New Versamax waterfowler shooting today

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New Versamax waterfowler shooting today

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Took out a new Versamax today for some sporting Clays. First out of the box I could not get the barrel clean to my liking. The forcing cone area is very dull and looks to be dirty but I can not get it out with a brush or solvent. The rest of the barrel is Mirror clean as is the area where the round seats. Only the area in front of the round has this issue and it is about 2" of area that is dull. About 50 rounds in using 1300 fps 1-1/8 oz factory sporting clays loads the gun started having issues, it would eject the spent round but not chamber the next without a push up on the carrier. It was well cleaned and properly lubed before use so That was not the issue. I also noticed that the barrel became VERY dirty with un-burnt powder as compared to these same rounds in my O/U where they leave the barrels almost spotlessly clean after 100 rounds. it was 11 degrees out but I have shot this cold several times this year with no issues so not really sure why the barrel on this looked so bad. It did clean up nice afterwards with the exception of the forcing cone area. :huh:

I have to say that I do not like shooting 100 rounds of 1300fps loads in my SBE but in this Versamax they felt like a heavy 20ga round. It does drop a lot of recoil which makes me want to chrono it to see if it is dropping a lot of velocity too. Another guy shooting one said the same thing about the nice soft recoil.

Overall it is a nice gun that is easy on the shoulder it is just not a gun for me. It feels bulky compared to my Benelli's and O/U's. I really wish it came just about a 1/2" to 3/4" shorter LOP. The factory LOP just does not fit me as well as my O/U's which are longer at 14-3/4" but the gun just felt too long in the stock for some reason. It is not mine so I can not modify the recoil pad to my liking but if there was a shorter recoil pad for these I would shoot one again just to see if I like it more. Another guy shooting one also commented on it feeling like the LOP was too long. They did not have any of the spacers installed just the factory installed recoil pad as they come out of the box. I also found myself lifting my head a few times, not to find the target but trying to adjust to the feel of the stock

I might have to try one of these with some 3.5" mags this spring and compare those to my Benelli, I would bet there is quite a difference in felt recoil... :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: New Versamax waterfowler shooting today

Postby steelshotshooter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the report!

Sounds like the forcing cone was not properly polished, if that's the place in the barrel you were referring to. A new cut and polish should clean that right up....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:46 pm

The dirty looking forcing cone area has been talked about quite a bit on SGW so I paid no attention to it in mine.

I am surprised by the cycling issues though. Mine versa has been issue free with cycling light loads.

Be sure to try a long shell next time you get a chance, they sure are soft recoiling out of these guns.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:47 am

hamernhonkers wrote:I am surprised by the cycling issues though. Mine versa has been issue free with cycling light loads. Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

I am surprised as well. Mine has cycled light loads from day one like a champ. In fact this guns ability to cycle light and heavy loads without issue has been one of its more praised characteristics.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

I could not find any reason why it would not cycle. The bolt would lock completely back with round on the carrier but the carrier would not lift it into the path of the bolt. A good push up on the carrier and it would chmber every time. Ejection was fine on every round and it would throw them about 6 to 8 feet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 am

Anyone have the links to the dull looking forcing cone threads? I searched SGW but did not find it.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby z51 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 am

You might PM Tujays on SGW and see what he can tell you.
z51
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Anyone have the links to the dull looking forcing cone threads? I searched SGW but did not find it.

Its under the Remington forum and in the monster thread on the versa and then a couple other specific small threads

Sorry I don't have the links.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm

That big thread is Tujays'.
z51
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:27 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I could not find any reason why it would not cycle. The bolt would lock completely back with round on the carrier but the carrier would not lift it into the path of the bolt. A good push up on the carrier and it would chmber every time. Ejection was fine on every round and it would throw them about 6 to 8 feet.

There is a small spring that rides on the bushing pin that retains the carrier that may have popped out of place as it did on my original Versamax. Check as it will cause such a malfunction if not set in proper position and is an easy fix.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby TuJays » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:I could not find any reason why it would not cycle. The bolt would lock completely back with round on the carrier but the carrier would not lift it into the path of the bolt. A good push up on the carrier and it would chmber every time. Ejection was fine on every round and it would throw them about 6 to 8 feet.

There is a small spring that rides on the bushing pin that retains the carrier that may have popped out of place as it did on my original Versamax. Check as it will cause such a malfunction if not set in proper position and is an easy fix.

^^^^^this...and make sure that no part of the carrier is rubbing on the aluminum trigger housing as it moves up and down.
Many times there is a spot of the inside front corner of the trigger housing that the rolled edge of the carrier will rub on, slowing or stopping it from raising like it should.
If you find it is doing this just polish that area with your wife's nail file and you should be good to go!

here is a picture of where to look!

Also, take a piece of emory cloth and polish the sharp edge of the shell latch as it will dig into soft headed shells and slow them down enough to make the gun not lift the shell.

Make certain as Yuchi says that this spring is in place....yours will be shaped like a "D" and needs to be in place to work properly.
Here is a picture of where to look, it shows the spring i custom made for mine because it would keep falling out. the issue has since been fixed on newer models, but while you have the trigger group out you might as well make sure it is in place.

TuJays
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby TuJays » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Waterfowlhunter wrote;
Only the area in front of the round has this issue and it is about 2" of area that is dull.

If you look you will see that this is also the area where a sever amount of heat was applied while welding the gas block and piston housing onto your barrel. this heat causes the discoloration and so far i have not seen one yet that could be hand polished out....but i have shot them clean :beer:
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:36 am

I have not researched this, but are the barrels chrome lined? if so them Polishing is not a good option as the chrome lining could be damaged, and I would think they would chrome line the barrel after they soldered on the gas block. :huh:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TuJays » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:46 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have not researched this, but are the barrels chrome lined? if so them Polishing is not a good option as the chrome lining could be damaged, and I would think they would chrome line the barrel after they soldered on the gas block. :huh:

Nickel Barrel and Nickel Teflon plated internal components.
TuJays
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum