Goldeneye Decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Goldeneye Decoys?

Postby Vtblkdog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 pm

What brands of goldeneye decoys are you guys using? Current spread is GHG and some sport plast. I like the size of the GHG but they don't seem to hold up well the keels crack off in the cold. Any other magnum sized decoys out there?
Vtblkdog
hunter

Re: Goldeneye Decoys?

Postby metsen duts » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 pm

tangle free look good but arent magnum
metsen duts
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:42 pm

Stocker decoys.

Tanglefree however they are good looking I don't think they will hold up well after using their mallards.

I to have ghg and they do look good but they suck in durability. I just rattle can them every summer. Just watch eBay and buy them pretty cheap and them it doesn't matter.

How do you like sportplats?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Vtblkdog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 am

The sportplast are alot more rugged then the GHG, they are just quite a bit smaller, they also have hens which is nice. They also don't crack when shot, in the three years we have had them the only ones that were lost were due to the prop or getting shot. I was thinking of ordering some quack jumbos to go with the smaller ones but there very expensive.
Vtblkdog
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 am

the GHG decoys suck...they are made with plastic that cracks easily in the cold....totally useless hunting above the Mason-Dixon line...

even if they look good.... all the GHG decoys I have in ducks crack where the keel strip meets the bottom of the decoy...my widgeon, my mallards and my golden eyes

will never buy another GHG duck decoy

I just bought 6 tanglefree goldeneye decoys this season...they look great and are foam filled!! so you can shoot cripples in the spread with out hesitation

we will see how they last

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I really like the tanglefrees, of course I designed them, so I'm a bit biased. They are making them at a new factory this year and I've been impressed with the paint on them. They are foam filled and are just a bit larger than a lifesize bird. I custom paint all of mine and do about 50% in drakes and 50% in hens and dirty drakes. We always have lots of immature drakes in this part of the country and the birds decoy better to the mixed group than they did to an all drake spread.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby hawgripper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 am

My Buddy makes some if your interested among others

You can check out his facebook page at big lake decoys.
Attachments
big lake decoy.jpg
big lake decoy.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
hawgripper
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 am

I just started targeting goldies this year, and I already blew my decoy budget, so I had to get creative. Ended up making a bunch of repaints, and they work. Shot my first barrows over them...

Sent from my space modulator.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1394803209723.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394803176170.jpg
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

Would you mind posting what brand of paint and colors you used for the hens? I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself. Lots of G-eyes up in the great white north.
AKWoody
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Tanglefree foam filled bluebills held up very well
KRB
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:38 pm

For the Golden eyes the Tanglefree are holding up well. We are running Tangle free goldeneye and bufflehead migration series which are foam filled. If you shoot one it's not the end of the world and there is no maintenance on them. Like Tol maker mentioned if your hard on them, the GHG will sink on you in cold weather.
jeepman
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:19 pm

it's pretty nice to have foam filled decoys for divers. As soon as I started designing for tanglefree I told them that they needed to foam fill the divers and sea ducks. I've always hunted over my own custom foamers for divers for the very reason you can shoot them and not have them sink. We put quite a bit of shot into our tanglefree diver decoys finishing cripples and they held up great.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm

hey woodduck what exactly is a dirty drake? thanks
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 am

We call immature or eclipsed drakes "dirty drakes". We do a lot of dirty drake mallards for northern states, canada, and New Zealand. New Zealand has a lot of pacific black and mallard hybrids that look a lot like early season mallards with dark bodies.

I've actually seen very few hunters in my region who actually decoy divers, it's almost all pass shooting. Most hunt from boats and just get under the flight path and bang away. I hunt on foot with a good retriever and need to put the birds in close in areas they really didn't intend to go. When it comes to divers most people use only drakes and do ok, but as most people also know, birds behave different from region to region and what works in one place doesn't necessarily work in others. We spent years watching bufflehead fly right on by our decoys which consisted of both goldeneye and bufflehead drakes, in the first seven years in that particular spot we decoyed one drake and one hen, it was pretty frustrating. We would see several dozen breeze by at about 50 yards on every hunt, but they just wouldn't come in. Everyone was telling us you only need drake decoys, but one friend back east said I needed to add hen decoys, so I did. It was like flipping a switch when we added hen bufflehead decoys, nearly every bufflehead we saw came in, landed or got shot at. The difference was night and day. I usually run 6 hen and 3 drake bufflehead decoys to have a mix of what we are generally seeing in our stretch of river. Divers are slow to mature and more often than not the groups of birds we see in our spot are hen heavy, or at least they appear that way at a distance. This past season we decided to try the same thing on goldeneye decoys and made a 50/50 spread of drakes as well as hens/dirty drakes. The season before we had done some counts on drake to hen ratios in goldeneye and it was far more hens than drakes. This past season when we added immature drakes and more hens our decoying ratio went up. Dirty drakes in divers probably aren't any different to a duck than the hen decoys, but I'm always trying for a more realistic set up with fewer decoys. We run only a dozen decoys or less, but try to make sure to keep the numbers even between the hens and drakes. An immature goldeneye drake will have a black bill, brown head and anywhere from a hint of a white patch on his face to a full blown white patch. I also believe that on a fully mature goldeneye drake decoy it's the black that is more important than the white when it comes to visibility.

Lots of guys will tell you to only use drakes for divers and it does probably work in their stretch of water, but it doesn't work where I hunt very well and didn't work at all for our buffleheads. I haven't noticed any difference in using dirty drakes for mallards in my area, but the guys in north dakota that have used them swear by them in early season.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I never saw guys go after Goldeneyes or Buffleheads until I moved to Idaho.
Divers always meant Redheads, Canvasbacks, or Bluebills, with the occasional Ringneck mixed in. All others were trash birds.
Heck! Most guys I knew back when, would rather hunt Ruddy Ducks!
It's still true with the guys I know.
Once saw a guy in our group kill a Hoody by mistake.
He'll die ashamed, I'm sure!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 pm

I target scaup, buffys, ringers and golden eyes on the snake in Idaho. I make all my beat up foundling decoys into divers. I repaint half as drakes and half as hens. Sometimes the divers actually DO want to decoy in and I'll happily shoot them if they do. But I'm no purist, just swinging them into a decent range works for me. I also run some coots, been thinking about painting more of my decoys dark like them. I hunted with a guy a few years ago, all his decoys had the paint falling off, most were almost black. Many ducks, both diver and puddler types came to their end that day.
rikasam2013
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting