Bratwurst done right

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Bratwurst done right

Postby dudejcb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:26 am

I noticed one of the other posters has a tag line that says he "loves da Packers." Well so do I and it's that time of year again where football and brats go together.

Bratwurst aren't typically wild game (although my brother had some made of bear meat that were awesome) I have noticed that not many folks really know how to cook brats, so will offer this method used widley in Green Bay... wher ethey know their brats. Do not ccok brats start to finish on the grill... it takes too long and usually results in grease flare-ups that reduces them to little charred foul tasting links. do this instead...

Fill a large pot halfway with water, add a can of beer and a whole onion chopped or sliced. (if you want to add other stuff to the brew go ahead--this isn't rocket science.) Simmer the brats in the pot to cook them and remove most of the grease. Once they're cooked in the beer/water/onion pot, finsh them on the grill or in a fry pan till browned. It only take a couple of minutes per side. Now they should be moist, and flavorful.

If you want to eat them at halftime or whatever, you can place the finished brats back into the beer/water/onion pot to hold them till you're ready to chow. BTW: leftover brats go great with eggs as do duck breasts fried in butter with cajun spices...

Go Pack! America's true team!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:07 pm

You are correct sir, the only thing I do differently is that I use more beer than water. Typically 3 bottles of beer, then use 2 bottles of water, of if you must 2 bottles of beer to1 bottle of water....You get the idea.

I know that brats off the grill are delicious, but if you can wait, add the cooked brats back to the beer/water/onion mixture and let soak for 10-15 minutes. Top with Franks kraut (or any saurkraut), ketchup and mustard.

I guarantee these will be the best, juciest brats you'll ever eat.

This is advice coming from a Wisconsin (Green Bay) native living in Kansas.

Now if anyone has advice on how to smoke brisket...I am all ears.

Have a great day.

Ross
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am

Go figure. I'm a Green Bay native too ... and we cook brats the same. Apparently we're the only ones who link football, huntiung season, and brats.

Do folks in Kansas know to soak sweet corn with the husks on and then grill it rather than boil?

Hated to see the Bears get away with one Sunday night, but it does give McCarthy something to coach up. Imagine what it will be like when the Pack begins to play up to it's apparent potential. Hopefully Favre will stay long enough to go ut on a high note. Go Pack Go!
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm

favre sucks
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm

the bears swallow.

rmb79
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 am

I have several friends (I know, what a shock!) that are either Bears or Vikings fans. They all wish they had Favre on their team. He remains the most exciting player in the NFL; every pass is likely to be either a touchdown or an interception and no one can deny he still has a missile launcher for an arm.

I would prefer that he not throw some of those give away passes, but overall, he's a man's man. Every time life has thrown him a bad break he has come back stronger, which is why I knew he wouldn't retire 2 years ago when things weren't going well. When the Packers young offensive line starts to run block consistently the Pack will be a team to reckon with, even more so than now.

In the meantime, how is Rex doing?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:04 am

rmb79 wrote:the bears swallow.

The only thing the bears swallowed was the packers on sunday. Ate em right up.

Rex sucks, there's no denying that.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Skyblaster7 wrote:favre sucks

When the Chicago Bears made Brian Griese their starter last week, he became the 21st quarterback to start for them since Week 4 of the 1992 season.

In that same stretch, the Green Bay Packers have started only one — Brett Favre.

Does Favre still suck?......I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man..Zing :lol:

rmb79
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:09 am

I think one thing we can all agree on is that the Cowboys are NOT America's team, and Cowboy fans are the most obnoxious ever.

Several years ago when the Packers won the NFC title game against San Francisco, the 49'ers place a whole page ad in the Green Bay Press Gazette; congratualting the Pack and rooting for their success representing the NFC in the Sbowl. Very classy.

When the Pack is out of the running, and the Bears (or any NFC North team) move on I tend to feel the same way toward them, and appreciate the happiness of their fans. that said, I'll never feel the same about the Cowboys or their obnoxious braggart fans.

However, da Bearsss are still trailing the Pack and I don't think they "ate" the Pack so much as the Pack made enough errors to finally give it away... but a win is a win, and the Eagles did the same thing for the Pack on openeing day--talk about winning ugly.
dudejcb
hunter

most obnoxious nfl team

Postby bazookaram » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Dudejcb, I beg to differ on you pick. I live in Southern California, I am a loyal Packers fan. Anywhere I go to watch a game, or just out to eat/drink on sunday I have to deal with the wretched refuse that is the Oakland Raiders fan club. I do not fit in as I am not a shaved bald gangbanger so unless I choose to find a club sports bar to see the Packers play I do so at home.

Steve
Just cruising around on idle, trying to enjoy the days not working
bazookaram
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:49 am

you have a good point. I too lived in So Cal for about 18 years, and had to deal with Raiderfan felons and ram fan nitwits. Guys who don't know how to rib another fan with a smile, but instead want to fight.

Way back in the day, when the Snake and Belitnikoff played for the Raiders, they were a team to enjoy. but when they moved to So Cal and put money ahead of sport they became felonfan material an, you're right, so called raider fans are not fans at all. just felons looking for a reason to assualt anyone.

I perfer good natured fan support, and am looking forward to tonights game with Denver. Go Pack!
dudejcb
hunter

Pack vs. ponies

Postby bazookaram » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:20 pm

I don't remember much of the snake days but remember the rams before they were the Lambs. My parents had to peel my jersey off to wash it. So far it's a great game but two trips to 1st and goal and no joy???
Just cruising around on idle, trying to enjoy the days not working
bazookaram
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:24 pm

Guys this is great but this really don't have anything to do with cookin so how about we get back on track... this would be a better post for the sports form....thanks
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:10 am

good call. I just loked at the sports frum and the most recent comment is from last January 1.

I'll guess that this chat room makes money based on how many hits it gets, and perhaps these are sports comments, but some of us linked up because of food and added to the tally. But I suppose a "moderator" has to do something.

Ain't that Brett Favre something?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:37 pm

Being a Chicago fan makes me sick this year, but we did beat the Pack, so it's not a bad season.

The way to properly cook a brat is the other way!!!!! Cook on the grill first-----then boil in beer, onions. The grill will burn off the delicate taste of the beer. Boiling last makes the beer taste much more flavorful!

Go Bears!!!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!
Beerswimmer
hunter

Postby MallardMauler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:53 pm

Ok, little different take on this. Get aluminum pan (the deep throw away type) and fill with beer, brats, onion and garlic, lots of garlic. Put on the BBQ and bring to a boil. THEN put on the grill for a short time. Oh man, way to eat them....goes great with a few teal.
MallardMauler
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Beerswimmer, I think you've got it backwards but what can one expect from a Bears fan... (BTW: it is good to see the old black and blue division still beating each other up regardless of records... Go Pack!)

Mallard Mauler's method sounds right, and I bet if you threw mallard legs into the juice they'd come out great...
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking