number of duck decoys to use in a field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

number of duck decoys to use in a field

Postby duckweed » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:43 pm

i am new to the sport and i was wondering what the efficient number of decoys would be for 3 people.

thanks

:umm: :toofunny: :laughing:
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 pm

2 dz min per hunter IMO. I like to use 50+ by myself. Often I use CA goose decoys in conjuntion. If using a bunch of FB CA at same time often 2 dz will suffice. But if only 9 FB Ca goose, them I'll set 50+ for the late season Mallards we get up here where I hunt.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brett Beinke » Fri May 06, 2005 12:35 pm

Depends. If you use a spinner (or more) then you do not need very many. If you do not use spinners than larger spreads will provide better action for you. If there are no geese using the fields you hunt you may want to leave them back and add more ducks. I have seen ducks stay away from field spreads of goose decoys especially when they are getting hunted hard. There are now many options for field duck hunting and numbers do help!
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby Tyler Ellenson » Sat May 07, 2005 2:38 pm

More often then not a spread of 450 snow windsocks will kill the ducks even if there isnt even a snow goose for hundreds of miles.
Tyler Ellenson
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:18 pm

Brett Beinke wrote:If there are no geese using the fields you hunt you may want to leave them back and add more ducks. I have seen ducks stay away from field spreads of goose decoys especially when they are getting hunted hard.

:withstupid: We hunted a field once and put out 2 dozen geese decoys and about 6 ducks decoys....though we were mainly focusing on geese, yet there was about 500 mallards using the field and we thought if no geese came we would pound the hell outta the mallards.....but when the mallards started coming in they totally stayed clear of our spread. We had one bunch pass over but we never did shoot which was a mistake because no geese ever came either and we went home empty!! :pissed:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:42 am

All ya got :yes: :yes: :yes: Make a large group, with smaller " family" groups off the sides of the main group. :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 pm

In the fields we use all the duck & geese dec's we can , carry,pull or drag. Just leave a little room weight wise in case you get lucky. The main thing is "cover up!!". If they see you, they are gone!!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby bowhuntr4ever » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:50 pm

when me and two of my freinds went field duck hunting we used one dozen mallard shells and one dozen goose shell that seemed to work becaue we had shot 15 ducks and 1 goose
bowhuntr4ever
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:05 am

i have never had to use more than 2dzn duck decoys, we have used as little as one robo duck but as many as 3....
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 am

The ducks really seem to like snow goose decoys. It's kinda frustrating sittin in the middle of a ton of rags and windsocks in February and having pins and mallards eat you up and you can do nothing about it.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting