Duck Hunting Forum banner

Full Reed or Shaved

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  huntandride 
#1 ·
Just wondering what all you contest callers run for a reed in your calls? I know a lot of guys blow a full reed. Im just trying to figure out a good set up in my contest call. I like the power and crack of a full reed, but can't quit get the trick notes and the goosy sound with it. Do any of you guys run a T- Shaved reed in your contest calls???

#3 ·
Im no contest guru, but for me a like a full reed, but it does depend on how you run a call and also the guts/tune. I have found some guts run better for me with a mild shave and other run better with a full reed.

I also do not shave the tip of the reed if I do shave the reed at all.

#4 ·
Most guys are running full reeds, just for the crack and added power, plus you gotta remember that there all practicing alot... I run Full reeds religiously in all my calls and especially in my contest call, when you gain more control and perfect your air presention you will be able to do more "low end and trick notes"

#5 ·
I prefer full reeds, 1 they last longer, 2 they teach you to use forward air pressure better, all in al they make you a better caller. but I must say I carry a shaved reed in the field also, because to me they sound more realistic and take a little less air.

#9 ·
I just switched my G Overhauler to a full reed and I can say i like it a lot more. I know it wasnt exactly how the call was designed but i feel like i can lean on it a lot more, the shaved reed was too light for my liking.. Its my new favorite call! I also like it more wo/ the bent tip reed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.