Another possible nail in the coffin.

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Another possible nail in the coffin.

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:25 pm

I was at a trappers meeting today where I, along with a number of other registerd trappers, became aware of a push to end or severly restrict trapping in Nova Scotia. This has come about due to a dog roaming at large in wildlife habitat becoming caught in a legally set trap. You might ask what this has to do with bird hunting and why would I put it in here. It is for the simple reason that if trapping is abolished then the next target that can and will be singled out for a similar fate is the use of dogs for hunting. Why? Because we as hunters are not only ( in the opinions of the anti hunting and animal rights groups ) causing harm and suffering to the wildlife but are being cruel to mans best friend and companion whom in their eyes is not an animal but a being with all of our feelings and traits, by making them go out in the cold and swim in icey waters. How dare we!! It is time to take a stand and show the antis that all hunters, trappers and anglers are united and we are the true conservationists and perveyers of nature. Write to the Honourable Richard Hurlbburt, Department of Natural Resources, 3rd Floor, Founders Square, 1701 Hollis St., P.O. Box 698, Halifax, N.S. B3J 2T9 Phone:(902) 424-4037 Fax (902) 424-0594 E-mail : MIN_DNR@gov.ns.ca and suport your fellow hunters and your own sport. Why is it allowable for pet owners to break the law but when in doing so their pet gets killed or hurt in legally set traps or snares is the fault of the trapper. I personally know the risks and have hunted and trapped in the same areas which are used by other hunters and trappers and have never had my dogs or any other dogs caught in mine or others traps. I ask for your support in this fight, it is for your rights as well.

Thanks, G.W.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:33 pm

It is getting to the point that animals are having more "rights" than us people do! :eek:

Another thing is the trappers help to keep the predator population down. That means more ducks raised where the trappers are trapping. If trapping is abolished, it'll definately hurt the waterfowl and well as upland game production. :pissed:

Also of concern is that many trappers are part time trappers. But none the less this income is a viable source of income for the trappers and their families as well as the communities where this $ is spent. Some trappers are full time and it would severely impact them. :thumbsdown:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Canada Duck Hunting