All in a days work

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

All in a days work

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:31 pm

THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm

Awesome!!!
I'm totally impressed. I haven't had a day like that yet in Alaska in 34 years of duck hunting! Man I’d like to get a bunch of ducks like that. Usually you see some guy in Arkansas displaying a hunt like the one you had. Good going Redneck! You ever need a hunting partner just ask. On the other side, that's a lot of picking feathers. Not that I wouldn't be glad to do it. I've only got eight in the freezer so far. Really need 20 for a year and all my local ducks up here have gone south? No northern birds showing up yet. Last weekend (Wed. Thur.)only got one, a lesser bluebill. Not much meat there. Did luck out and get seven spruce hens on the way home though, so not all was lost. Again, good job LA.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:55 pm

I can say it was THE best hunt i've been on but i'll have to take all the credit because it took alot of scouting on my part. Otterb if you ever want to hunt your welcome but it not an easy walk to this pond, its down a small hill and then about 200 yards across tundra with waders on but they come in by the flocks. I would like to get in a late season or earlier hunt with you and brett, word it you can call and I would like to take some lessons.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:40 am

Well, that explains why there was nothing to see out in the Knik swamps on friday. LARedneck killed them all!

Nice job LA. This place does have some magic spots hidden away. It just takes the effort to find one of them. You have done well.

I have to ask about those spoonies. Did they commit sucide or attack you and force you to defend yourself? All the spoonies I have taken so far (3) have fallen into the decoys from out of nowhere. This season the one came in and landed at my feet and forced me to shoot it to save myself. If other ducks behaved this way it would be too easy.

Any time you want to drop off the marsh boat, go ahead and put it back in the driveway beside the shack. I am pretty busy each evening of the week these days with the kid so I am hard to meet up with during any kind of normal time frame.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Actually those were my buddies birds, it was only his second time hunting and one came in on a sucide mission with a flock of mallards, poor bird and the other can in by itself and I was out in the tundra linein up drake on some wounded birds. Anyhow i'm get that boat to ya, have they got all those roads fixed around ya.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:27 pm

Those spoonies are going to taste great for a first timer. Hopefully they won't make him stop hunting.

The roads are fixed and I am glad I missed the worst of it in august. That school on DeBarr is still causing some issues, but it may be the utility set up for the new Sam's club going in by Freds causing it too.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:33 pm

I don't think the meat will deter him as i'll be cooking it for him because he's lost on that account but I think the hard work it takes to get to the sweet spots might make him think twice. He was worn out by the time he got to the pond.
Sam's is coming over here, great now all we need is a sportsmans wearhouse and we'll be set.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

spoonies

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:19 pm

You know, I grew up on bluebills, teal and spoonies in southern cal. My dad would have us pick the spoonies, gut and wash them, then hang them by the head in a box with wetted burlap over it for a week (an evaporation cooler). At the end of the week they tasted great! I'll take all the spoonies you guys don't want. Stuff the cavity with hunks of onion and celery and bake at 525 dergees for 25 minutes. mmmmm, mmmmm! Great for lunches.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting