12ga 3 1/2" Dec of 2012. It is the finest shooting iron I own. I use
3" mostly but 3 1/2" shells aren't bad through it. Got it for $1000 new on a good sale. Get one they are fun! :thumbsup:
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 pm

rikasam2013 wrote:I bought a browning citori lightning satin hunter 12ga 3 1/2" Dec of 2012..... Got it for $1000 new....

I'm not a huge Browning O/U fan, but I'd have bought that in a heartbeat! You got the deal of the year. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum