Shooting large geese

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Shooting large geese

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Haven't done any goose-specific hunting until recently, I am now hooked and plan on doing a lot more of it next season.
While shooting 10-15lb residents/greaters/giants I (and everyone else who hunts with me) have found them extremely difficult to kill past about 40 yards. Inside 40yds we have been stoning them with 10s and 12s but past that distance it's like shooting a big pillow. They just absorb it, puff of feathers comes off, they fly away. Today I center punched one with my 10ga using 1 1/2oz of BBs at 50ish yds, same thing as described in last sentence. We pattern all our guns with all the new loads and chokes we use before the season, so that isn't the problem.
I've kinda come to the conclusion that:
A. Past about 40yds, people shoot them in the head/neck only?
or
B. Experienced goose hunters don't even attempt to take longer shots.

Only thing I can think of is to use a smaller shot size and shoot them like a turkey at longer distances.

Anyway, was wondering how other folks on here do it?
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: Shooting large geese

Postby micneador » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 am

I still have a few boxes of the old remington hevi shot. When there's a chance, I do slip a box in the bag specificly for them.
I've gotten lucky and anchored a few of them on long shots.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:44 am

micneador wrote:I still have a few boxes of the old remington hevi shot. When there's a chance, I do slip a box in the bag specificly for them.
I've gotten lucky and anchored a few of them on long shots.

That sounds like it would do the trick...but not a very feasible option if you hunt them often. I'm limited to steel and probably just doesn't have the penetration past 40ish yds.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby The Real Old Guy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:34 pm

I've had my most success using T's and BBB's.
Still, you're probably better off if you shoot at the head.
The Real Old Guy
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Definatly not feasable for guys that shoot geese a lot no.
But my cousin out in norman hunts almost exclusivly geese, he shoots his first 2 steel then follows up last with a tungsten.
micneador
hunter

Postby The Real Old Guy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Please explain what you mean by: "not feasible."
The Real Old Guy
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:06 pm

When you have a 6 goose limit, it would be super expensive to shoot nothing but a 10 round $25+ box of ammo. Even if you shoot 6 for 6. And that's not even counting if you have snows workin the spread.

Unless you make the big bucks, its not possible to be shooting these shells day in and day out.
micneador
hunter

Postby JDog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 pm

We kill a pretty good number of big geese but usually they're within 20-35 yards in the kill hole. Even then, some of those birds can take a load and still try to make their way out of the spread. If we're targeting bigs, the majority of the time we're shooting 3 1/2" BBs.

I guess if you're having trouble killing them out past 40 yds, the best piece of advise I would give is to work them in closer or don't shoot.
JDog
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:28 pm

JDog wrote:We kill a pretty good number of big geese but usually they're within 20-35 yards in the kill hole. Even then, some of those birds can take a load and still try to make their way out of the spread. If we're targeting bigs, the majority of the time we're shooting 3 1/2" BBs.

I guess if you're having trouble killing them out past 40 yds, the best piece of advise I would give is to work them in closer or don't shoot.

That seems to be the best thing to do. Still curious to see if anyone has tried a smaller (#4-#2ish) shot size and has had success head and neck shooting them at longer distances. Consistently. I know fishfurlife uses #4s but pretty sure he shoots mainly little geese?
Rogers always has Federal 10ga #3s in stock, tempting to buy some and do some patterning.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby JDog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
JDog wrote:We kill a pretty good number of big geese but usually they're within 20-35 yards in the kill hole. Even then, some of those birds can take a load and still try to make their way out of the spread. If we're targeting bigs, the majority of the time we're shooting 3 1/2" BBs.

That seems to be the best thing to do. Still curious to see if anyone has tried a smaller (#4-#2ish) shot size and has had success head and neck shooting them at longer distances. Consistently. I know fishfurlife uses #4s but pretty sure he shoots mainly little geese?
Rogers always has Federal 10ga #3s in stock, tempting to buy some and do some patterning.

Had some first hand experience with it this afternoon by accident. We had a single come in that lit about 30 yds out in the kill hole. Buddy went to put the turkey shoot on him and 10 ringed him. Big goose jumped up and took off but I backed him up. He quickly realized he loaded his gun with 3" #4s.
JDog
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:46 am

JDog wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Had some first hand experience with it this afternoon by accident. We had a single come in that lit about 30 yds out in the kill hole. Buddy went to put the turkey shoot on him and 10 ringed him. Big goose jumped up and took off but I backed him up. He quickly realized he loaded his gun with 3" #4s.

I've been using a Terror .720 in my 10ga which is equivalent to turkey choke constriction. I think if I use a load with enough shot in it that is a small enough shot size, hopefully I'll be able to achieve a turkey-like pattern. Actually if I could get a killing pattern with my 10ga model 176, I could use that one specifically for longer shots and have BBBs in my BPS.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Have taken birds of that size to 60+ yards with steel #1's at 1500+ FPS/MV as these pellets will do the job on head/neck area and break wings as well. Just make sure your pattern has the appropriate density (read: choke) for that distance. It is my go-to pellet size for large-race canada geese.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Shooting large geese

Postby okduckdude » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm

I have figured out that if I use anything larger than a #3 my pattern with my long range choke is inconstant and falls apart because the bb's bounce off of one another.

But to answer your question, I shoot everything close. It keeps me from looking like a idiot.,...
Last edited by okduckdude on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 pm

When shooting big fat stupid geese. Treat them like a turkey. Lead for a head or neck shot. I don't shoot at many birds past 40 though. As many already know around here from days gone by, I hunt with #4's. Never had any problems.
fishfurlife
hunter

Shooting large geese

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:53 pm

In fact I lead all honkers for a head or neck shot/ placement of the shot string. Regardless of their size.

Oh and in all reality, killing a duck or goose consistently beyond 40 yards is a task in itself. If you think you can do it then set a skeet thrower out at 40 yards and throw a crossing or crossing/fading pattern and see just how good you are at it. While shooting steel of coarse. A very large majority of us, me included would be grossly embarrassed by the results.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 pm

fishfurlife wrote:In fact I lead all honkers for a head or neck shot/ placement of the shot string. Regardless of their size.

Oh and in all reality, killing a duck or goose consistently beyond 40 yards is a task in itself. If you think you can do it then set a skeet thrower out at 40 yards and throw a crossing or crossing/fading pattern and see just how good you are at it. While shooting steel of coarse. A very large majority of us, me included would be grossly embarrassed by the results.

A duck is a little bigger than a clay target....and I've killed many past 40yds. I pattern my 10 and 12 beyond 40 and shoot my share of clays in the offseason. And we are much more likely to take an overhead shot at 40+ because that is where you get picked apart and it's a high percentage shot. Sometimes our situation doesn't allow for decoying shots every time. If it is one of those days, when a good shot presents itself we will take it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 pm

We should entitle this "Confessions of a Sky Buster".......
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Shooting large geese

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:33 pm

X
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Bill Parks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

okduckdude wrote:We should entitle this "Confessions of a Sky Buster".......

X2.
Bill Parks
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Bill Parks wrote:
okduckdude wrote:We should entitle this "Confessions of a Sky Buster".......

X2.

:huh: Not sure if you're being serious or not, but if you guys are trying to tell me it's THAT uncommon to find a hunter that can consistently make 40+ yard shots you are mistaken. Hell, I've been on dove hunts where I've killed half my limit past 40yds.
During one mallard hunt this January I hit a drake twice, both hits past 40yds. First shot sent it toward the ground almost vertically, second shot folded it. It was an overhead type shot, felt good, so I took it. Not much sky got busted on that one. I could recite example after example of these shots taken by me and other people who hunt with me. We've hunted long enough to know if a longer bird that's in range would be a high percentage shot or not. Part of it also depends on how we are shooting that particular day.
Sounds like some of you guys just can't hit the broad side of a barn.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Bill Parks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Haven't done any goose-specific hunting until recently, I am now hooked and plan on doing a lot more of it next season.
While shooting 10-15lb residents/greaters/giants I (and everyone else who hunts with me) have found them extremely difficult to kill past about 40 yards. Inside 40yds we have been stoning them with 10s and 12s but past that distance it's like shooting a big pillow. They just absorb it, puff of feathers comes off, they fly away. Today I center punched one with my 10ga using 1 1/2oz of BBs at 50ish yds, same thing as described in last sentence. We pattern all our guns with all the new loads and chokes we use before the season, so that isn't the problem.
I've kinda come to the conclusion that:
A. Past about 40yds, people shoot them in the head/neck only?
or
B. Experienced goose hunters don't even attempt to take longer shots.

Only thing I can think of is to use a smaller shot size and shoot them like a turkey at longer distances.

Anyway, was wondering how other folks on here do it?

Wondering how other folks do it.. B

"I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load" - Bob Brister
Bill Parks
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Tom Roster, The Man when it comes to steel shot performs a competition at each training program that he does. Has done them for a long long time. A series of 8 shots on crossing clays.

Rules are easy. Break 4 or more clays and move on to the next yardage. Starting at 20, moving to 30, then 40. He deals with plenty of people that can handle a shotgun. Of the several thousand he has given this test to, less than 5 have ever made it to the 40 yard marker and broke 4 or more clays at 40. Shooting steel shot. I have seen a few hundred make a pass at this test. Roughly 15 made it to the 40 yard shot. One broke 3 clays.

I am not speaking of anyone in specific. Just being general. I don't care how good your gun patterns. Consistently making shots at 40+ yards is extremely rare. People may kill them that far out but they are burning a load of shells to do it.

Especially in goose hunting. You finish geese and start in on them. If you are with me, the geese are inside of fifteen yards, most likely ten yards. By the time the geese make 40 yards you might, and that's a big might, have a glimpse at something other than their backside.

Everyone is different, I understand that. An overhead 40 yard shot is not the same as a crossing shot but still requires a proper lead. It's not a shot that is made on my hunts. My point is that I have no reason to make or call a low percentage shot on my hunts. When I join someone on a hunt, I play by their rules, however I still won't take long shots. I do t like the sound of pellets thumping the bird without the bird thumping the ground.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Bill Parks wrote:Wondering how other folks do it.. B

"I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load" - Bob Brister

First of all I was specifically referring to shooting large geese past 40yds when I asked that question. Since then, people like you have turned this thread into talking generally about skybusting waterfowl.

If you think I'M skybusting by KILLING birds dead at 40yds, go to the shotshell/ballistics forum and get you an eyeful of that sh1t. Guys on there such as UmatillaJeff claiming they can consistently kill birds past 60yds. SIXTY yards. 20 yards farther than what I consider a long shot for me.

@ your quote which is overused on this website: thanks for confirming my methods. I always pattern my guns, never shoot at ducks beyond killing range, and part of the reason why I made this thread was to see if anyone was getting any killing penetration on large race Canada geese past 40yds.

People like you really p1ss me off. You sit back and judge people on here when you've never met them, no idea who they are, and no idea what their skills are.
I can understand if you acted the same way toward someone talking about shooting past 55yds or so because that's where most steel shot sizes start to lose their minimum penetration as determined by Tom Roster, but 40 yards? Give me a break.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm

fishfurlife wrote:Tom Roster, The Man when it comes to steel shot performs a competition at each training program that he does. Has done them for a long long time. A series of 8 shots on crossing clays.

Rules are easy. Break 4 or more clays and move on to the next yardage. Starting at 20, moving to 30, then 40. He deals with plenty of people that can handle a shotgun. Of the several thousand he has given this test to, less than 5 have ever made it to the 40 yard marker and broke 4 or more clays at 40. Shooting steel shot. I have seen a few hundred make a pass at this test. Roughly 15 made it to the 40 yard shot. One broke 3 clays.

I am not speaking of anyone in specific. Just being general. I don't care how good your gun patterns. Consistently making shots at 40+ yards is extremely rare. People may kill them that far out but they are burning a load of shells to do it.

Especially in goose hunting. You finish geese and start in on them. If you are with me, the geese are inside of fifteen yards, most likely ten yards. By the time the geese make 40 yards you might, and that's a big might, have a glimpse at something other than their backside.

Everyone is different, I understand that. An overhead 40 yard shot is not the same as a crossing shot but still requires a proper lead. It's not a shot that is made on my hunts. My point is that I have no reason to make or call a low percentage shot on my hunts. When I join someone on a hunt, I play by their rules, however I still won't take long shots. I do t like the sound of pellets thumping the bird without the bird thumping the ground.

Again, shooting live birds, especially big ones, is a little different than shooting hand sized disks. I have seen people destroy the clay pigeons, but opening day of dove season comes and they look silly because they don't have good enough timing on their shots.

If Tom Roster conducts this competition and sees this, then I have a question for him. Why does his recommended shot size/distance table, which is published in the OK waterfowl guide every year, show recommendations for 50yds, 60yds, 65yds....
That just encourages people to attempt those shots and if he does this competition like you say, I'd think he would realize the implications of it and what effect it will have on people.

About the 40yd overhead shot, yes it requires a lead. A longer lead than what a 25yd shot would require. Despite this, I know for a fact there are a number of people on this site and in real life that can wear out the ducks on a shot like that. It's a high percentage shot (to someone that can hit the broad side of a barn) because all the vitals are exposed and your target is larger.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:01 pm

I am not judging you by any means. None at all. I don't care how you hunt. Honestly, I don't. Do it how you want. It really makes no difference to me.

I answered your question in my original response. I always lead for ahead or neck shot. Easiest place on their entire body to get penetration through any feathers.

I won't and don't claim to be better than anyone around here but I do know for a fact that I have more years of hard experience under my belt than a good number on this forum. I have shared the knowledge I have from my own mistakes over the years. It's only that, my experience, my mistakes, my triumphs, only mine. So take it with a grain of salt. My aim here has always been to be far more helpful than anything else. If anyone chooses to take my advice or thoughts as offensive, then so be it. I have no intentions to get sideways with anyone here.

I took a long break from this place. For reasons along the same lines as you starting to get bent out of shape for nothing.
fishfurlife
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting