3" load for geese???

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

3" load for geese???

Postby Ukcatshunter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:13 am

Hello,

I'm set on getting a semi shotgun. Either a Beretta A300 or Winchester SX3 3.5.

I plan to shoot Kent 3" 2's for ducks if it patterns well.

However I plan to do some layout blind goose hunting.

Well the 3" load be effective? I figure I may need to bump up to BBB or BB and look into maybe a Heavy Metal type load?

From reading on here the Kents are close to the Blind Side Black Cloud etc without shelling out the extra $.
But for geese it may be worth it etc.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Re: 3" load for geese???

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:55 am

Well, as well be said sooner or later, the shot type/size you select should be based upon pattern tests fired from your gun/choke combination at ranges similar to that you will encounter in the field. Many on here swear by shot sizes 2-BBB, and even T-shot. All of which will get thr job done. 3in loads will work just fine as well.
Me personally, I've killed geese with shoot size as small as 4s ( pre-dawn I loaded the wrong shell), but I would not advise doing so regularly.
Regarding the designer loads Blackcloud, Heavi-Metal, and Blindside, yeah, I've killed geese worth those too, but I've personally found them to be no more effective than regular round steel shot.
I am however working to get my hands on some TSS for the spring snow goose season :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:18 am

3 inch Kent BB or Winchester 3 inch #1s
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby 390391whk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am

I have found that over decoys, Kent 1 3/8's 3" Fasteel 1's early in the season and Kent 1 3/8's BBs later have been great thru my Beretta's.
390391whk
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 am

a very good over decoy load for ducks and geese from factory is kent silver steel 1480 fps with1 1/4 oz of 1's. that load will cover combo hunts , while field hunting or water hunts. with saying that i shoot alot of geese with 23/4 inch of 2's reloads and factory loads.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 am

If you:
Choose the proper loads as per shot size and payload weight.
Pattern your gun and the various suitable 3" loads.
Keep your shots within about 45 yards.
Point your gun correctly.

...you can kill every goose you shoot at with 3" loads. Standard steel loads. Gimmick loads and high density loads are not required.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am

Ukcatshunter wrote:Hello,

Well the 3" load be effective? I figure I may need to bump up to BBB or BB and look into maybe a Heavy Metal type load?

From reading on here the Kents are close to the Blind Side Black Cloud etc without shelling out the extra $.

Practice pointing/swinging these (and, possibly others) shotguns in the store, if they have a (display) layout blind available. That should tell you which one fits/works best for you and is preferable to finding out (right/wrong) when the birds are hooking in over the spread. The shotshell selection should follow suit as if the gun fits you well, the shooting should be easier and faster, meaning the birds die closer, to you.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm

If you are unable to kill big canadas over decoys with a 3" 1-1/4oz load of BB, they aren't over the decoys or you are shooting where they aren't.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into shooting 1's for combo hunts and BB for goose only.

Good to hear the Kent's work well too.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 am

We kill geese with Remington bbb/bbs in 3in hammer dead. Also have killed them hammer dead with kent 2s at 50 jump shooting

Sent from the woods
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Killed as many geese with Kent Fasteel 3" #2 as I did with Black Cloud 3.5 #2..... As long as its #2 or larger shot it will get the job done...IMO what is behind the gun is more important than whats in the gun
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 pm

The Kent 3" 1 1/4oz #1s are probably my most favorite 12ga factory load. I patterned several reload recipes from that factory load.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't know anything about the SX3 but the bit the a-300 had the same adjustable length of pull as the a400 which is very nice. Are you interested on reloading at all? There are some nice recipes available for 3 inch. I'm going to work on 1 this summer that's an 1-1/8oz at 1635fps I was going to use 2s for windy day ducks and bbs for geese. It's a work in progress tough.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:35 pm

You do not need a 3 1/2 inch gun or load to kill any goose in the world. The fact is that it is doubtful as to whether the long 12 is of any advantage at all.

Ukcatshunter wrote:Well the 3" load be effective? I figure I may need to bump up to BBB or BB and look into maybe a Heavy Metal type load?

You do not need Hevi anything, it's mostly a means of getting dollars out of your wallet and into the hands of EMI. You also do not want anything at all to do with any of the other gimmick loads on the market. Among them Blind Side, Hypersonics and Black Cloud. There is simply no need to shell out the extra dollars for projectiles that are actually counter productive (disclaimer, the HyperSonics use standard round steel). The guns you listed are more than capable of killing large canadas out to 50 yards and probably a little beyond, with standard round steel loads of #1 through BB in 1 1/4oz loadings at 1400fps. Were I you, I'd start by patterning #1, Bs and BBs at 30 to 55 yards in 5 yard increments. I would begin with a factory modified choke and try the Kents, Winchester Dryloks and Remington Nitro Steel. You may also want to look at the Federal Speed Shok line, which tends to be a good bit less expensive yet very effective.

The last part of the equation is whether or not you can consistently (7 out of 10) hit crossing targets at 55 yards. If you can't, find out if you can at 50, then 45 and 40. Wherever that occurs should be your maximum shooting distance.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Banded1985 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Hevi Shot or Wingmaster HD. 3 inch, 1 1/2 ounce, #4 (close to mid range shot) or #2 (long range shot) at 1350 fps.
Banded1985
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 am

Kent makes a great shell no doubt, as many manufacturers do. I myself shoot several cases of 3" Hevi Metal BB's thru my Berettas and it gets the job done. :beer:
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 am

If you're using a layout blind, probably a decoy (range) situation? Pellet size #1 (regular steel) or smaller would (IMO) be the ticket.

Would not recommend Hevi Metal as (1) they are a spreader load and many have found produce sub-par patterns beyond ~30 yards and (2) the smaller "Hevi" (light) pellets in behind the steel pellets (up front) may well be cripple producers due to their smaller size and spreader tendencies.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:

You do not need a 3 1/2 inch gun or load to kill any goose in the world. The fact is that it is doubtful as to whether the long 12 is of any advantage at all.

Ukcatshunter wrote:Well the 3" load be effective? I figure I may need to bump up to BBB or BB and look into maybe a Heavy Metal type load?

You do not need Hevi anything, it's mostly a means of getting dollars out of your wallet and into the hands of EMI. You also do not want anything at all to do with any of the other gimmick loads on the market. Among them Blind Side, Hypersonics and Black Cloud. There is simply no need to shell out the extra dollars for projectiles that are actually counter productive (disclaimer, the HyperSonics use standard round steel). The guns you listed are more than capable of killing large canadas out to 50 yards and probably a little beyond, with standard round steel loads of #1 through BB in 1 1/4oz loadings at 1400fps. Were I you, I'd start by patterning #1, Bs and BBs at 30 to 55 yards in 5 yard increments. I would begin with a factory modified choke and try the Kents, Winchester Dryloks and Remington Nitro Steel. You may also want to look at the Federal Speed Shok line, which tends to be a good bit less expensive yet very effective.

The last part of the equation is whether or not you can consistently (7 out of 10) hit crossing targets at 55 yards. If you can't, find out if you can at 50, then 45 and 40. Wherever that occurs should be your maximum shooting distance.

Frank

In factory ammo, where is he going to get loads with #B shot? In a few years, #B may not be available to reloading - not enough demand.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:36 pm

If 1's pattern well for you, I think they are the best all-around shot size and certainly good enough for layout blind geese.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:54 pm

You can't kill anything with 3.5" that you can't kill with 3".....or at least you shouldn't be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:11 pm

I've bagged more geese with a 3-inch buffered Duplex hand load @ 1485 fps in the last 17 years than a boxcar will hold. I carry a 3.5-in. gun but hardly use 'em. I probably shot more 3.5's this year trying a new shotgun than the previous 10 years combined. If I was told the 3.5 shell was to be discontinued, I wouldn't give it a second thought. You can kill all the geese you want with a 3.0 provided you do your homework and find the right load/choke for your situation. If someone advises you otherwise it's folly.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes