Looking for Some Opinions of the New Browning A5

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Looking for Some Opinions of the New Browning A5

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Like the subject says I'm really looking for some opinions on the new Browning A5 in 3.5 inch. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Looking for Some Opinions of the New Browning A5

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Stiff Recoil. There's a few well-documented bugs if you do a search. That being said, their shell handling is great and they come up and point like a dream. You'll also want aftermarket chokes.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I don't have the 3 1/2 but agree with what uglymug said. Feels like the longer sight plane helps center your eye easier and faster. Have yet to get a choke and try it out, too dang cold and snowy out.
Last edited by Duck_Stank on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:54 pm

uglymug wrote:Stiff Recoil. There's a few well-documented bugs if you do a search. That being said, their shell handling is great and they come up and point like a dream. You'll also want aftermarket chokes.

I've seen most of the problems in post but almost all I've seen have been pretty old like a year or longer. I was thinking browning would of had most of the kinks worked out.
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby BaconBits » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 pm

when you say after market chokes you mean buy the Invector DS chokes from browning, but NOT the ones that come with the gun? Or after market chokes as in from a different company ?? Thanks
BaconBits
hunter

Postby SayQuack » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 pm

BaconBits wrote:when you say after market chokes you mean buy the Invector DS chokes from browning, but NOT the ones that come with the gun? Or after market chokes as in from a different company ?? Thanks

The aftermarket chokes, at least Trulock brand chokes, do not seal like the factory chokes and store a lot of debris that gets into the threads. But the Mod Trulock that I have patters very well.

I have my A5 at Browning right now (3" bought in December) for a problem with the rotating bolt not closing and some firing pin retaining pin damage that has been happening. I purchased mine thinking it would be fine since it was new stock and I figured the kinks had been worked out. I was wrong at least on my particular gun. Despite the problems, I love the gun. It handles so nicely and feels much lighter than it is. Recoil is fine by my standards (shooting pumps my whole life). It aims well and for me at least shoots on point without needing to add any shims. I'm excited to get it back from Browning better than new (hopefully).

I will report back whenever I get it back from Browning on repairs/answers/issues.
SayQuack
hunter

Postby uglymug » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

I've just heard of poor patterning from the factory chokes. Here's a video of factory Invector DS patterns vs. Trulock chokes on a new A5. Not that the pattern was THAT bad, but you'd expect a lot better from a 1600 dollar gun.
uglymug
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I would get one now if you like the way they handle, start pumping some shells through it and that way if you have a problem by getting it now you can have it fixed long before the season starts and get some time on skeet and sporting clays.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Have had one for last two seasons now (3" model) and haven't had a bit of problem with it. I also haven't found aftermarket choke that does any better than my factory mod choke. I would pattern before you buy a choke.
One thing I would suggest is not use Rem oil if your in cold weather, it gets gummy and the gun won't cycle. I use CLP and have no issues.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:59 pm

I use Rem Oil down to -4 degrees F. and have no issues.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Well I'm glad yours didn't but mine did so thought it might be something to mention for others to be aware of.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:06 pm

Well I ended up getting a 3.5 inch version in Shadow Grass Blades and haven't had a hiccup yet. I was wandering of anyone could let me know of a good aftermarket choke or choke set. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Hold on to your face! The 3" Mag and 3.5" shells are really fun(stout gun,recoil operation,higher sight picture and super light waddaya expect right). But really great gun. I bought the extended LM and IM with really good results. I patterned 3" 1 and 3 Remington Nitro-Steel once and the next day clobbered some ducks out pass shooting, was very good.
JWG
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:27 pm

JWG wrote:Hold on to your face! The 3" Mag and 3.5" shells are really fun(stout gun,recoil operation,higher sight picture and super light waddaya expect right). But really great gun. I bought the extended LM and IM with really good results. I patterned 3" 1 and 3 Remington Nitro-Steel once and the next day clobbered some ducks out pass shooting, was very good.

Okay thank you and is there something rattling around in the stock of your A5? Mine has something doing that and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

No, but I will say the swivel stud on the mag cap is noisy. Spring in the mag(or plug) might make noise every now and then but nothing in the stock. Either way I'd look further int a that
JWG
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:06 pm

JWG wrote:No, but I will say the swivel stud on the mag cap is noisy. Spring in the mag(or plug) might make noise every now and then but nothing in the stock. Either way I'd look further int a that

How would I go about that. Call Browning? Go into my local store?

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I guess I'd pop off the stock and have a look, if I didn't find anything I'd hit up yer nearest browning dealer. They should be able ta help whether it needs ta be sent in or not
JWG
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 pm

JWG wrote:I guess I'd pop off the stock and have a look, if I didn't find anything I'd hit up yer nearest browning dealer. They should be able ta help whether it needs ta be sent in or not

Thank ya! I took it off and looked where the shims are and on the stock was a little hole. Inside was some mold from the gun that I guess didn't get bonded good enough. It took about 2 hours but I finally got all of it out of that tiny hole.

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:44 pm

good
JWG
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 pm

LOVE MINE. 3" NO PROBLEMS AT ALL/ CHOKES DO SUCK. I BOUGHT AND INDIAN CREEK CHOKE FOR DUCKS AND A RHINO FOR TURKEY AND BOTH PATTERN REALLY WELL. ITS THE BEST POINTING / FEELING GUN IVE HAD IN A WHILE.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 pm

I have the 3" version in MODB and I love it. No issues at all. I do however hunt with a Pattern Master Code black duck choke with good results.

chevync20
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 am

Only problem so far is it won't cycle 2.75 inch 7 and 8 shot. I guess since I bought the 3.5 inch version those rounds don't have enough power to blow the bolt back but I could care less cause this is my duck gun. I'll be shooting 3s and 3.5s all season not 2.75s.

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 pm

[quote="ChattanoogaDuckHunter"]Only problem so far is it won't cycle 2.75 inch 7 and 8 shot. I guess since I bought the 3.5 inch version those rounds don't have enough power to blow the bolt back but I could care less cause this is my duck gun. I'll be shooting 3s and 3.5s all season not 2.75s.

Try going lighter on gun oil. Use as little as possible. Action works better.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Found a choke tube that works better than factory. Tighter pattern and more uniform. Now shooting a Carlson's Extended Light Modified (non-ported). Come on season!!
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

ChattanoogaDuckHunter wrote:Only problem so far is it won't cycle 2.75 inch 7 and 8 shot. I guess since I bought the 3.5 inch version those rounds don't have enough power to blow the bolt back but I could care less cause this is my duck gun. I'll be shooting 3s and 3.5s all season not 2.75s.

Break it down and deep clean it then go light with the oil and it'll cycle the low brass stuff just fine. Both mine have. This is one thing they do have in common with the gun they got their name from. They don't like a lot of oil. Just a drop or two on the rails and let that sucker eat

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum