Thoughts on last years rule changes.

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:02 am

So the season has nearly closed and I have had time to reflect a little on the biggest rule change of this season. The increase in bag limit for Canada geese.

There is no question that it increase the number of goose hunters this season. Added a Duck Dynasty crew to the field scene, if you will. Not all were this way but there is no question that shooting geese became more appealing when the limit changed.

Killed a lot of geese this year. I mean a bunch. It was awesome. However, I am ready to see the limit backed off to 4-5. 8 is to many. Not from a population standpoint but a quality of hunt standpoint. Especially looking into the future. Birds were educated far more this season than they ever have been in Oklahoma. Guys sat on fields until noon or better only because they didn't have limits yet. Educating anything and everything that gave their spread a look.

The increased limit will be a great thing for about another season and then all the sudden, everyone will start wondering why Canada's are just as hard to decoy as Snows. Oklahoma is a gem, you can get away with things here that you couldn't get away with in states that see more pressure.

Any other thoughts on this from guys that have hunted honkers for several seasons leading into this season??
fishfurlife
hunter

Re: Thoughts on last years rule changes.

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 am

From a population control standpoint the increased limit was a long time coming. I don't see them backing it down again until they have a more valid reason than what hunters want though.
Since field hunting is 99% private, the 2 negatives I can see are landowners having more incentive to charge people since there's more demand for field hunting and landowners not giving access at all due to DD idiots trashing their property.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Only new rule for the way i hunt was the 6 teal limit in September. I LOVED it. :thumbsup:
LTMFH
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 pm

I agree with Rob. I LOVED the teal increase. I just love those little suckers!!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Would like to see goose to 5....6 maybe. 8 is to much and I agree ffl....we found ourselves out there till noon or in most cases hunting loaf ponds all afternoon. Which Wasn't bad when we could still shoot ducks.
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 pm

sooner737 wrote:Would like to see goose to 5....6 maybe. 8 is to much and I agree ffl....we found ourselves out there till noon or in most cases hunting loaf ponds all afternoon. Which Wasn't bad when we could still shoot ducks.

It's definitely a pain to try to shoot a limit....but by the time I shoot about 3 big ones I'm satisfied, wouldn't matter if the limit was still 3 or 8.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:14 pm

The goose increase just made it harder for me to get a limit when I jumped a pond.

X3 on the teal, made it a lot quicker to get a mess together for the family.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:39 pm

sooner737 wrote:Would like to see goose to 5....6 maybe. 8 is to much and I agree ffl....we found ourselves out there till noon or in most cases hunting loaf ponds all afternoon. Which Wasn't bad when we could still shoot ducks.

Appears you asked and answered your own question in that why not simply stop at 5-6 birds instead of trying for 8? There is no moral /legal obligation to get a "limit", is there?

The guides are all PO'd about the enhanced limit as now their clients expect 8 and they cannot generate as much revenue when they could run a new crew into the field, right after the first group each got their 3.

Now, the guys that hunt the lessers are estatic.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 am

Human nature I suppose. Love hunting....love calling geese....allowed to shoot x amount more. Only get few months to do it and generally only weekends. Long days wear on ya but it's worth it. Shot 7 specks this year I wouldn't of shot had we gone home at 10/11.
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 am

Yuchi1 wrote:

Appears you asked and answered your own question in that why not simply stop at 5-6 birds instead of trying for 8? There is no moral /legal obligation to get a "limit", is there?

The guides are all PO'd about the enhanced limit as now their clients expect 8 and they cannot generate as much revenue when they could run a new crew into the field, right after the first group each got their 3.

Slightly off topic but has to do with a much needed rule change...
does anyone have any info/update regarding guides having a requirement to be licensed?
I can't remember if there was a bill or just talk about creating a bill.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:50 am

I've always been under the impression that you did have to be certified. Now I also heard it's as easy as throwing X amount of money down basically buying your license. I could be and prob am way off with this. Some of the guides I know make it seem any swingin d1ck could get one.
sooner737
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 pm

You don't have to be licensed to guide in Oklahoma.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 pm

But you have to have a license to be a fishing guide.
micneador
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm

micneador wrote:But you have to have a license to be a fishing guide.

Correct. I should have clarified that.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Wasn't meanin to clarify, just stating how stupid it is that they care about our fins but not our fur & feathers.
micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:24 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Slightly off topic but has to do with a much needed rule change...
does anyone have any info/update regarding guides having a requirement to be licensed?
I can't remember if there was a bill or just talk about creating a bill.

Last time I checked someone reduced the amounts to 0.00 per license adding an amendment. I was kinda ticked off about it because I think waterfowl guides should be licensed.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm

micneador wrote:Wasn't meanin to clarify, just stating how stupid it is that they care about our fins but not our fur & feathers.

I am sure a waterfowl guide using a boat could easily be added as the only real reason they required it for fishing guides was to ensure they all were licensed through the coast guard.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Erie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 am

I hope the geese go back to 3 and it runs off all the other that crawled out this year to try it. It was fun for a week but made me sick to my stomach to see how much additional pressure there was in the area. Good ole days are slipping away.....
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 am

fishfurlife wrote:
micneador wrote:Wasn't meanin to clarify, just stating how stupid it is that they care about our fins but not our fur & feathers.

I am sure a waterfowl guide using a boat could easily be added as the only real reason they required it for fishing guides was to ensure they all were licensed through the coast guard.

Guiding on ODWC Department lands is illegal, most of which requires a boat.

..."Concessions & Businesses

It shall be unlawful to operate any private or non-Departmental business or concession, including soliciting and/or advertising for any such venture, on any Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department...*

*http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/department-managed-area-rules/
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:00 am

Erie wrote:I hope the geese go back to 3 and it runs off all the other that crawled out this year to try it. It was fun for a week but made me sick to my stomach to see how much additional pressure there was in the area. Good ole days are slipping away.....

They can't just be coming out of the blue, probably already water hunters. Which should reduce the pressure on water.
This year I'm spending $2k ish on field equipment, and with my luck I'll end up switching back to water again. Doesn't matter to me though, I'll have all the equipment for every possible scenario and will be able to switch overnight.
All I know is if there's newer hunters that are as dedicated as I am, they've gotta be spending some serious coin in a pretty small time frame.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Erie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:56 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:All I know is if there's newer hunters that are as dedicated as I am, they've gotta be spending some serious coin in a pretty small time frame.

I used to think the same way but quickly realized you're not competing with people who are going to spend $2k in gear. $2k in gear isn't going to yield you any more birds than $100 off craigslist. Your competing with guys who trespass, chew up farmers fields, leave gates open, break fences. Your competing with people who are going to get access to fields before you.

The numbers increased this year in a area I frequent. I was turned down access more this year than 3 years combined. Farmers used to actually call me and ask if I wanted to hunt there wheat (not joking). This year, I was turned down numerous times on slick wheat fields, thousands of geese eating their wheat and I was turned down for varying reasons. I'll adapt and overcome but the number of people hunting geese increased. 8 geese limits have more people in the field/longer, it's pulled more people out because it's "worth" the effort now to shoot 8 geese now vs 3 before.

I project that in 10 years Oklahoma will be as locked up as Arkansas or Kansas. Just my opinion on what I've observed this year vs the last 3 years. Means nothing more than that.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm

I thought about this years ago and fixed that problem before it become a problem. I see my owners year round. I know what wine their wives drink. I know their kid is a ou/osu fan. I send fudge and scrabble for Christmas. Hell I help them around the farm/ranch throughout the year. Get them to view you as someone that wants to hunt but doesn't JUST want to hunt. Someone that'll see other than when you're wantin favors. Come on boys I'm the village butt and pull this off...yall can too.
sooner737
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
fishfurlife wrote:

Guiding on ODWC Department lands is illegal, most of which requires a boat.

..."Concessions & Businesses

It shall be unlawful to operate any private or non-Departmental business or concession, including soliciting and/or advertising for any such venture, on any Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department...*

*http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/department-managed-area-rules/

There are only a handful of "state owned" lakes. The bulk majority belong to the corps. They can guide all they want off public ground. The guides have gotten around that law for years when in question with contracts signed by the clients. The guide is just "hanging out" with them while hunting. They are paying for the "ride"
fishfurlife
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting