Word of the Day, February 6, 2014, Joel 1:14

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, February 6, 2014, Joel 1:14

Postby timf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 am

Word of the Day, February 6, 2014

" I wanna live with abandon. Give You all that I am. Every part of my heart Jesus. I place in Your hands. I wanna live with abandon. I'll drop everything to follow You. It's only Your hands I hold onto.”

Joel 1:14

14 Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD

Before going to Canaan, I had never fasted before. I made a choice to get into the word and the word speaks a lot about fasting and prayer. As I said yesterday, we need to follow the Bible completely. I am going to let the Bible speak for its self. We are going to do a little Bible study. Here are a few verses. (and there are many more)

Matthew 6:16-18 - Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Acts 14:23 - And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

Acts 13:2 - As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

Acts 13:3 - And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid [their] hands on them, they sent [them] away.

Esther 4:16 - Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which [is] not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

Nehemiah 1:4 - And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned [certain] days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,

1 Corinthians 7:5 - Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

Luke 2:37 - And she [was] a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served [God] with fastings and prayers night and day.

Psalms 35:13 - But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing [was] sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

Mark 9:29 - And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Matthew 4:2 - And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

2 Corinthians 11:27 - In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

1 Corinthians 9:27 - But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Acts 9:9 - And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

Mark 2:18 - And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not?

Matthew 9:14-15 - Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? (Read More...)

Joel 2:15 - Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:

Isaiah 58:3 - Wherefore have we fasted, [say they], and thou seest not? [wherefore] have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.

Acts 13:2-3 - As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

Acts 10:30 - And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,

Joel 2:12 - Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye [even] to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

Isaiah 58:1-14 - Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.

Ezra 10:6 - Then Ezra rose up from before the house of God, and went into the chamber of Johanan the son of Eliashib: and [when] he came thither, he did eat no bread, nor drink water: for he mourned because of the transgression of them that had been carried away.

Ezra 8:21-23 - Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.

Judges 20:26 - Then all the children of Israel, and all the people, went up, and came unto the house of God, and wept, and sat there before the LORD, and fasted that day until even, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD.

Luke 18:12 - I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Need I say more......I have watch prayer and fasting work in my life since starting to fast. Fasting is to strengthen our ability to turn our complete attention to the LORD. We are told to fast when facing a major challenge or obstacle in our life. Christ did not command, but said “ when you fast...” This will help us be receptive to God’s instructions and wisdom. Fasting can build our spiritual protection from becoming satisfied with earthly things and matters. Fasting also humbles ourselves unto the LORD. Helps us with temptations, helps with repentance and intercession with our Father God and adds intensity to prayer.

Fasting will draw you closer to God. Matthew 17:20 is a well know verse that Jesus tells us that if faith is the size of a mustard seed that you can say to the mountain move and it will. Verse 21 tells us how our faith can grow, “ Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.”

“ The Lord is in His holy temple; The Lord is on His heav'nly throne; His eyes behold the sons of men; He knows the ones that are His own. The Lord is in His holy temple; The Lord is on His heav'nly throne; Only the righteous will see His face; Only those with sins atoned.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality