Flocking

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Flocking

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:25 pm

What places do you guys like to buy your flocking from?

I've looked at flockit.com and saw all the color choices

For the mallards I was going to use the mallard green feather brown and white

For the bluebells black and white

For gads the feather brown and charcoal.

Any of you guys used them or any of these colors? This is my first time flocking and don't want to buy too much and have a lot of waste if the colors aren't right. Any pointers on the colors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC


Re: Flocking

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Aero Outdoors supplies quality flocking materials in kit form or bulk. Their color coded glues are purpose built for the application . They are as rugged as they are realistic . You can`t go wrong with their product . I have personally used them with great success.


Image
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Location: LENEXA Ks.

Re: Flocking

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I use 4 colors of flocking, feather brown, goose grey, black and white. All nylon and I get them from Flockit. All the other color is added with airbrush.

for mallards I use feather brown for hens, goose grey, feather brown and black flocking for drakes.
Image
Image

for bluebills, white and black for drakes, feather brown for hens.
Image
Image


for gadwall, goose grey, feather brown and black flocking for drakes, feather brown for hens.
Image
Image
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Flocking

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks guys

Woodduck. That is very impressive. I have noticed that when I was searching through the posts. How does the airbrush color hold up with heavy use. I have my airbrush from my taxidermy hobby and would enjoy painting them just curious about the wear with that paint compared to flocking with different colors
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: Flocking

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:55 am

Painting makes the flocking tougher when done properly, but how they hold up depends on how well you care for your decoys. Flocked decoys aren't for everyone, if you like to texas rig your decoys and toss them into the back of your pick up, then flocked decoys probably aren't a good choice. Decoys are one of my most important tools in duck hunting and I'm not careless in how I use them. I hunt hard, but I don't throw my decoys around any more than I throw my shotgun around. All decoys, flocked or just painted, show wear over time, especially if they are abused. I use slot bags, but don't single bag the decoys unless they are going into the same slot with another decoy, keeping them from rubbing against each other is important. Using paint compatible with the glue is also important to adhesion and durability. There are many components to flocking durability and adhesion as well as paint adhesion, things that have to be addressed are chemical, mechanical, technical, thermal, viscid, encapsulation, fusion, coadunation, and UV degredation. Most commercial flocking jobs only address one or two of these issues, that's why they fail over time, but of course nothing is going to last forever, but you can make things last longer than factory flocking. We have a proprietary process that involves 29 steps, most companies use 3 steps. Paint adhesion has as much to do with technique as it does with paint type.

This is a photo of some of my decoys after a full season. The flecks of stuff on them is weed debris, two black ducks and a mallard hen.

Image

The goldeneye drake decoy on the left is 6 years old. The green is still holding well after 6 seasons and it goes with us on every hunt. The white has been repainted once over the past 6 years.

Image
Last edited by woodduck31 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Flocking

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 am

Duck Nasty wrote:What places do you guys like to buy your flocking from?

I've looked at flockit.com and saw all the color choices

For the mallards I was going to use the mallard green feather brown and white

For the bluebells black and white

For gads the feather brown and charcoal.

Any of you guys used them or any of these colors? This is my first time flocking and don't want to buy too much and have a lot of waste if the colors aren't right. Any pointers on the colors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks


If you're going to buy larger quantities Flockit has a better discount price. If you want to experiment with colors, then Aero has some great options. I have nylon flocking from both and I see zero difference in the actual material. If you want the flocking to stick, your surface prep is by far the most important. If you can, run your decoys through a sand blaster. It gets the old paint off and really scuffs up the plastic. If you can't do that then use a wire wheel on a drill. When you "glue" on the flocking with Rustoleum after that, and let the paint cure, then coat it again, and let the paint cure, you won't be able to scrape it off. Once you're at that point with your decoy it's simple to just break out the airbrush and touch up or redo your birds whenever you want.

Bottom line is it's not an insurmountable task if are willing to put in the time to learn how to do it. If you mess it up, or don't like it, just redo it.....but don't be afraid to try. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Flocking

Postby eagles2069 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:45 am

Don every time I see you post pictures I get mad that all my decoys aren't painted by you haha. I guess the 3 dozen I have will have to do for now :thumbsup:
eagles2069
hunter
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Spokane, Washington

Re: Flocking

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 pm

I will be ordering it on Monday. I just carved a few bodies out today and coated them so another set of mastic and Primer I will be ready to flock them. Thanks everyone for the advice
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: Flocking

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:I will be ordering it on Monday. I just carved a few bodies out today and coated them so another set of mastic and Primer I will be ready to flock them. Thanks everyone for the advice


Oops....thought you were talking about plastic decoys.
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Flocking

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
Duck Nasty wrote:I will be ordering it on Monday. I just carved a few bodies out today and coated them so another set of mastic and Primer I will be ready to flock them. Thanks everyone for the advice


Oops....thought you were talking about plastic decoys.


I am going to be repainting 2 dozen of my flambeaus too.
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: Flocking

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:49 am

Well got my flocking from flockit. Must say they did send me a wrong color but after 1 email they quickly apologized and sent the right one and told me to keep the other. Great customer service.
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: Flocking

Postby anthony.t » Sat May 03, 2014 3:23 pm

i know this is a oldish post but how much flocking does this take to do each one and could you give me some pointers on how to do this to my decoys . i live in the u.k and we don't get any decoys like this country i would love to be able to make some as they look to notch
thank you for your reply's
anthony t
anthony.t
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am

Re: Flocking

Postby Back for more » Sun May 04, 2014 6:52 pm

anyone have experience flocking pintails. Looking to flock mine , and just wondering what the best color combos are. Going to order from FLOCK IT
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Flocking

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Looks like John O' Neal and I have the same basic approach to this decoy flocking.
Either a color coded adhesive or matching paint.
I use feather brown, black, white, mallard green, and a wine from several sources, but may switch over to red flock instead of wine to make the chestnut breast color on the drake mallards.
I have Van Sickle's flat yellow primer coming from Cal stores for the hens, as well as flat brown Rust Oleum.
I'll use Bisque Tan, and feather brown from Donjer as well as black flock on the hens.
The hen below is my first attempt to produce their feather pattern. Not so great yet, but now I know what I want to do on the full body GHGs and Higdons.
Image
Image
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Flocking

Postby Mean Gene » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm

The bisque tan from Flockit and the caramel from Aero Outdoors are exactly the same color. Flock the whole hen mallard with either and use Rustoleum Sand as the "glue". That will give you the closest to the color of a real hen. I used to do feather brown, then paint. Never again...too dark for my liking. Doesn't look bad, just not what I want. Do two coats. After that paint everything.

I use these colors for painting hen mallards:
1. Raw umber (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
2. Black (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
3. Gray (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
4. Sand (Rustoleum)
5. Light Cream (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
6. Raw Sienna (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
7. Cobalt Blue (if you want the wing patch) ( Rustoleum)
8. White (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)


Not saying my way is best, but it works for me. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Flocking

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Mean Gene wrote:The bisque tan from Flockit and the caramel from Aero Outdoors are exactly the same color. Flock the whole hen mallard with either and use Rustoleum Sand as the "glue". That will give you the closest to the color of a real hen. I used to do feather brown, then paint. Never again...too dark for my liking. Doesn't look bad, just not what I want. Do two coats. After that paint everything.

I use these colors for painting hen mallards:
1. Raw umber (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
2. Black (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
3. Gray (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
4. Sand (Rustoleum)
5. Light Cream (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
6. Raw Sienna (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
7. Cobalt Blue (if you want the wing patch) ( Rustoleum)
8. White (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)


Not saying my way is best, but it works for me. :thumbsup:


Are these colors all flat oil based enamel?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Flocking

Postby Mean Gene » Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:
Mean Gene wrote:The bisque tan from Flockit and the caramel from Aero Outdoors are exactly the same color. Flock the whole hen mallard with either and use Rustoleum Sand as the "glue". That will give you the closest to the color of a real hen. I used to do feather brown, then paint. Never again...too dark for my liking. Doesn't look bad, just not what I want. Do two coats. After that paint everything.

I use these colors for painting hen mallards:
1. Raw umber (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
2. Black (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
3. Gray (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)
4. Sand (Rustoleum)
5. Light Cream (mixed) (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
6. Raw Sienna (Ronan's Japan Superfine)
7. Cobalt Blue (if you want the wing patch) ( Rustoleum)
8. White (Ronan's Japan Superfine or Rustoleum)


Not saying my way is best, but it works for me. :thumbsup:


Are these colors all flat oil based enamel?


Ronan's are flat, black and white can be either, sand and blue are not flat.
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace


Return to Duck Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests