Off Season?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Off Season?

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 am

What do you guys do in the off season? Gearing up for turkey season? Fishing? There hasn't been much activity on the Georgia forum so I wanted to start up some more conversation. What is your favorite turkey call, or duck call? Take it easy guys have a good day!
Thanks
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Re: Off Season?

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 am

My off season is the dead of winter.. 4 ft of snow here. so I ice fish, hunt grouse and rabbits. Also spend too much time on DHC.

By mid Feb I start getting ready for the spring snow goose season... buying new crap and fixing the old stuff, pining away for the long days in the field.

We have wild turkeys come in the yard, so no calls... just sit out back and when he shows up it's over. A little like going to the grocery store... but I don't get too excited for that. I have more fun watching them run around all year than I do shooting them.

Favorite duck call... I have a little hand made wood duck call. Just like the look of it.

This winter is going to be a long one... lots of snow making it hard to hunt rabbits, and the geese will more than likely be late this spring. I might need to take up a new hobby.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:49 am

Mope around a lot shortly after the season... Put gear up in attic... Mope some more... Hope my new boat gets built before next season... Mope some more... You get the picture.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 am

^^^ that's partially true but I am working on some prototype hand turned duck calls to test in the upcoming season. I may end up trying to find a few fellows on here that hunt a lot to help me test sound and durability.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Sounds great guys. I guess I need to share too haha. I like the mope and mope some more. :lol: I really did get depressed after the end of the season. My favorite duck call is a Rais-A-Ruckus leopard wood call. And favorite turkey call is by the same company, a sycamore and walnut box call. I have a new pot call on the way from him, for my quota turkey hunt this time next month. I am ready for some fishing coming up and hopefully going back up to the Addie's.
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

DuckGooseDestroyer wrote:Sounds great guys. I guess I need to share too haha. I like the mope and mope some more. :lol: I really did get depressed after the end of the season. My favorite duck call is a Rais-A-Ruckus leopard wood call. And favorite turkey call is by the same company, a sycamore and walnut box call. I have a new pot call on the way from him, for my quota turkey hunt this time next month. I am ready for some fishing coming up and hopefully going back up to the Addie's.

You fish for trout up there? I've checked it out on the map... I'm only about 6 hours from there. Though I don't get started for trout till June on account of the goose hunt, I'll make exceptions for a hot spot.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Trout fishing in the Adirondacks?
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:20 pm

DuckGooseDestroyer wrote:Trout fishing in the Adirondacks?

I thought I asked that question... ?
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 am

Well if you want to hike in there to some great summer trout fishing it will be well worth it because they feed well then but let me worn you the Black Flys will eat you alive!!! My favorite time to go is in the Fall 2 week of October. We hiked in 6 miles and caught the bruisers!
Attachments
Addies4.JPG
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby killerv » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:26 am

Been enterin' decoy shows. Decoys need something to do in the offseason too you know.

Here is the lastest one I finished.
killerv
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 pm

DuckGooseDestroyer wrote:Well if you want to hike in there to some great summer trout fishing it will be well worth it because they feed well then but let me worn you the Black Flys will eat you alive!!! My favorite time to go is in the Fall 2 week of October. We hiked in 6 miles and caught the bruisers!

Nice fish! I usually fish in the spring, in May and June, before it gets too hot. Fall is 100% duck hunting for me.

The flies have never stopped me anywhere else,Usually at higher elevation it's ok? doubt they'd be that bad compared to northern qc... when you see dark clouds rolling in and you think you should put on your raincoat only to find out 10 minutes later that it's just the next hatch of flies... goodtimes for everyone there.... and that's only the blackflies. I'm sure there are nastier bugs in the world but the horse,deer and moose flys are the worst in my book. Thank God they rarely hatch at the same time as the blackflies.

I'll have to take a look at those maps again... I don't have too many good trout spots near where I am now.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Spend as much time with the family as possible is #1 on my list. Then hit the coast and fish as much as I can before we start planting cotton again.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Mugs,
The black flies will eat you aloe but in the summer in June it is about the worst but you will get some awesome fishing out of it! If you are only 6 hours from the Adirondacks then I would defiantly say go! You won be disappointed. We hiked into the west canada wilderness area, it was a 6 mile hike. I would highly advise you to do it!
Last edited by DuckGooseDestroyer on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

killerv wrote:Been enterin' decoy shows. Decoys need something to do in the offseason too you know.

Here is the lastest one I finished.

Holy smokes man those decoys are amazing looking! Keep up the good work God has really gifted you to do that!
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Well.. my off season just ended, spring snowgeese just opened up here. Only thing is there's 4 feet of snow everywhere. :huh: :help: :fingerhead:

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 am

Alright well Mugz good luck on your snow goose hunting. Keep us updated. I hope you can make it to the Addie's this year!
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:07 pm

i dont have a chance to mope. cause soon as the season is over the dog and i are out training for the up coming hunt test season. when that is over start training even harder for the fall hunt test season. then not to long after fall season is over duck season starts. so basicly get you a retriever and your duck season almost never ends.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Killerv those are some awesome decoys, keep up the good work!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:44 am

I wish I had a dog so bad to go hunt with me. Take it easy guys! Good luck on your dog training!
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 am

Unread postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 am

I wish I had a dog so bad to go hunt with me. Take it easy guys! Good luck on your dog training!

Wishing ain't gonna make it so, I just bought me another boykin pup, born Dec 5th, fixing to get serious about her training here as soon as this weather makes up it's mind what it gonna do, that wind yesterday and last night was a PIA. Yall be safe out there!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Im usually busy making duck calls and managing my little piece of private property. I'm getting ready for turkey season now though , I call in competitions all summer but I got qualified for worlds this year early so I got a lot more time to prepare for next season and get some calls made.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Awesome!! Sounds fun. I have never been to a calling competition but I would like to. I want to go up the the wings over the prairie festival this year but I am not sure if I can make it happen. Keep e'em coming guys I really like to read these. Have a good rest of the Tuesday!!
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:07 pm

^^ you should most definitely go. I've called in the worlds championship the last 2 years and this will be my third and it is the best time in my opinion to go to Arkansas. The hunting is hit and miss then but you can't best the experience. It's the kick off of duck season.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 am

well got Belles Seasoned title this spring. and only one more test for the spring hunt test season and going to see if she can get a couple of finished passes.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 am

Way to go, I doubt I try any hunt tests with mine, she gonna be a meat hunter and that about it.
Dep6
Site Admin

Next

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting