Duck Hunting Forum banner

American Waterfowler magazine

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  vincentpa 
#1 ·
I just read an article that states that Virginia hunters, whose primary goose is the SJB population of geese have their bag limits increased from 3 to 5 daily during their late season Jan-Feb. Here in the NW Zone we get 3/day all season long, in the tiniest zone in all of Pa.. What B.S........

#5 ·
I actually thought your james bay was included in the resident zone but I see I'm mistaken. Having looked now though ill say you start a month earlier than we do, and we go a month later than you.

#6 ·
My point here is that Pa. goes to great lengths to protect these birds here in probably the smallest zone in the U.S., the NWZ, and yet Virginia ups the bag limit on these same birds for their late season. Makes no sense to me. A SJB goose is coming from the same place: Akimiski Island, and yet our daily bag limit remains the same all season, but in other states the limit is upped from 3 to 5. Can someone explain the logic here because it eludes me.......... :huh:

#7 ·
Don, I have always thought it's political and due to the goose management in linesville. Same reason you can't early goose hunt hartstown swamp, they want and need birds around for the blinds. Or a one bird limit in September around linesville in early season, same thing applies.

#8 ·
Not sure on why are limit goes up. Could be a much larger population of hunters that hunt Erie compaired to central VA??? They think more hunters killing 3 equals out to less hunters killing 5. Just a guess.

#11 ·
I think all the regs should be the same from state to state on migrating birds. Never made sense to me why different bag limits or why NY, NJ, MD, VA are all allowed to use motorized decoys but PA isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
vincentpa said:
After cleaning three, I wish I hadn't shot the other two.
It's because you don't know what you are doing! BOOM! :lol: I'll show you next time we are out how to clean a goose in 40 to 45 seconds. Then you will want to shoot five a day buddy. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
001kds said:
vincentpa said:
After cleaning three, I wish I hadn't shot the other two.
It's because you don't know what you are doing! BOOM! :lol: I'll show you next time we are out how to clean a goose in 40 to 45 seconds. Then you will want to shoot five a day buddy. :thumbsup:
Remember, I take the legs and thighs too. Hearts and livers as well! It takes me a little longer. But, I'll gladly take any advice you can give. I would love for someone to tell me how to take that tough skin off easily around the knee of the bird's leg. That's a b!tch!

The big problem the last time was that I got home too late and was too tired to clean the fresh birds. I left the bustards out in the freezing cold overnight and let them thaw the next day. They were still cold as hell when I cleaned them. That skin did not want to separate from the meat. I was worn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.