decoy rigging

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

decoy rigging

Postby deadeyehawkins » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Getting new decoys this spring the only thing I've been thinking about is I would like to texas rig them yet the cost seems pretty crazy and if you get the pre rigged one's then they might not be long enough to reach the bottom in some area's that I hunt. The only other option would be old school of wrapping the keel with line and weight any suggestions to keep cost down have got to do thirty six decoys.
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Re: decoy rigging

Postby Catdaddy89 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Money ahead to just buy rig'ems I love them. I have the 30" and the 56"? I think anyway they do absolutely fine for me. I have hunted over the h+h, mojo, and the cabelas and I far prefer the rig'ems. The 30"s I use have seen 3 seasons without a hitch. I will add that I don't tie them in a knot like some people. That may keep them from catching on other things in the boat but it ruins the line and makes the weights not go to the end of the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catdaddy89
hunter

Postby deadeyehawkins » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:54 pm

thanks for the help
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Postby Danny Weatherford » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:52 pm

I changed most of my spread over this year to Texas Rigs and done it fairly cheap. I found Qty:200, 400lb Mono pre-cut at 48" on ebay for $18.00 and 400 crimps for $8.00, then a buddy went to a local tire shop and filled up a 5 gallon bucket on old tire weights, another buddy made a model for 6oz weights. So it total we had roughly $35-40 in supplies and a few hours in labor to complete 200 Texas Rigs. Their is no way I would ever spend $35-40 for only 12 by one of the "Big Name" company but I will buy one of their decoy bags... :beer:
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby deadeyehawkins » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 pm

good thought on the tire weight deal never even thought about that weights are one of the most expensive parts of the whole rig.
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Postby Danny Weatherford » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 pm

yea man most tire shops will give them away (at least around here) and you can make a mold out of wood... they have worked flawlessly all season...
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 pm

400lb mono and crimps, then swivels, and weights. I poured my own weights and put together the rigs my self.

MAKE SURE you have the weight crimped stationary on one side of the line, so line slides through the swivel loop, then the loop stops on the swivel that is clipped on the decoy. makes for much easier picking up the decoys as you dont have to get your hands soaking wet to find the loop to put it on your clip that hold all the decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Rig Em' Right has a DIY kit that I just bought. It has enough in the kit (weights not included) to make 36, 8 ft. rigs :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Catdaddy89 wrote:Money ahead to just buy rig'ems I love them. I have the 30" and the 56"? I think anyway they do absolutely fine for me. I have hunted over the h+h, mojo, and the cabelas and I far prefer the rig'ems. The 30"s I use have seen 3 seasons without a hitch. I will add that I don't tie them in a knot like some people. That may keep them from catching on other things in the boat but it ruins the line and makes the weights not go to the end of the line.

The Mojo texas style rigs are actually built correctly UNLIKE the Rig'em uhh.. right.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Catdaddy89 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:38 pm

I just hate the mono, I do agree the pull through loop is a great feature. I can't stand mono because of it's kinking and tangling characteristics. Other than that I have no knock on Mojos design. If I were to build my own it would be a rig'em style cord with mojo design. I assumed when I read the original post this fellow was looking for a good store bought rig. I have given him my honest opinion in the matter. Sorry for making the ASSumption lol

Catdaddy89
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Texas rig I use dark green weed eater line and fencing crimps its a whole lot cheaper than buying pre mades
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:25 pm

There are four other guys that I sometimes hunt with, generally not all at the same time. Of the five of us, one guys Texas-rigs his decoys. His are the only decoys that we seem to have problems with.
The rest of us wrap the 40" decoy lines/weights around the keels or heads and put the decoys in a bag. Never had any tangling problems and the way I place decoys (one at a time, not thrown), it works better for me.
The mushroom anchors we use (not the egg-type on T-rigged) hold better in our soft bottoms, even for weights that don't weigh quite as much. You may call me old-skool.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Catdaddy89 wrote:I just hate the mono, I do agree the pull through loop is a great feature. I can't stand mono because of it's kinking and tangling characteristics. Other than that I have no knock on Mojos design. If I were to build my own it would be a rig'em style cord with mojo design. I assumed when I read the original post this fellow was looking for a good store bought rig. I have given him my honest opinion in the matter. Sorry for making the ASSumption lol

yeah, the mono does have some memory but I dont find it to be a problem. I store all my decoys with the lines clipped together but slacked pretty much all the decoys are in a pile in my sled. Then during the season and between hunts I hang them in my garage, and I have noticed that the Mojo rigs I have to have more memory than the SNL corp 400lb mono fishing line I have all my others rigged with.

No harm on assumption, I just didnt want the OP to think that he was getting a true Texas rig with the Rig 'em right, because on a true texas rig the weight will not slide. I was in awe with the Rig 'em right system the first time I used them because of the speed, then I got a doz. of the Mojo rigs and found the flaws of the Rig 'em right system. The Rig 'em right system is a decent system, but I just find it to be an annoyance to have to run my hand all the way down the line soaking my gloves to hook it on the gang clip.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby MO duck slayer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Lifetime decoy rigging, will last forever. You can tie them in knots and they come in 72, 48, 30 inches. And great carabiners.
MO duck slayer
hunter

Postby Lifetime Decoys » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Give our rigs a look, we have the only 3 year warranty in the industry, and it's because we're the only ones that can. Our lines are made of coated cable which doesn't have the memory that mono does, which allows for fewer tangles. They're also designed correctly, where the loop sits at the keel and not down in the mud. Plus, we're DHC sponsors!

www.lifetimedecoys.com
Lifetime Decoys
DHC Sponsor

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have few questions. About what length rigs best to go with 36, 60 inchs? I will wrap it around the keel so what line to go with 400 lb mono, weedeater line, braded catfish line? Again sorry to highjack the tread.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby Lifetime Decoys » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:14 am

Swampfoxforeman wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but I have few questions. About what length rigs best to go with 36, 60 inchs? I will wrap it around the keel so what line to go with 400 lb mono, weedeater line, braded catfish line? Again sorry to highjack the tread.

That depends on what kind of water you're hunting. If it's rice fields, 30 inches is plenty. If you're in a tidal situation, a 72" may be your best bet. A 48" rig is a good all around setup.
Lifetime Decoys
DHC Sponsor

Postby decoycarver » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Tire companies will give wheel weights away-they have to pay disposal fees-get weight molds from fishing supply places, I also got Decoy anchor molds from on line. all types.--small to large ring type.-and by they way they make PERFECT BULETS--ammo still being bought up by the billions of rounds by the Gov.so if your car is off Balance in needed more !! When you do smelt the weights--be well ventilated, use heavy gloves, eye protection, old spoons or ladles to scoop out the waste.( clips, etc )-keep dry-hot lead and water will splatter and really burns ..go slow.let cool leave your new poured items out side to dull up. :yes:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

decoycarver wrote:Tire companies will give wheel weights away-they have to pay disposal fees-get weight molds from fishing supply places, I also got Decoy anchor molds from on line. all types.--small to large ring type.-and by they way they make PERFECT BULETS--ammo still being bought up by the billions of rounds by the Gov.so if your car is off Balance in needed more !! When you do smelt the weights--be well ventilated, use heavy gloves, eye protection, old spoons or ladles to scoop out the waste.( clips, etc )-keep dry-hot lead and water will splatter and really burns ..go slow.let cool leave your new poured items out side to dull up. :yes:

Hard to find a tire shop that will give away lead wheel weights. They usually have a contract with the recycle company and can not give the lead weights away.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:Hard to find a tire shop that will give away lead wheel weights. They usually have a contract with the recycle company and can not give the lead weights away.

I've found the same thing; anything made of lead or with lead in it (old car batteries, etc.) is worth $$ from the recyclers. The tire shops aren't giving it away anymore.... :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 pm

What is the difference between 400 and 300 pound mono? Which would be better to Rick decoys with?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Swampfoxforeman wrote:What is the difference between 400 and 300 pound mono? Which would be better to Rick decoys with?

obviously the weight/ strength and thickness will be the biggest differences. you can use both, but the 300lb will be a little easier to work with and more flexible, with a little less memory.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum