Increasing Whitetail Success Rate

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Increasing Whitetail Success Rate

Postby maestromatt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am

My father and I (right and left in my profile picture) hunt zones 34 and 35 of Wisconsin, which is also known as Vilas County and another county whose name escapes me. I don't know if anyone here has hunted that area before, but it's a pretty vast area. That being said, the deer are pretty spread out. This past gun-deer season we got blessed with 2 good looking deer, but this has been our first real take in about 2-3 years.

I would like to increase our success rate without having to leave the 2 zones since hunting there has been a family tradition for 30+ back when my grandfather took my dad and his brother hunting. The land we hunt is private land that is open to the public (as of this year), but it maybe become solely private with only our hunting party allowed to hunt it.

Does anyone have advice for hunting this area? Attached are 2 photos of the area where my stand is place and the general look of the woods.
Attachments
hunting stand view.JPG
hunting stand looking at.JPG
maestromatt
hunter

Re: Increasing Whitetail Success Rate

Postby KRB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 am

I hunt a similar looking place in northern Maine, also not many deer per sq mi. No one in that camp sit's in stand's. Try still hunting, it is tougher than stand hunting but more rewarding when you sneak up on a huge north woods buck. :beer:
KRB
hunter

Postby maestromatt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm

maestromatt
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 am

I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. Unless you are willing to hunt absolutely every day that you can legally firearm hunt there is no way you are going to get a deer every year. I hunt in burnett county just to the west of you and I can literally still hunt for 3-4 days and cover 10 miles without jumping a deer up.
The guys that have the most success are driving deer in the northwoods. I saw a group of about 24 hunters this year that managed to kill 16 during the regular gun season. They were driving through public parcels with blockers. Even then, only 2 out of 3 went home with a deer in 9 hard days of hunting.
With the winters we had the last two years the hunting is about to get even harder. I would say it is realistic to only expect a kill every 3 years at best. It will probably be 6 years between bucks at that rate. You can always up your odds by hunting hard with a bow as well. Or you can just give up and try to find someone in southern farm country to hunt with, like I did.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 pm

better get out of the stand and start driving them. IMO big and usually public woods like that with a thin herd usually only kills with extreme penitence or walking around looking for them.

I have a buddy that hunts the larger public woods like that in WI as well and he says they drive and they usually dont fill tags for everybody who partakes. they usually never have more than a part of 6-7 guys though.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby WIgunner30 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Wish I could help but can't. I hunt wi central farmland. Nothing like a 170 class corn fed buck. I have buddies that go up north they get mad because I have a big buck hanging every yr and all they see is wolves coyotes and bears. I just think the deer numbers a down period in the northern forests. Numbers are even down in farm country with all this doe shooting pushed by the dnr. I see 1/4 the deer as 12 yrs ago
WIgunner30
hunter

Return to Big Game