bass fisherman

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

bass fisherman

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:34 pm

what fish finders do you all use? i am currently looking to add an inexpensive one to the front of my boat to use while trolling. i have an eagle magna view that i have mounted at the console. i am not too thrilled with it's performance though. i am looking for something under the $200 price range. any recommendations? thanks in advance.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:11 pm

Dynamite. What else is there? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :toofunny:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:53 pm

I know that you are looking for something under 200...but I will tell you what, get a Vexilar FL-18. I have been crushing the fish with it. It will cost you 400 bucks but if you want fish...this is what you want. Now...this will read in "real time" your bait and any fish under you. This system will not work if you want to cast spinners for bass. I have a freezer full of fish that says the thing works.
Snaph
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:58 pm

gahunter wrote:Dynamite. What else is there? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :toofunny:

One of those old hand-cranked telephones. There are still a few outlaws in the south using those.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:32 pm

gahunter wrote:Dynamite. What else is there? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :toofunny:

That reminds me of this joke

No one in this town could catch any fish except this one man. The game warden asked him how he did it. The man told the game warden that he would take him fishing the next day. Once they got to the middle of the lake the man took out a stick of dynamite, lit it, and threw it in the water. After the explosion fish started floating to the top of the water. The man took out a net and started picking up the fish. The game warden told him that this was illegal. The man took out another stick of dynamite and lit it. He then handed it to the game warden and said " are you going to fish or talk".
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:58 pm

Snafu518 wrote:I know that you are looking for something under 200...but I will tell you what, get a Vexilar FL-18. I have been crushing the fish with it. It will cost you 400 bucks but if you want fish...this is what you want. Now...this will read in "real time" your bait and any fish under you. This system will not work if you want to cast spinners for bass. I have a freezer full of fish that says the thing works.

i'll check it out. thanks. i don't understand what you mean by "...This system will not work if you want to cast spinners for bass....". can you explain? i mainly fish artificial baits (strike kings, terminators, shad-raps, etc.) thanks.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:21 am

While talking about fishing electronics, I want to give a warning. I would stay away from Pinpoint electronics. In my experience they are junk, but they are expensive junk. My dad has probably had about 5 total units, but only paid for one. (kept sending them and getting new ones in return) The problem was that they weren't water proof. Water would seep into the screen so you couldn't see any of the screen.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:22 am

While talking about fishing electronics, I want to give a warning. I would stay away from Pinpoint electronics. In my experience they are junk, but they are expensive junk. My dad has probably had about 5 total units, but only paid for one. (kept sending them and getting new ones in return) The problem was that they weren't water proof. Water would seep into the screen so you couldn't see any of the screen. Lowrance on the other hand makes an excellent product in my opinion.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:27 pm

Shrpshtr.

The transducer only reads what is under you. And they don't work real well in shallow water. So. if you are in lets say 8 ft of water and casting out 15 or 20 ft, the system will not pick up your spinbait. The transducer only has a 19 Degree cone...so the deeper the water the wider the cone gets.
Snaph
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 pm

in other words, if you were doing some vertical jigging, it would always pick up your bait on the screen. :getdown:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Right. As long as your bait in within the read field of the transducer.
Snaph
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:53 am

thanks anyway. it sounds like a good system but not applicable for my situation. i do appreciate the info.

come everyone else, there has to be more than just a couple of fishermen on here. no other recommendations?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:15 am

I use my fish finder mainly to tell me what the structure is like below me and if I spot large fish I drop a marker and move off the spot abit so I can work my baits/lures through that area. but I do many types of fishing not just for bass so you may find a better method. So to answer your Question, any fish finder that will give you an accurate reading of what the structure is like/depth & temp will do the trick after that its up to you as to brand/model and options. Good luck and good fishing!!

Keep the sport alive, take a kid hunting / fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:20 pm

i have a bottom line fish finder. works pretty good. but yeah snafu is right fish finders dont really work good for bass. because your casting in the shallows where the tranducer wont reach. i just generally use mine for depth and temp. and structure.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Fishing