Diy stencils

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Diy stencils

Postby foxtrot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm

So I am camo painting my boat. Yes I know that boat camo is more for the owner than the birds. So I was not wanting to cut a bunch of stencils from plastic. So I used paper and I've sprayed clear flex seal. I've cut a few and I'm spraying them down. When I use them I'll update. Anyone have any thoughts? Image
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain
foxtrot
hunter

Re: Diy stencils

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 am

You can get a pretty good effect somewhat easier than cutting out all those stencils. First, you need to reverse your thinking a bit. Start by painting the boat with the lighter color (grass). Once you've got the base color down, get a few handfuls of grass and hold them against the boat. Spray the dark colors over the grass and against the hull. You can mix the dark colors a bit to get different shading and shadows.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I did my own stencils for my hybrid NL. I printed out images and then covered them with a layer of clear packing tape on the front and back side. A little time with an exacto knife and they were done. Your technique should work just fine.

My boat is on the right with stencils and my buddies boat is on the left with the sprayed grass technique. His doesn't look as good but the ducks don't care. Once we grassed them you can't really even see the paint.

sharris
hunter

Postby foxtrot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Well I made it through the engine cowling and the stencil is pretty rough. I doubt it will last much longer.
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain
foxtrot
hunter

Postby BigRiver » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I cut simple ones from cardstock. They were actually Miller High Life cases :lol3:

They held up long enough to do my 14' Jon boat.
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Postby CountryRN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Go to the dollar store and get the plastic table place mats for kids. They hold up very well.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting