low to medium end goose call...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

low to medium end goose call...

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:54 pm

hey all,

i have to learn how to call geese. i don't want to put a lot of money into a call until i learn how to use one good. so what is the "quackhead" of goose calls?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:27 pm

I just got a cocobola call from this fella and am very impressed. It breaks over easily, doesn't take much air to operate and has really good tone.It's got a nice sharp "crack" and is great for all the sounds you could want. Best of all, I've been using it with absolutely no backpressure, making it a very good call for the beginner.
http://www.takeoff.to/waterfowlcallsbygoose
P.S.
His calls look much better now than when his site was first constructed. The call I just got is one very fine looking piece of wood :thumbsup:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:32 am

thanks. i am surprised i haven't gotten any more responses than this. is this price range of calls to low or what is the deal? if i have to spend a $100 i will, just don't want to just getting into it.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Shrpshtr I know Calls by Goose Well he will do you good.

C_Dubb
Last edited by C_DUbb on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

man c-dubb

Postby s-speece » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 am

:smile: i,m hungry, :laughing: :laughing: two can's for you two for me.here i'll add some more :spam: :spam: :spam: ever try it ,it's not bad when you fry it,and put it on butter bread. has to be really hot. if it's cold it really suck's. :getdown: :getdown: had to put that in there,a danceing bannana,make's me laugh.i'l talk to ya later.i'll be home on week-end working on some call's call me c-dubb.
s-speece
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:03 am

I am just learning the short reed. I started with a Honky Tonk and then picked up a Super Mag. I tried a Wing Lock Delrin the other day and that is not a bad call at all for around $50.00. I want to try it a gain to see if I need to upgrade. So far I like the Honky Tonk better than the Super Mag. For the price the Honky Tonk is a very good sounding call.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:47 pm

who makes that honky tonk?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:26 am

A few inexpensive polycarbs that I have worked with and like are the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II (20.00) and the Zink poly PC-1 and poly PM-1 (30.00 each). These are easy blowing calls that sound good and won't break the bank. I have other high end calls, but still use these calls quite a bit. I'm only suggesting these because of cost and my experience with them, there a lot of good calls out there to choose from and if you can get out and try a few, you'll find one that fits your needs. Good luck!
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:06 am

the "bible" video on technique is shawn stahls "honker talk". this will explain back pressure and mouth cavity size stuff. most of the short reeds will require lots of practice with back pressure and mouth cavity size stuff. one cheapie call that does not require any back pressure or fooling with mouth cavity size is the awful looking haydel H-81 honker call. about a $12 call. this call will get you into the game cheap and it sounds like a goose.
bob hayes makes a very loud short reed....sells them on ebay and has lots of positive feedback on his calls...about $40. the flute calls require back pressure also...most of them.
check out bob hayes calls on ebay...he is somewhere in illinois...he has a web site with his phone number too.. just run a search for hayes calls.
there are a zillion calls ...probably most are pretty good.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Grounder » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:33 pm

I beilieve primos makes the honky tonk. And I would go with a poly carb supermag, run ya about $50-$60 if you like it then you can up grade to a acrylic supermag or pro supermag. :thumbsup:
Grounder
hunter

Postby MinnDuck » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:14 pm

I would get a Foiles Meat Grinder, its about $60. Probably the easiest blowing short reed call you will find, sounds great and you will kill geese with it in no time.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:27 pm

Get a polycarb supermag- learn on the best and you can still be using it when you get good.

Or you could get a polycarb Zink, but I really like the supermags.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:24 pm

winglock!! easiest to blow, easy on the wallet
weedsnager
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:35 pm

are we talking about short reeds only??? i have called quite a few geese in with the big river goose flute about 30 bucks. i would say its a good call for the money.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Drew Willemsen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:54 pm

i wouldn't go with anything lower on the chain than the poly carb super mag, once you start getting good on that, you are going to want to upgrade to the acrylic anyways...my .02
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:47 pm

The Honky Tonk is made by Primos. I have one and really like the way it sounds overall. The only thing I don't really like is that it takes quite a bit of pressure to "break it over"
BTW it also looks pretty cool :salude:
yay 300th post
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 am

Most short reeds will suit your needs other than the ones desinged for running traffic or lessors. From the mouth of Shawn Stahl, low pitched calls win contests, high pitched calls kill geese. Most calls have a great range of tones with proper air flow and use of back preasure. A little voice influx and you'll have it down. The best advice when looking for a call is to go to a store that has KNOWLEDGEABLE staff that can help you pick thie right call out for you. If the stores in your area do not have a good call selection than you gotta take a chance with some online purchases. The advantages of buying from knowledgeable staff is that they should be able to set the call for you. Everyone blows a little different and good help can get the call sounding better faster than taking the chance that the call is tune right for you plus you can hear what sounds your call is capable of producing before you buy it.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:18 pm

Why start on the low end then work up? I would recommend a nice call to learn on that way you know it the best and you dont have to pay for a call thats just going to sit in your drawer after 3 months of use after you hate it and want something nice. Go with Basin Abomination Iceman. Best call out there considering quality and worksmanship in my opinion....
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum