Huntin Sauvie with Dog

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Huntin Sauvie with Dog

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 am

Well, I'm done huntin ducks but I'm already planing for next season---I KNOW I'm not alone.
Next season I'll have a dog, and I'm trying to figure out what to use at Sauvie when I'm huntin the blinds to keep her from sittin in a mud & water pit where the dog windows are-----and sometimes they are under water also. I could go with a stand, but I think it would be too big for that blind area. Any thoughts from you guys with dogs out there. kerry
60's hunter
hunter

Re: Huntin Sauvie with Dog

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 pm

When I hunt mud hen with my friend we laid corn stalks down to create a mat. It worked and kept the dog dry.
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Try something like this turkey seat but, without webbing maybe screw a thin sheet of plastic or veneer to the top, to keep the dogs paws from falling through.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/H-S-Stru ... lsrc=aw.ds

Of course, there is always the option of sitting the dog in front of the blind. Most are only muddy in front when there is high water.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 am

Good idea's guys---thanks. I like the turkey seat----probably work in most cases & doesn't cost 150.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:41 am

There are some pretty good plans for building one out of PVC in the hunting dog forum. Do a search there.
labsforme
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 am

Now that I think about it------unless there is standing water, I might just cut a piece of exterior plywood & maybe glue some close cell foam on top----at least that would keep her her from sinkin in the mud.
60's hunter
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting