I am just sick about my Auto-5

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

I am just sick about my Auto-5

Postby bernie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Nothing is wrong with it, it appears to be wrong with me. I have longed for an "old-school" Auto-5 to duck hunt with. I like the whole concept of using such an old design to kill birds the same way granddad did.

Last year I found a 12 gauge Magnum Auto-5 with synthetic stocks and a barrel with Invector+ chokes. I love the gun, it functions flawlessly. It is everythng I thought it would be.

Except I cannot hit with it. At all. I mean almost never do I connect. My guess is that the "humpback" design is throwing me off because I grew up shooting round backed receivers.

I shot some informal clays over the summer and got to where I was pretty "fair" with the Auto-5. But by the time duck season rolled around, I could not hit with the gun.

Before I take the radical step of selling this shotgun or setting it back for my 12 year old when he is older, does anyone have any suggestions to help me overcome this?
bernie
hunter

Re: I am just sick about my Auto-5

Postby 12ganooby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Before you sell it, have you checked how it fits, length of pull first and foremost? I've seen a lot of A5's that are short in the length of pull.
Otherwise, how much do you want for it?
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 pm

You can wish any shotgun to hit as much as you want. If it don't fit, it won't hit.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm

PM me pics and price please
hankyorke
hunter

Postby tbarto » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm in the process of buying one. I plan to change the sight to a nice and bright fiberoptic like an easyhit. Maybe that will help? Worth a try.
tbarto
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Take the gun out and shoot it on paper. See where it's hitting, best place to start.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Short answer: Find a good gun fitter and he should be able to figure out what's wrong and help you adjust the gun to you.

Long answer: Like War Wagon said, shoot it on paper. Don't sit it on sandbags and shoot like you're testing different loads. Mount it like you normally would when pulling up on a bird and shoot the paper. Do this 3-4 times on the same sheet of paper, replace paper and shoot it 3-4 more times. See if there is similarities and if there is, it will help on how to adjust the stock. This is the only way to figure out how the gun needs to be adjusted. You also need a good consistent mount for this to be accurate.

Not sure where you're located but I am NC and would be happy to meet up and help you.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby bernie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:11 pm

I appreciate the offer to help! However, I am in NE Arkansas, and that might be a bit far.

I do understand about fitting a shotgun. I had an 1187 Light Contour that did not fit me, and it was replaced with a Browning that did. It makes all the difference.
bernie
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:24 pm

You are probably right, the Browning humpback models have 3" drop at the heel. Most of the guns sold today have only about 2 1/4" inches drop. This is a common problem with people who use this model switching guns.
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 am

tbarto wrote:I'm in the process of buying one. I plan to change the sight to a nice and bright fiberoptic like an easyhit. Maybe that will help?

'Fraid not. :no: Changing the front bead will not change the gun's fit, or the shooter's skill level.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am

tbarto wrote:I'm in the process of buying one. I plan to change the sight to a nice and bright fiberoptic like an easyhit. Maybe that will help? Worth a try.

Won't help and unnecessary. Just stick with the factory bead, you shouldn't be looking at it anyways.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby bernie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Actually the front bead on it is a small green fiber optic. I do not know if it is original or not, but it does not help that much.
bernie
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Sometimes I think certain guns just have bad mojo or something. Every one of my shotguns fits me a little differently but on any given day I can grab one of them and do pretty well........except for one. I had a Maxus that patterned beautifully for me on paper and I could break clay with it but for some damn reason I had a hell of a time killing ducks and dove with it. I loved everything about the way it felt and functioned but with that gun I'd get into slumps, and those slumps were starting to really hurt my confidence in the blind. Eventually I sent that gun and its bad luck down the road. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm

I agree 100% with Clampdaddy. I bought a sweet Benelli montefeltro 20ga that I absolutely loved. Shouldered great,swung like a dream, and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. Tried every shim and configuration I could with it,but no dice. Made me sick to sell it. I couldn't hit clays or doves with it,so it had to go :violin:
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Shoot at paper - see where it patterns as was suggested.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I agree; some guns just won't work for a shooter. And some guns perform above and beyond.
I have a 20 gauge BPS that has no appeal to me whatsoever (I won it at a DU dinner); it's ugly, awkward to handle, the forearm is loose and clackity, and the safety makes my thumb raw.
But that stupid gun kills doves that I have no right to be hitting. I don't know what it is about it, but it seems to point at the right place at the right time even when my hold/mount/sight picture/timing/etc. is WAY off.... That's the only reason I still own it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby bernie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 pm

It is strange how some guns work for you and some don't. I have decided this shotgun has bad juju for me, and I am going to sell it. It is just kind of disappointing as I had wanted this gun for years, and had a tough time finding one, and once I did, I can't shoot it to save my life!
bernie
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 am

bernie wrote: It is just kind of disappointing as I had wanted this gun for years, and had a tough time finding one, and once I did, I can't shoot it to save my life!
That has to be very frustrating. Perhaps a different Auto-5 would be just what you want. I'm sure they changed the gun somewhat (fit-wise) over the 120 years they were produced.
mudpack
hunter

Postby A5 hunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am

Sorry to hear your A5 is not working out well. Does it have a ventilated rib. I have shot some variation of an A5 for 40 years and have only had a problem when I started shooting the rib version. I shot over everything. Got use to it no problem since. As others have said take the time to pattern it, if you have not, It may surprise you what that tells you. Hope it works out.
Take a kid hunting and give thanks to those that took you. Thanks Pop
A5 hunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum