Repairing Pulled Feathers

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Repairing Pulled Feathers

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:06 pm

I've seen this a couple or three times and had one in particular recently. I had decided that this year I was going to mount a brant if the opportunity presented itself. Late in the season I got one, but it had a whole patch of feathers on the breast that were missing. On close inspection, it looked as if the bird had roosted on the ice and froze there. When the bird tried to move, it apparently broke or pulled out a patch of breast feathers. I wanted to mount the bird with its belly facing out and wings spread, so that brant wasn't suitable. On the second to last day of the season, I shot another, this one much bigger than the first. When I initially looked it over, it looked fine. When I started to skin the bird, I noticed the same thing on the breast, just not nearly as bad. I went ahead and mounted the bird and tried as best I could to hide the damaged plumage. Still, there's a noticeable line in the breast where the feathers were missing.

My question is this, was there any way to repair the damage during the mounting process? I had thought about trimming some skin off each side to bring the edges together, but decided against it. I tried grooming the feathers together, and that helped some, but the seam is still slightly noticeable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Repairing Pulled Feathers

Postby duxrus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:39 pm

I have stitched bare spots as to sinch them together on many birds with good results ..... But would shy away from poses that focus on that area because you can only hide so much. Your idea on trimming the area and sewing it closed should fix the problem assuming the area wasnt too large
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum