18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

18 lb goose

Postby Honker Guide » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:36 pm

I have had a contest ongoing for 3 years with this being the 4th year. It started as a contest for an 18 lb Canada goose and when nobody won, we have dropped it each year, one pound. This year it is 15 lbs. The winner will get a dozen of our DropZone decoys worth almost $800. The goose has to be sent to me for verification.
The reason I started this thread is that I had a guy call the office acouple of days ago and he told them he had shot a 15 1/2 lb goose. I didn't hear from him again so I posted up the deal on another website and today he answered and said that the goose was not 15 lbs when he weighed it on a good scale. It seems as though his fish scale was not quite up to par.
Anyway, if any of you guys shoot a big goose or hear of someone who has shot a 15lb + goose, have them get a hold of us and we will give him shipping instructions. We will ship it right back after verifying the weight. With all the stories of big geese, it is time for someone to win this contest!!! One further note, a tame Canada goose that has been fed up to gain weight to win the contest will not qualify. Paul
Hunt with the best equipment you an afford; it will make a difference!!

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/
Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby water_swatter01 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:40 pm

damn, wish I woulda heard about this last year. :oops:
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:37 am

Honker Guide - that's a great contest with a grand prize. :thumbsup:

I'm setting up near a McDonalds. :yes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jrp267 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:13 am

I wish I woulda heard about it 2 yrs ago. I shot a 17 lber It was huge.
jrp267
hunter

Postby Honker Guide » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:19 am

It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in the past, but when I start a contest, the geese seem to shrink!! I started this contest 4 seasons ago on another forem annd so many had shot geese up to and bigger than 20 lbs. Now we can't even find a measly little ol' 15 pounder.
The reports of 20 lb geese started when a captive breeding program was started to bring back the Maximus subspecies of the Canda Goose. These geese were fed a special diet and many reached 20 lbs. The difference, my contest is for a wild Canada Goose!! Not a hand fed goose.
I really thought that the contest would have been won last year with a 16 lb goose, but nothing. We had reports of some 15 lb'ers and maybe this will be the year. We will find out! Paul
Hunt with the best equipment you an afford; it will make a difference!!

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/
Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:38 am

Honker Guide wrote:It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in the past, but when I start a contest, the geese seem to shrink!! I started this contest 4 seasons ago on another forem annd so many had shot geese up to and bigger than 20 lbs. Now we can't even find a measly little ol' 15 pounder.
The reports of 20 lb geese started when a captive breeding program was started to bring back the Maximus subspecies of the Canda Goose. These geese were fed a special diet and many reached 20 lbs. The difference, my contest is for a wild Canada Goose!! Not a hand fed goose.
I really thought that the contest would have been won last year with a 16 lb goose, but nothing. We had reports of some 15 lb'ers and maybe this will be the year. We will find out! Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why I make people tell me how LONG the bass was not what they thought it WEIGHED. :thumbsup:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:06 am

My uncle shot a 22 pounder 5 or 6 years ago...he has it mounted too.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby FIREMAN » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 am

To bad you can't hunt in the city.
FIREMAN
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:58 am

Honker Guide wrote:It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in the past, but when I start a contest, the geese seem to shrink!! I started this contest 4 seasons ago on another forem annd so many had shot geese up to and bigger than 20 lbs. Now we can't even find a measly little ol' 15 pounder.

A lot of guys think 4 inches is actually 8 inches too !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've mounted a LOT of Honkers and don't remember any of them being anywhere near 18 pounds. Their out there,,, but very rare.
I'd sure like to claim that dozen DZD's though. So I'll be shootin' for the big Dawgs ! :yes:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:38 am

so let me get this straight... we shoot a big goose, send it in, and then we can get a dozen dropzones???? so what's the catch :huh:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:43 am

Honker Guide wrote:The reports of 20 lb geese started when a captive breeding program was started to bring back the Maximus subspecies of the Canda Goose. These geese were fed a special diet and many reached 20 lbs. The difference, my contest is for a wild Canada Goose!! Not a hand fed goose.
In PA, around 1988, I know there were a small number of absolutely giant geese around. I blew my one opportunity at an unbelievably giant goose. The one I got the same season and weighed was 12 lbs and not anywhere close to the size of the giant goose I missed, but was a typical sized adult goose we would see then and now. Since then I have never seen any geese in this size range or that I would think would even weigh 15 lbs. This makes a lot of sense if they were raising these geese and they either escaped or were released. In the back of my mind, I always wondered if it was some sort of hybrid (wild/domestic) even though it looked like a pure Canada. It was simply a domestic Canada goose that was released or escaped. I don't care. Damn that goose was big. The chance that any of these are left from the late 80's is getting pretty slim.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Its interesting you should say that about a couple of years ago. Blatantly calling me a LIAR. Just because you own a company and do well. Boy your special. I did not know of the contest. But here in MN giants are'nt that rare. I believe we have the largest resident population of them. To the point that we can shoot 5 in the early season. When I shot it we could still hunt a paticular location behind a golf course near the city limits. But those with money did not like it so those without it went away.
jrp267
hunter

Postby FIREMAN » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:02 pm

I would have to agrue that you have the highest population. We can take 8 in the early season.
FIREMAN
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Alls, I know is that MN has harvested the most geese in the u.s. for years.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:30 pm

I see lots of 15lbers every day, but unfortunately land access is a big problem so I can't goose hunt. :sad:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:45 pm

Its interesting you should say that about a couple of years ago. Blatantly calling me a LIAR. Just because you own a company and do well. Boy your special. I did not know of the contest. But here in MN giants are'nt that rare. I believe we have the largest resident population of them. To the point that we can shoot 5 in the early season. When I shot it we could still hunt a paticular location behind a golf course near the city limits. But those with money did not like it so those without it went away.

:lol: He didn't call you a liar. Just shut yer little yapper and send in a 15lb goose then you can tell everyone where to stick it :rofl: Just so happens that this contest has been going on a long, long time and all the big talkers have yet to produce a winner (lots of guys hunting near Rochester too :wink: ) The simple fact is that every guy has shot a 20lb goose....they just haven't shot one in the past 3 years while this contest was going on and the one's they shot 3 years ago either weren't weighed, or were weighen on 'unofficial' scales with rocks in their stomachs :hammer:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:48 pm

geese like record big game and fish shrink in the freezer.

12lbs is the average goose. some are just so huge compared to what we know you think 20lbs. especialy compared to a 2.5 lbs mallard.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby choclab » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:57 pm

The closest I got to 15 pounds was a 13 pound resident this early opener.......wouldn't mind the DZ's though...lol :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Does it matter if is someone's corn fed pet in their backyard pond?
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby choclab » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm

Honker Guide wrote: my contest is for a wild Canada Goose!! Not a hand fed goose.

There is your answer TennNW :huh: ummmmmmmm......I thinks they gots to be wild! :thumbsup: :rofl:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:50 am

How do you tell a wild one from a domestic one? I've seen some giant domestic mallards, but they look the same to me.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Honker Guide wrote:It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in
In direct reply to my comment sure looks like he did. And I am not so little I happen to be 33yrs old 6' 0" 245lbs and I work construction. So watch who you call little.
jrp267
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am

Oh ya those decoys are mine so you all just back off :mad:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jrp267 wrote:
Honker Guide wrote:It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in
In direct reply to my comment sure looks like he did. And I am not so little I happen to be 33yrs old 6' 0" 245lbs and I work construction. So watch who you call little.

that goes for you too tiny :mad:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:58 am

I'm real short, but built real proportional, so when I hold geese up in pics with nobody else the geese look huge because they are like half the length of my body. I could probably tell you the geese are 25 pounders in some of my pics and it would look somewhat believable.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:07 pm

We got a 14 pounder last year. We'll get you your 15 pounder. Are you willing to ship those dekes to NY?
harvey1b
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole