SBE weak hammer spring effects

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SBE weak hammer spring effects

Postby toolmaker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Hello, have an SBEII.... which has had an awful lot of shells run through it...all 3.5" have had zero trouble with this gun when it has been clean... and very few issues even when it was filthy!

now all of the sudden when I fire the first shell, the second shell isn't released from the mag tube! I thoroughly cleaned the action and lightly oiled, and had the same issue. upon close examination it seems the chrome plated Cartridge Drop Lever(CDL) is hanging up with side pressure against the carrier latch. I don't think the carrier latch is bent( to cause MORE friction than normal) it seems fine. the CDL usually is given a boost when the hammer spring cap hits it, forcing it around its pin and thus down on the front where it sits against the side of the carrier latch...once that CDL falls below the carrier latch the carrier latch shoots inward in the back and releases a shell from the magazine. what I THINK is happening is the friction of the CDL and the carrier latch are greater than the force of the hammer spring....ie the hammer spring maybe weak!!! the hammer spring cap hits that little bent portion of the CDL.

I guess I could take out the carrier latch and try to polish that surface that rubs against the CDL. but I really think it is a weak spring after many thousands of rounds...

so the question is, has anyone else got themselves into this situation??

I may just disassemble the gun totally again and STRETCH the hammer spring, as a test....

thanks

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: SBE weak hammer spring effects

Postby rerhardt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:02 pm

What you wrote makes total sense, not many people understand what all those parts do and how they operate in function. My question to you is when you store the gun, is the hammer in the cocked position or are you releasing the hammer and storing it in that manner, if the later then I believe you have your answer. I would not polish anything just stretch the spring and try it but if that works replace the spring with a new one.
rerhardt
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 pm

rerhardt wrote:What you wrote makes total sense, not many people understand what all those parts do and how they operate in function. My question to you is when you store the gun, is the hammer in the cocked position or are you releasing the hammer and storing it in that manner, if the later then I believe you have your answer. I would not polish anything just stretch the spring and try it but if that works replace the spring with a new one.

I make an effort to remember to dry fire the gun before I put it in the gun case at the end of each hunt!

I have heard over the years that storing the gun cocked makes the springs weak. I think my gun just has had so many rounds through it.... that , that could be the issue.

I am betting 20 cases maybe 25 cases of hydro shocks and black cloud 3.5"

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm

I stretched the hammer spring about 1/8th" in length..maybe a little more, and the guns cycles great again..... the shell in the mag is realeased everytime now.....

so it was just a case of the hammer spring getting weaker with time...

some guns just have so many little peices that all work together.....

the cause of a problem may be quite a few pieces down the line , from the symptoms

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum