snows over water qustion

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

snows over water qustion

Postby possumfoot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 pm

no one hunts snows over water here.. heck, no one really hunts snows here even though we are starting to see large numbers.. how effective is a large floater snow spread on snow geese?? i ask here because cali is the only place i ever hear of something like that being done..

talking 12-1500 piece snow only spread for C/O snows (e-caller allowed)
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Re: snows over water qustion

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Thats a lot of decoy weights...
Rhock19
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:57 pm

electronic callers are not legal in California...fyi
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:11 pm

kyle916 wrote:electronic callers are not legal in California...fyi

(e-caller allowed) should possible hint at the fact that i am not in Cali.. i would also not be asking about large snow spreads over water as i would likely have some experience with them..

again, is a floater spread effective for decoying snows over there.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 am

possumfoot wrote:

(e-caller allowed) should possible hint at the fact that i am not in Cali.. i would also not be asking about large snow spreads over water as i would likely have some experience with them..

Yes it is. We get into them pretty good with a combination of floaters and sillosocks and thats without electronic calling. With that kinda setup you should be good.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby speczilla » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 pm

How deep is the water? Do you see geese sitting in the water in your area?

Without knowing all of the variables regarding your situation, I'm betting it would be very effective. But unless you already have the decoys that will be quite the investment. Floaters go for $15-20 a piece new. So that would be $15k at the low end and you also need to buy weights.

If the water isn't more than 2-3' deep I'd rather spend the money on fb's and just devise a long stake to put them on in the water. That way you have a spread you can also use on land.
speczilla
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:52 pm

speczilla wrote:How deep is the water? Do you see geese sitting in the water in your area?

Without knowing all of the variables regarding your situation, I'm betting it would be very effective. But unless you already have the decoys that will be quite the investment. Floaters go for $15-20 a piece new. So that would be $15k at the low end and you also need to buy weights.

If the water isn't more than 2-3' deep I'd rather spend the money on fb's and just devise a long stake to put them on in the water. That way you have a spread you can also use on land.

all ready have a field spread.. i can get decoys 100 on the cheap end and 144 on the higher end per dozen.. i imagin if i make a purchase of that size i could get an additional discount.. but thats not the issue..

water makes it easier to put out and pick up.. shallow drive boat. the pit is comfortable. we can cook, have power, ect. have drained the water and hunted out of it a few times, but it is a muddy mess, looks like crap and we still manage to kill birds.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:35 pm

possumfoot wrote: all ready have a field spread.. i can get decoys 100 on the cheap end and 144 on the higher end per dozen.. i imagin if i make a purchase of that size i could get an additional discount.. but thats not the issue.. .

A buddy of mine uses that split tube foam insulation around the bottom of his goose shells to float them. They stack up nice so he can store a bunch more of them in the blind.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:45 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
possumfoot wrote: all ready have a field spread.. i can get decoys 100 on the cheap end and 144 on the higher end per dozen.. i imagin if i make a purchase of that size i could get an additional discount.. but thats not the issue.. .

A buddy of mine uses that split tube foam insulation around the bottom of his goose shells to float them. They stack up nice so he can store a bunch more of them in the blind.

\
i tried that years ago.. rigged up 350 or so.. weighted em and everything.. first gust flips em over.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby blugoose » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Yes we kill geese over water. I use shells, floaters, socks, flyers and full bodies. And 3 or 4 good callers works also. Mostly need good wind to get the snows low enough. They be smart. Clear no wind day they come in high and work the real birds. Good luck.
blugoose
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm

possumfoot wrote:

I would use mostly sillo socks to fill the spread mixed in with shell and floters. For snows on private land most will set up around 1k+ snow decoys. I cant see someone using 1k floaters and full bodies.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Did you all miss the part where he said decoys were not an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Did you all miss the part where he said decoys were not an issue?

Haha! "This is what I would do". Who cares!! The OP asked if floaters would work, not what "you" would do. Love these guys on here! They got it all figured out!
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Did you all miss the part where he said decoys were not an issue?

Simmer down jerk!
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:46 pm

AKPirate wrote:

Simmer down jerk!

Don't you have an Eskimo to hump? :lol:

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm

i have a dry spread.. 1200+ silosocks.. but anyone that hunts sillosocks knows that rainy days are not so good.. also calm days.. i do not leave my SS spread out.. i am asking if a perminant water spread will work well.. don't want FB's as they are too much work.. i can put floaters out by boat in said field.. can pick them up by boat as well.. this is not a combo type deal.. its all floaters with maybe a few FB's on top of the pit.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby speczilla » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 am

Floaters will definitely work. BUT I would not just buy the snow floaters that are on the market right now. The only snow floaters offered have upright heads. I would also buy honkers/spec floaters that are sleepers and paint them white. An all floater spread with upright heads will send a signal to every decoding snow that there is something not right. Mix in sleepers and it won't give off that bad vibe.

I only mention that because today I was scouting and saw 10,000 snows on a flooded rice field and over half of them were sleeping. Granted it was warm and sunny. Throw some of those into the mix and I bet that you will do well.

Btw the way no way you can get a dozen new, good looking floaters for 100-140. Maybe six for that cost if you are a pro-staffer. I know what the decoy companies pay to get them made in China.
speczilla
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:37 am

speczilla wrote:Btw the way no way you can get a dozen new, good looking floaters for 100-140. Maybe six for that cost if you are a pro-staffer. I know what the decoy companies pay to get them made in China.

ok.. 200 per dozen but i'm filty rich and money is no object..

but you may want to check extra close into what you KNOW about how much they pay to get em made.. bet you bought some decoys at "cost" and someone fed you a line of crap.

i can buy snow floaters for 49.99 a 6 pack.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 am

possumfoot wrote:
speczilla wrote:Btw the way no way you can get a dozen new, good looking floaters for 100-140. Maybe six for that cost if you are a pro-staffer. I know what the decoy companies pay to get them made in China.

ok.. 200 per dozen but i'm filty rich and money is no object..

but you may want to check extra close into what you KNOW about how much they pay to get em made.. bet you bought some decoys at "cost" and someone fed you a line of crap.

i can buy snow floaters for 49.99 a 6 pack.

want to mail me a few dz at that price. :thumbsup:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 am

possumfoot wrote: i'm filty rich and money is no object..

So you get government subsidies ?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

friedcoot wrote:
possumfoot wrote: i'm filty rich and money is no object..

So you get government subsidies ?

Oh for the love of God make it stop!

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting