18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: 18 lb goose

Postby Tealer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 pm

I have to take a test to ID the 7 we have on the wing, based on size and color. Also have check each one of our geese at a checkstation after every hunt.
We have 7 distinct sub species.
Smallest to largest
Aluitians
Cacklers
Lessers
Taverners
Duskies
Vancouvers
Westerns

There are two other species of cacklers, a larger sub species and one that slips my mind.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm

At one time there were 12 sub species of Canada goose. Then it went to 11. I think the two were the richardson and hutchinson that they interwebbed at that time. I killed a richardson years back and it was little bitty. We killed a number of small geese that year, but that was the only richardson. As usual things change over time and classifications vary by print. I killed a 17 lb goose in 1977 at Union County refuge if any one wants to call and ask for old records. I haven't killed a goose nearly that big since then. We killed thousands of canada geese before they decided to reinstate the giant canadas and stop the migration. There are some really big geese sitting around on golf courses and such but I doubt 18 lb geese and larger are too common. We did kill a number of canadas in the 12-13 lb range, but most were in the 10 lb range.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Cujo1 wrote:At one time there were 12 sub species of Canada goose. Then it went to 11. I think the two were the richardson and hutchinson that they interwebbed at that time. I killed a richardson years back and it was little bitty. We killed a number of small geese that year, but that was the only richardson. As usual things change over time and classifications vary by print. I killed a 17 lb goose in 1977 at Union County refuge if any one wants to call and ask for old records. I haven't killed a goose nearly that big since then. We killed thousands of canada geese before they decided to reinstate the giant canadas and stop the migration. There are some really big geese sitting around on golf courses and such but I doubt 18 lb geese and larger are too common. We did kill a number of canadas in the 12-13 lb range, but most were in the 10 lb range.

They all short stop you guys now. The cooling lakes and industrial parks have really changed the migration patterns for the canadas. They stay in N.Illinois all winter long, we get to hunt them for 100 days of the year. I've shot them from canada down through the state. Never seen one over 13lbs. Even all of the non migrators or our residents, they just don't get any bigger than that.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:At one time there were 12 sub species of Canada goose. Then it went to 11. I think the two were the richardson and hutchinson that they interwebbed at that time. I killed a richardson years back and it was little bitty. We killed a number of small geese that year, but that was the only richardson. As usual things change over time and classifications vary by print. I killed a 17 lb goose in 1977 at Union County refuge if any one wants to call and ask for old records. I haven't killed a goose nearly that big since then. We killed thousands of canada geese before they decided to reinstate the giant canadas and stop the migration. There are some really big geese sitting around on golf courses and such but I doubt 18 lb geese and larger are too common. We did kill a number of canadas in the 12-13 lb range, but most were in the 10 lb range.

They all short stop you guys now. The cooling lakes and industrial parks have really changed the migration patterns for the canadas. They stay in N.Illinois all winter long, we get to hunt them for 100 days of the year. I've shot them from canada down through the state. Never seen one over 13lbs. Even all of the non migrators or our residents, they just don't get any bigger than that.

Migration makes me sick. I would rather kill geese than ducks anyday. Yes, I said it! Ducks are second best to me as far as waterfowl go. We might kill 10 geese a season now, it used to be 10 a day all season long. I remember when you couldn't kill a goose up north and you had to drive to southern il or further to see geese! Oh well, can't change it might as well shoot those stupid ol ducks! :yes:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:00 am

Cujo1 wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:

Migration makes me sick. I would rather kill geese than ducks anyday. Yes, I said it! Ducks are second best to me as far as waterfowl go. We might kill 10 geese a season now, it used to be 10 a day all season long. I remember when you couldn't kill a goose up north and you had to drive to southern il or further to see geese! Oh well, can't change it might as well shoot those stupid ol ducks! :yes:

agree 99% ( i think the canadas are dumber than the ducks when it comes to decoying) :yes: :yes: specks are taking the place of canadas so i'm re-tooling and they are gonna pay. snows are another story... up side is i have a buddy that is going to invest in a spread to add to mine.. his intent is to double us up... plan is to have @2800 dekes, 2 4 arm rotorys, 2 2 arm, and @42 fliers. :biggrin:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:04 am

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1963/19630401.pdf
GIANT CANADA GOOSE, LONG BELIEVED EXTINCT, REDISCOVERED IN MINNESOTA
The world's largest wild goose, the giant Canada, which for over thirty years
was thought to be extinct, has been rediscovered in Minnesota, according to the
Department of the Interior.
The huge geese, reported to range in weight from 15 to 19 pounds, in contrast
to the usual 11 pounds or less for the other large Canada geese, were found
by Dr. Harold Hanson of the Illinois Natural History Survey. Dr. Hanson, in
cooperation with personnel of the Minnesota Department of Conservation and the
Fish and Wildlife Service's Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, trapped
approximately 200 of the birds for examination and banding.
Although some of the geese in the flock were evidently of the well-known
smaller types, many others were exceptionally large birds, matching in dimensions
as well as color, the supposedly extinct giant subspecies.
The flock of giant geese has been roosting on Silver Lake, which is in a
park in Rochester, Minn. The lake is kept partly open by the discharge of warm
water from a nearby electric generating plant. The geese range widely to feed
during the day. The present nesting grounds of this giant goose are not known
with certainty, but small scattered populations are believed to nest in the
Dakotas, western Minnesota, and Manitoba. Their former range included a wider
area in the Eastern Prairie States south to Missouri. Returns from birds banded
this winter may shed further light on the location of the present breeding
grounds.
A 22-pound world's record goose killed in Canada in the late 1930's was
undoubtedly one of the giant subspecies. Although the giant Canada goose was well
known to a past generation of hunters in the Northern Prairie States, present-day
biologists considered it a myth until James Moffitt, America's foremost student
of geese, was convinced of its existence. Mr. Moffitt's death in World War II
delayed the publishing of his findings. In 1951, Jean Delacour, the internationally
known waterfowl authority, supported Mr. Moffitt's findings by describing
and naming the giant Canada goose after it was thought to be extinct.
Dr. Hanson is credited with discovering that the giant goose is not only
still around, but even appears to have a sizable population that is adapting to
man's changes of its environment.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

18 lb goose

Postby mox » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:56 am

possumfoot wrote:http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1963/19630401.pdf
GIANT CANADA GOOSE, LONG BELIEVED EXTINCT, REDISCOVERED IN MINNESOTA
The world's largest wild goose, the giant Canada, which for over thirty years
was thought to be extinct, has been rediscovered in Minnesota, according to the
Department of the Interior.
The huge geese, reported to range in weight from 15 to 19 pounds, in contrast
to the usual 11 pounds or less for the other large Canada geese, were found
by Dr. Harold Hanson of the Illinois Natural History Survey. Dr. Hanson, in
cooperation with personnel of the Minnesota Department of Conservation and the
Fish and Wildlife Service's Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, trapped
approximately 200 of the birds for examination and banding.
Although some of the geese in the flock were evidently of the well-known
smaller types, many others were exceptionally large birds, matching in dimensions
as well as color, the supposedly extinct giant subspecies.
The flock of giant geese has been roosting on Silver Lake, which is in a
park in Rochester, Minn. The lake is kept partly open by the discharge of warm
water from a nearby electric generating plant. The geese range widely to feed
during the day. The present nesting grounds of this giant goose are not known
with certainty, but small scattered populations are believed to nest in the
Dakotas, western Minnesota, and Manitoba. Their former range included a wider
area in the Eastern Prairie States south to Missouri. Returns from birds banded
this winter may shed further light on the location of the present breeding
grounds.
A 22-pound world's record goose killed in Canada in the late 1930's was
undoubtedly one of the giant subspecies. Although the giant Canada goose was well
known to a past generation of hunters in the Northern Prairie States, present-day
biologists considered it a myth until James Moffitt, America's foremost student
of geese, was convinced of its existence. Mr. Moffitt's death in World War II
delayed the publishing of his findings. In 1951, Jean Delacour, the internationally
known waterfowl authority, supported Mr. Moffitt's findings by describing
and naming the giant Canada goose after it was thought to be extinct.
Dr. Hanson is credited with discovering that the giant goose is not only
still around, but even appears to have a sizable population that is adapting to
man's changes of its environment.

goin to hunt in minne in October. Hopin to bring home the gold!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 am

I shot 1 in South Dakota that I swear was a Giant. I know this is the broken record of the thread, but I took a picture and can't find it now. This bird came up to my belly button and had its tail touching the ground. I never did weight it (I didn't have a scale easily available) but I do know it was 1 big sombich considering I am 6' tall.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

18 lb goose

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 am

BGipson wrote:I shot 1 in South Dakota that I swear was a Giant. I know this is the broken record of the thread, but I took a picture and can't find it now. This bird came up to my belly button and had its tail touching the ground. I never did weight it (I didn't have a scale easily available) but I do know it was 1 big sombich considering I am 6' tall.

hard to say without cutting it in half but Based on your description I say it was 11 pounds 13 oz, female, 12 years old.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby goldfish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

mox wrote:goin to hunt in minne in October. Hopin to bring home the gold!

Good luck on seeing a giant while hunting, but they are here.

Where about are you going to be hunting (not specific locations, I'm not that guy, but city you are staying, that sort of thing)
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 am

Still waiting on any sort of pic.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby goldfish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 am

Well, it's an hour plus to go down to Rochester, so if you won't Google an image yourself, then paypal me the gas money and I'll go find 'em :yes:

I'll even take the bike so that it's 30mpg instead of the 13 in the truck :beer:
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I know when I was a kid there were individual birds in the 18-20 lb range weighed on reliable scales. I blew my chance at one that dwarfed his typical giant canada goose cohorts. I have not seen nor heard of any of these since the late '80's. Someone, I don't remember where, explained that when they were reestablishing all of these sidewalkshitters that we have now, they pen raised a lot of them and fed them a special diet that produced these giants. They either released them or they escaped. However, eating the diet they get in the wild, they only grow to the typical 10-12 lbs that we see. My personal biggest may have been pushing 14 lbs. I still kick my self for body shooting that Canada goose colored swan which was roughly twice the size, not a little bigger buy wholly crap bigger, than the others in the flock. Crapass steel duck shells and young with only a couple geese under my belt, I bounced his ass good, but he flew out of site. Easily could have shot him in the head and neck as close as he was - dumb, dumb, dumb :mad: :mad: :mad: The only one I have ever seen that is over 15 lbs. A 13 lb goose is freaking big and 14 is huge (40% larger than a 10 lb'er).

Cujo1 wrote:I killed a 17 lb goose in 1977 at Union County refuge if any one wants to call and ask for old records. I haven't killed a goose nearly that big since then.
This is a common and I think the explanation I heard explains why.

I am confident that is where the legend of 20 lb giant Canadas come from. They were not wild birds and since the sidewalkshitters are everywhere, they long ago stopped doing this and all of them are long since gone. Now it's kind of like deer, few people have ever put a deer on a scale and by the time you drag it out, it sure feels like it weighs a ton. My grandfather used to like embarrass the hunters that would drag out their monster deer. He'd throw them on his scale and they typically weighed a little over half of what the guy thought. I'm sure its the same with the geese since I have weighed quite a few before I got good at estimating their weight.

My goal now is not to get a 18 lb'er, but one of those itty bitty cacklers that we see from time to time. I've got plenty of the big ones and even a few small lessers, but never got a cackler.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I shot these 2 albino giant canada geese Sept 11th 3 years ago. They each weighed in at 35 and 33 pounds.
swan%20hero%20pic.jpg
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Don,

Did you get those mute swans in PA?

We have a bunch of them where I hunt here in Illinois, but we can't shoot them. It's hard to believe they can fly when they come by. They drive the dog nuts when they come swimming around. I warn her that they will whoop your ass, but I don't think she understands. I think there were 9 of them swimming around my blind the one day last fall.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes sir, shot them near home. Really pissed off the locals, too. I only knew that they took them off the endangered species list in 2005 and they were unregulated when I had my shot to kill 2. I didn't know they were the cherished beauties of the river One is mounted on my mantle and I made jerky out of the other. 2 shots of T shot out of my 10 ga to finish them at 25 yards. Tough critters.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

That's cool. I hope they let us shoot them here soon. We have a bunch of them around here.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby 6 a day the healthy way » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:23 pm

The geese around my parts all roost in a local sanctuary where they are fed apples bread and the occasional fast food diet some of the geese get large I mean easily 13-14 lbs. I thought I had shot an easy 16 pounder this year but it weighed in at 13 so for me a 20 pound goose would be your local swan that's got some mud on it feathers
6 a day the healthy way
hunter

Postby 6 a day the healthy way » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Also the ducks unlimited web page says average male giant Canada geese weigh between 3-13 lbs with the largest being up to 20lbs. So that is incredibly hard to shoot a 20 lb bird when it would be a world record. Just sayin.
6 a day the healthy way
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 pm

They don't exist. They may have but they are all gone now. That's the only way to explain that there is no photo evidence, NONE. With as many geese get shot all across the country every year somebody would have lucked in to one by now.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole