Just moved to MO

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Just moved to MO

Postby ligtemup89 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey guys I just moved to mid Missouri was just wondering how the whole draw thing works cause my understanding is its a draw for a certain amount of days or just one day and is there any public places in mid mo that don't have to draw for any info would be greatly appreciated not asking for any hunting spots just would like a little more info on the draw or possible someone to hunt with next season
ligtemup89
Newb

Re: Just moved to MO

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 am

is there any public places in mid mo that don't have to draw for any info would be greatly appreciated not asking for any hunting spots

Yes you are...no I don't know of any hunting spots in Missouri to hunt. This spring and summer and early fall would be a great time to get out there for a long walk in nature, or a drive down some highways burning up your gas and finding out where some spots are that you can find...Great first post btw....

:no: :no: :no: :no:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:31 am

Check out the Missouri Department of Conservation website for managed waterfowl areas. http://mdc.mo.gov/ That site also lists other conservation areas in the state (does not list Corps land though, you'd have to look that up).

Best advice is to do some research on that website and try to get involved and talking to people on this forum through PM if you want more specific locations. People are really hesitant to even name any hunting areas on here because people scour the internet looking for places to hunt and any indication they get on a place like this that there *MIGHT* be ducks somewhere can ruin someone's favorite hunting spot.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:40 am

goodkarmarising wrote:
is there any public places in mid mo that don't have to draw for any info would be greatly appreciated not asking for any hunting spots

Yes you are...no I don't know of any hunting spots in Missouri to hunt. This spring and summer and early fall would be a great time to get out there for a long walk in nature, or a drive down some highways burning up your gas and finding out where some spots are that you can find...Great first post btw....

:no: :no: :no: :no:

:ditto: :lame:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:39 am

Good luck it's tough sledding around there. If you're in Columbia you're gonna be driving unless u wanna hunt eagle bluffs
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 am

If your new to an area (this goes to everyone who may read this post) use the Google Earth atlas that MDC has put together. It shows all CA's in the state along with links to the area descriptions, maps, etc. Here you will find info on if you need to draw or if its a walk in area. Use the atlas to target a few CAs close to where you are then go out and check those places out from now until duck season returns. this atlas will be your best friend - more so than anyone on this forum :lol3:
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places-go/google-earth
matt9966
hunter

Postby ligtemup89 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Wow is really all I can say I was only asking for info on the drawing situation not asking for a place to hunt, I was asking if there were certain places I.e. conservation areas you could walk in an hunt without having to draw if I wanted a GPS cordinace to your spots I would of just asked, wasn't an need to be a tool guess I was just cut from a different cloth when someone ask a question I don't get butt hurt an think everyone is trying to take something from me an those who weren't smartasses thanks much appreciated
ligtemup89
Newb

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Who needs gps coordinates once you've weaseled a conservation area out of someone? Once you find a general area through no scouting of your own it gets pretty basic. Walk (or drive) until you find water. Search said water for ducks. You probably meant well but when you said "I'm not asking for spots" you actually said "I'm not asking for your specific spot cause once you tell me where you hunt I'll go ahead and find the x on my own"
sehunter1
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm

You cant get on ANY interent board and ask "hey im looking for places to hunt" "hey can you point me in the right direction.."

ESPECIALLY if its your first post!!! :hammer: :hammer:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby ligtemup89 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Actually really all I wanted was more info on the drawing process an if it took place everywhere but my guess is your just an internet hardass right??
ligtemup89
Newb

Postby matt9966 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 pm

look at the MDC website dealing with waterfowl drawing procedures http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/bird-hunting/waterfowl-hunting/managed-waterfowl-hunts/waterfowl-drawing-procedures

if your only question is which areas are draws and how they work that link will give you your answer. Like i said earlier, the mdc website is very helpful and a simple google search with the key words MDC Waterfowl Drawings will lead you right to their page. This in turn will also keep 3/4's of the members on this forum from getting all upset. If there like me, we are awaiting nexts weeks warm front for snow geese and are a little high strung. ice locked me out of my goose pit super early this year and I am sure missing sitting in that pit right now.
matt9966
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 pm

ALL areas are draw areas.

Some you draw at a HQ with certain rules.

Others you draw at the parking lots or in the fields, only rules are the quickest draw wins...........
2Longgone
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

matt9966 gave you the best advice. That link will give you all the info you need. NOT ALL public land for duck hunting is drawing but MOST is. Some lakes are open to public hunting without draws. Mid Missouri is a very broad so hard to say what you're looking for.
bdub20
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 pm

ligtemup89 wrote:Actually really all I wanted was more info on the drawing process an if it took place everywhere but my guess is your just an internet hardass right??

Nope furthest thing from it Be around for longer than 2 days you will see that :thumbsup:

When you ask"is there any public places in mid mo that don't have to draw for" that is you asking for off the map, out of the way areas! No one is going to give you that info MDC website can answer all your questions You have plenty of time till next october get in your truck, get a map, and start driving my man
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:44 am

Hey I moved to MO 5 years ago and was in same situation. Did the same thing in IA 11 years ago. You just need to put your time in on the computer reading all the draw info as was stated earlier and searching and reading this forum and you will find plenty of info and then go to the draws. You will figure it out and you will have a greater appreciation of it all doing it on your own too. Might seem harsh but most here have spent countless hours and gallons of fuel to accumulate the experience the hard way and are obviously reluctant to give that out on a whim. And I am right with them on that because I am doing it too. So just stick with doing research and you'll be fine.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby FFGC WINGMAN » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 am

ligtemup89 wrote:Hey guys I just moved to mid Missouri was just wondering how the whole draw thing works cause my understanding is its a draw for a certain amount of days or just one day and is there any public places in mid mo that don't have to draw for any info would be greatly appreciated not asking for any hunting spots just would like a little more info on the draw or possible someone to hunt with next season

I could help you out if you had some snow
Goose decoys you would want to hunt over with me
This spring. I have some snows locked up and know where a big population are feeding right now.
FFGC WINGMAN
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting