Alot of new people...Tell us about yourself

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Re: Alot of new people...Tell us about yourself

Postby Biff42 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Hey everyone, my name's Brian. I'm 28 and live in Whitewater, with my beautiful wife and 2 kids (9 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy) been there for 4 years, from the Twin Cities originally (go Favre). I love sports, especially baseball, I also read a lot in the summer, and I'm a teacher in Beloit. Started duck hunting 3 years ago though I've Pheasant hunted since about 7th grade with my dad in his native "God's Country" (No. Dak.).
Personally I love getting ducks and geese who doesn't, but I can have a great time just getting out there and observing nature. Well it's teacher's convention weekend, so I'm off for 4 days of hunting, see you all later.
Biff42
Newb

Postby nerksa_nayr52 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm a 19 year old. Originally from Muscatine, Iowa but currently going to school at UW- Stevens Point for wildlife ecology. I've been duck hunting since I was about 10. I've had the oppurtunity to hunt in Manitoba everywhere as well as Wisconsin, Missouri, Texas, Illinois, Maryland and, of course, my home state of Iowa. I'm heading back up to Manitoba tomorrow :smile:
I have also gotten the opportunity to work with Environment Canada at Karrak Lake Research Site in Nunavut with snows, ross's and king eider and on the YK Delta in Alaska with emperor geese. I also am a professional photographer and represented by www.wildlifepictures.be.
I haven't gotten to do much hunting since I've been in Wisconsin and would appreciate anyone that is close and needs an extra gun! Take care.

Ryan Askren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25024899@N07/
nerksa_nayr52
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Welcome aboard Ryan and Brian!

Ryan, You need to skip college and go right into photography. Are you sure National Geographic isn't looking for an aspiring photojournalist? AWESOME, JUST PLAIN AWESOME! Please keep those photos coming. I love the water scenes! Dude, you have an eye!

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckaholic80 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:30 am

My name is Josh. I am newer to the Appleton area. I am from the LaCrosse area and use to hunt on the back waters of the Mississippi River. I am a duckaholic. I live for duck hunting every year and I also sneak out and do some goose hunting in the Beaver Dam area. I have not gotten any duck hunting in this year though as I do not know where to go, nor had time to scout out any spots. If anyone has suggestions or is willing to take me out on a weekend that would be great. I work for a financial, and some of my other hobbies are golf and softball.
duckaholic80
hunter

Postby WisconsinAddict » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 am

Ok heres my story. I live in the Wausau area of Wisconsin. I am 24 years old married and with my first kid on the way. I am an avid fisherman and fish several tourneys during the year (bass mostly). I also bow hunt, rifle hunt, muzzleload, bear hunt, I've gone pheasant hunting in Iowa, and ice fish. I decided to try waterfowl hunting this year for a couple of reasons. First of all the deer population is terrible this year and I needed something else to try. Secondly my cousin and my buddy have been doing this for years and trying to convince me to try it. So my first time out was early season goose and the birds had decided that day to try somewhere else. Then during exterior season we limited out between 5 of us and i was hooked. So far this year I've shot about 14 geese, 6 mallards, a redhead, and a merganser. Not a great year thus far but I'm learning.
WisconsinAddict
hunter

Postby j_volkman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 am

I just moved to Horicon a couple of years ago and I am trying to take up duck/goose hunting out of the marsh.
Are there any groups around where guys can get together and share tips and tricks? I have been out on the marsh about a half a dozen times and have not yet shot a duck. Not sure if it is equipment, calling, technique, etc..
I generally hunt alone and have a boat with a blind, decoys, calls, etc.
I'm not looking for any secret spots, just a hand in figuring this sport out.

Thanks in advance!

j_volkman
j_volkman
hunter

Postby Duckweezy_87 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Hello every one my name is Ryan iam from Prairie Du Chien WI iam 22 iam a freshmen at Winona mn to get my welding degree. I live with my girlfriend and 4 other women in Winona. Iam addicted to duck hunting. I have hunted since I was 12 with my father and my twin brother and my buddies. What I love about duck hunting would have to be me and my buddies out on those super cold days where the wind is ether coming out of the north or the south ripping throw my blind at 20 miles hour and overcast and how the ducks fly low to cut throw the wind and trying to blow yr calls but being restricted from them being frozen and the ducks turning after blowing hot breaths and then filially getting yr call warm to let off that comeback call, turning and locking up tight and maple leafing hard into the decoys to fine you have 20 migrating green head mallards a foot off the water and u aim steady at that first green head and squeeze your trigger and yr gun goes CLICK...... ! I have hunted everyday except for the 2 weeks in mid November. I hunt pool 5A pool 7 pool 8 pools 9 pool 10 on the Mississippi. I have shot over 195 birds this year having it be the worst year I have ever had!
03-31-2007, 09:12 AM
" Just because Nature has given us more than we can ever repay, doesnt mean we shouldnt try." "call'um in kill'em all"
Duckweezy_87
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Duckweezy_87 wrote: I live with my girlfriend and 4 other women in Winona.

My goodness man! Well, at least you are developing patience skills that may help your hunting! :thumbsup:

Brandon here, 28, from Twin Falls, Idaho. Finishing my PhD in Ecology and moving to Madison for a ~2 year postdoc beginning in March. I grew up duck and goose hunting in Idaho but got out of it when I started college. I am STOKED to get into some good Wisconsin waterfowling and hope to learn some stuff and meet some folks here on the forum! If anyone is looking for a duck hunting partner around Madison, let me know!!!
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac, 1949
freebird134
hunter

Postby Bundy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey all,
I'll start with a little about me. My name is Bret I'm 34 years young and I live in Janesville. I am married to great wife that likes to hunt and fish. I commute to Madison where I work as a HVAC/R technician for Edgewood College on lake Wingra WI. I've been a avid duck hunter on and off from the age of 8. I spent a lot of my youth following my dad out to the big marsh in Meadow Valley every fall. Many long walks down the dikes are memories I will never forget, nor getting rained on by big orange feet coming down from Canada in late season. As the years have gone by I have drifted away from hunting Meadow Valley as my dad relocated to Millston WI and I live in Janesville WI. I recently had my Labrador named Bert who was my hunting companion and best friend pass on. After a lot of thinking about all the good times Bert and I had out duck hunting it's time to get back to some wing shooting. I'm hoping to find some marsh a little closer to home and make some new friends that share the passion for duck hunting. I am looking forward to finding a good lab pup to train and hoping to have some great tips on duck hunting from experience shared on the board. Well thanks for reading this far. Good shooting and good memories.
Bundy
hunter

Postby TieAFly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:41 am

My name is Tristan. I'm 27 years old. I grew up in Milwaukee, but just this year moved to the West Bend area. I'm a first generation hunter, you could say. No one in my family hunts. My dad took me fishing as a kid (we had a boat, and a cabin on Wind Lake), but I didn't reallr generate an interest until college (not enough patience as a kid). Right now I'm pursuing my Ph.D in geology at UWM. I've had the chance to travel the world while pursuing my degree, but I still love WI more than anything.

I decided to take hunters education this summer, largely a result of a change in thinking regarding the hows and whys of our food supply and the environmental affects of industrial farming. I try to eat locally as much as possible, and that of course includes hunting local game animals. I bought a used Mossberg 500 and have really enjoyed shooting sporting clays. It's a blast!

I must admit, there is something in the hunting experience... waking up at 6am, hitting the field while it is still cold and frost-covered... watching the sun rise, and anticipating the flight of a game bird... damn, it is exciting. There is something instictive about it; I've never done it, but I'm drawn to it. I look forward to bagging my first game bird.
TieAFly
hunter

Postby duckman 43 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

My name is Noah, I am 17 years old, I live in Bloomer wisconsin and am currently a senior in high school. I live with my dad and brother work on my friend's farm during the summer. I hunt every day of duck season I possibly can be it after school or all day long on the weekend. This year im hoping for my first band! :thumbsup: I recently introduced a buddy of mine to duck hunting and he is now hooked on it! When im not in school,working, or duck hunt you can find me fishing,bow hunting, or pretty much any other type of hunting in season! Good luck this fall guys, If it flies it dies! :thumbsup:
duckman 43
hunter

Postby appletonduckman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi all, My name is JayDe and I live in Appleton WI. i am new to duck hunting and want to learn alot about it. I am going to be building a duck boat this year. If anybody has an idea of places to go please let me know due to not having a clue of where to go.
appletonduckman
Newb

Postby take'em! » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:11 pm

My name is Nate and i just joined the forum about a month or so ago and love it! Only been duck hunting for a couple years now and still learning the ropes. I am trying to do it the "right" way and not the "skyblaster" way! My first love is bowhunting however that may change as i get more and more into loving waterfowling! Just got my first little boat. I work as a engineering test technician at Gehl Company, but am going to school partime to finish my Mechanical engineering degree. 23 years old and just got married. Live in Fredonia, i think that is about it! Good luck this season guys!!
take'em!
hunter

Postby GunDawg420 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey all, :hi:

My name is Tyler, I live in Waunakee with my Black Lab, Zoe...I've been an avid conservationist since as far back as I can remember, and I've been hunting ducks and geese for just as long!
I love everything about waterfowling and I plan to keep doin it until I physically cant anymore!

And remember, no waterfowl hunt is complete without a Lab retrieving your birds!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers and happy hunting! :beer:
Last edited by GunDawg420 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Postby holzy82 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 am

Hey, I just joined last week. My name is Dan, I live in Marshfield and hunt the McMillan Marsh area. I like grouse hunting the best, but ducks are a close second, and that's whats around Marshfield, so I spend most of my time doing that. I also hunt deer, turkeys, geese, and sometimes rabbits, I also started trapping on my own last year. I grew up on a little river near Ft. Atkinson hunting and trapping with my dad and brothers. I lived in southern Illinois for a few years and deer and duck hunted down there as well. I've never been too successful hunting but with my education and work background in hydrology and ecological restoration I thoroughly enjoy any time in the woods, grasslands, swamps etc. I just finished building a cedar strip canoe and it made its maiden duck hunting voyage last weekend with a first time duck hunter riding in front. We jumped some wood ducks off the bank and he bagged two of them, I think he's hooked. We ended up with 5 for the day and explored some new territory, it was a blast. I cant wait to get back out again.
holzy82
hunter

Postby jlee28 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:55 pm

my name is john. living in milwaukee. just started waterfowl hunting about two years ago and instantly got hooked! shooting a benelli supernova. also got one band within my short waterfowl career under my belt. FELT GREAT when i saw that!

jlee28
hunter

Postby abmcp13 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Sam Worple and I am originally from Janesville, WI. I am currently a Junior going to school at UW-Eau Claire and I'm duck hunting every weekend. I got started duck hunting my freshman year, and since then it's the only hunting I do aside from pheasant. I love to hunt the Mississippi and will be down there every weekend come November, right now my boat is out of commission :mad: , so I have to settle hunting back home and up north.
abmcp13
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Sam, Did your Dad graduate from Craig High School? I vaguely remember that name last name from school? Could have been from Junior High as well....Edison perhaps?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby abmcp13 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Pete, he did graduate from Craig in '81, he went to marshall for junior high though.
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Postby boontize » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:45 pm

new to this and can anyone tell me y theres so many douch bags give me s*** about the dumbest things
boontize
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey Guys,
Been here for awhile but just decided to post a little about me. I live in Waukesha, WI where I was born and raised. I am 21 and have a girlfriend of 4 years named Cassy and a 2yo Black Lab named Surge. I hunt pretty much within a 100 mile radius of Waukesha. Have 4 bands under my belt and one little Morning Dove band! I am a Turbine Engine Machninist at MetalTek Internation in Waukesha.
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby redneck12350 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi I'm dylan kennedy born is jacksonville florida in 99 then moved to texas, california, illinois and now WI. my dad is in the navy and just hit the 30 year mark last week. I grew hunting and fishing and still continue today. we have 1000+ acres in south wi and norther il and do the work for it. i deer, duck, turkey, goose, dove hunt, and do lots of fishing on lake michigan. I have shot plenty on animals in my life and plan on shooting more. I am 14 and is gonna try and go navy seals after high school. just wanted everybody to know
thanks
redneck12350
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

redneck12350 wrote:Hi I'm dylan kennedy born is jacksonville florida in 99 then moved to texas, california, illinois and now WI. my dad is in the navy and just hit the 30 year mark last week. I grew hunting and fishing and still continue today. we have 1000+ acres in south wi and norther il and do the work for it. i deer, duck, turkey, goose, dove hunt, and do lots of fishing on lake michigan. I have shot plenty on animals in my life and plan on shooting more. I am 14 and is gonna try and go navy seals after high school. just wanted everybody to know
thanks

Need any friends? Lol

You're a lucky kid to have a dad who thought about his kid and bought property. They are not making more of it!

Welcome to Wisconsin.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby redneck12350 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm

no we dont not own any land besides the 3 acres we live on we go out and ask farmers and do work for them like bailing hay or shovling rotten corn out of silos and my parents got 7 kids to feed so we have to work double time but yah we dont buy any land we just work for the farmer and i sure does pay off
redneck12350
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Well done! I have 8 siblings myself, so I certainly understand what hard work equals.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting