another newbie

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

another newbie

Postby dragonfly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Hello i am new here my husband found the forum he just got in to goose hunitng and duck hunting this year with a friend of ours and he is wanting me to try to go some time i love to shot but have never been duck hunting. last saturday we had a women on target class we paied to get in and they taught us the proper way to handle rifles,revovlers,and semi-automatics, i already knew because my husband taught me but i learned while i was there i always thought i was right eyed dominet but i learned i was left and when i started shooting left sided i really improved, and then we went and had lunch and then we started shooting clay targets my first time we where using a 28gauge and i was having a lot of fun. my husband want me to try to start shooting a 12gauge does anyone have any suggustion about a good one to learn on i am scared of the kicking as i am small 5'1". thank you for your help and i am sorry i did not mean to write a book.
Dragonfly
dragonfly
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:20 am

hi, welcome. Your gun choice for least amount of recoil will be a semi-auto. Gas operated being the better. Depending on the money you have to spend, the top end would be Benelli, Browning, Remington. Pumps and over/unders will kick more. The gun also needs to fit you. different length's on the stock will make your gun lay differnent when you shoulder the gun. Have a gun shop fit you. BTW, my wife shoots a Benelli 20ga auto. I love that gun. She does a great job duck hunting with it. Most shots are no more than 20-30 yards anyway. So, if you don't want to have the added kick of a 12, a 20ga does the job. Good luck!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dragonfly » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:01 pm

thanks for your advice i really appreciate it
Dragonfly
dragonfly
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:35 pm

I concure with the advice given. You can read over the posts in the shotgun forum for more details on fit, etc..

If looking for a left handed model, that will really narrow down the models, as many are not made for left handed people.

You could use a 20 ga in pump, o/u ,etc. but as mentioned if in the 12 ga, you should consider a 12 ga gas operated which has lower kick. Also, being because of your petite size, posssibly a youth model gun would fit you better than a standard as the stock is shorter. Like mentioned, a good gun store can steer you right on selection and fit for you. Good luck shooting this Falll :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby dragonfly » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:42 pm

thanks everyone for the wonderful advice i really appreciate it. and hope to maybe go hunting in a couple of weeks.
Dragonfly
dragonfly
hunter

Postby Brooksauvieisland » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:41 pm

I am also about 5'1 and have been hunting with the same remington youth model for about 8 years! There is not much of a kick just slightly kicks upwards. I started with a 410 youth which actually is really light and fun. You have to let the birds work with this gun. This has no kick. I would go with a semi-autotmatic next time around. Hope that helps.
Brooksauvieisland
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:42 pm

:welcome:

I'm also right handed, left-eye dominant. I shoot a 20 gauge Beretta Urika autoloader and the kick doesn't bother me at all. Nice thing about this - and probably a lot of autoloaders - is that it's really easy to adjust the cast (which way the stock tilts) and the safety and all that good stuff for left-handed shooting. I did it myself, though I had to borrow my neighbor's torque wrench to put the stock back on. And don't even worry about the fact that the spent shells spit out on the right side - it's just not a problem.

Aside from those changes, my gun fit fine right off the shelf. But I'm about 5'8" with pretty long arms, so you may need other modifications for fit. But go for it! Just go to your local gun store and start picking up guns until you find one that feels good. It's like trying on clothes, just more expensive. But man, it's so fun. You won't regret it!
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Ducks4Coach » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:38 am

You'll do fine with a 12 gauge. My wife is 5'2" and she shoots my Mossberg 500 all the time, with no problems. Just make sure you shoulder the gun properly.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum