Pump vs Semi - Decisions

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Pump vs Semi - Decisions

Postby Crazy Coot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:33 pm

I started out duck hunting years ago with an 870 and loved that gun. I felt like I needed to upgrade to a semi because most everyone I hunted with had one. After hunting the last several years with various semis I have become comfortable with them, however there are days which I want to go back to an 870. Have any on you made the switch back to a pump after years with a semi? Do most of you prefer a pump or semi?
Crazy Coot
hunter

Re: Pump vs Semi - Decisions

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I often switch back and forth between my SBE Semi and a 92 Weatherby pump. I grew up with a pump and its my first love. However, I have found a new love in the semi autos in recent years. Now when it comes to which gun I pull out of the safe and take hunting, it leans towards the Semi. Its probably best for most shooters to stick with one gun.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Jmorris » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:48 pm

I flip flop all the time. Just depends on how I feel when I get ready to leave. Even grab an over under from time to time.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Crazy Coot wrote: ......Have any on you made the switch back to a pump after years with a semi?.....

I still take a pump out once in a while. Every time one of my autos hiccups I think about switching back for good but I never end up going through with it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 pm

I have a number of shotguns, pumps, simi, o/u's and I switch guns often. I started shooting and hunting with a pump and still like using them. The only problem I have switching guns is that the safety location differs on the different guns. Sometimes it's takes an extra second or two to locate and off the safety. It's not a problem duck hunting but upland hunting when a bird suddenly flushes in front of you finding the safety immediately makes the difference between making a shot and missing.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:38 pm

When I am pass shooting I use the 870 with theremovable dyll choke and also because it is a about 6 oz lighter, in the blind I use the Rem 1100 semi with mod choke.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:39 pm

When I am pass shooting I use the 870 with theremovable dyll choke and also because it is a about 6 oz lighter, in the blind I use the Rem 1100 semi with mod choke.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Frylock » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 am

In thirty years of hunting I've never shot a pump.....kinda strange really. All I own are semi autos, never messed with what works for me. I know a few top notch hunters who shoot old beat to hell pumps and do very, very well - I don't think your success as a hunter/shooter has much to to do with whether you choose an auto or pump.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 am

I started waterfowling with a side-by, then switched to a pump for perhaps a decade before trying so-said "less reliable" semi-autos, which I've stuck with for the past thirty-some years. Still keep an 870 for dog training (it's what's used in HRC tests, and can be used to que Pup to marks) and as a truck gun (IE: the gun I'd least mind being stolen), but I don't recall ever giving a first, much less second, thought to using it as a primary hunting gun.

But that doesn't mean the next guy won't live happily ever after with a pump.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 am

I switch it up depending on where I'm hunting and conditions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Semi... only switch is between 10 and 12.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:12 pm

I will shoot my pump, semi, O/U or SxS it just depends on where I am hunting that day.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Back and forth depends what I feel like.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 pm

I switch around as well. I own 6 shotguns and try to use all of them during season. For waterfowl and upland. Started out on pumps and still like to grab the 870 or even my old win 120 youth for river hunting or grouse. But today's semi autos are nearly as reliable so it's all personal opinion I guess.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm

After buying my first autoloader in 2000, I would use my old faithful 870 Special Purpose Waterfowl on one or two duck trips a year.
I still like the old gun, after all these years and might take it out on a duck hunt once every two or three seasons now. I'd probably use it more if it were camo'd.
I sometimes use a 20 pump when I dove hunt and pigeon hunt, so it takes about two shots to get back into a pump, or back into an autoloader when I switch up.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum