Gumbo stock quest

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Gumbo stock quest

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:40 am

Would I be violating an unwritten gumbo chemistry law to make stock by adding wild turkey legs to a pot with two picked ducks? Or should I boil them separately, use the duck stock, and add turkey meat later? I know the ducks will have all the fat.
talltimber
hunter

Re: Gumbo stock quest

Postby talltimber » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:46 am

I cooked the two separately. I think I can mix the two stocks and be fine. The thing I learned, for those who have not tried, which I may be the only one, is that I have been missing out on this duck stock by breasting my birds and buying stock at the store for my gumbo. I had been mixing half chicken/half beef broth for my base. While I like that, I think this duck stock is going to be better.
The turkey stock, from the legs tastes good too. The thing with the turkey legs, as I was told after I got started, was that there are many bones in the leg, and to not overcook them, or I'd have a mess. There was some meat on the drumstick, it was a pain, boney, and tough. Turkeys have some tough and stringy drumsticks. The thigh though, awesome. A lot more tender, and way more meat.
Gumbo getting started today, will sit overnite, served for Sunday dinner.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking