First batch of 10s

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: First batch of 10s

Postby baltz526 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

If you look at the alliant book for the 1 3/8oz steel 10ga load for Remington SP hulls, MM1035 wad, fed209A, You will see the load I get 1592fps average with. + - 20fps
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

baltz526 wrote:If you look at the alliant book for the 1 3/8oz steel 10ga load for Remington SP hulls, MM1035 wad, fed209A, You will see the load I get 1592fps average with. + - 20fps

Just out of curiosity have you ever had that load pressure tested???
Might be an eye opener.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 am

No need. It is an Alliant published load. They did the pressure testing for everyone. If YOU think it is not a safe load. Do Not Use It. Or reduce the Steel powder charge by a few grains to get your feel good on. I shoot a modern 10ga and have no fear of using modern loads.
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:37 pm

baltz526 wrote:No need. It is an Alliant published load. They did the pressure testing for everyone. If YOU think it is not a safe load. Do Not Use It. Or reduce the Steel powder charge by a few grains to get your feel good on. I shoot a modern 10ga and have no fear of using modern loads.

You sure Alliant did the testing on that load ???????????????????????????????????
If you did your research and have been doing this as long as you claim you have, you would know that particular load is actually a very old Ballistic Products load that Alliant just copied and published, in the older versions of the Status of Steel (mine go back to 1999), BP shows the exact same load with the exact same velocity and pressure readings and NO I do no trust BP's load data, quite obviously Alliant has never updated this information either.
It's your gun and your choice ,just trying to give you a heads up.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Are you sure it was not Alliant data, BP copied under Alliant's Approval. After Alliant did the pressure testing?
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 am

baltz526 wrote:Are you sure it was not Alliant data, BP copied under Alliant's Approval. After Alliant did the pressure testing?

I'll admit it could be, the point being though that particular load has never been updated by Alliant and again I don't trust BP's data especially data that is that old from them.
I'm not saying the load is unsafe and never have, quite a few of the 10 ga loads that Alliant has listed has been off in one way or another. When you posted up your getting higher velocities than listed and the very close velocity spreads your getting it points to the load being higher pressure than listed.
What we've found is once velocity spreads get very close with shotgun loads your very close to the point of diminishing returns, where your velocity is going to go down instead of up because of overpressure. Rifles and pistols work differently because they work at much higher pressures so velocity spreads that are only a few fps apart are not uncommon, shotguns are different.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:10 am

You're making want to cut my shells and start over..... :sad:
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:40 am

C M Wings wrote:You're making want to cut my shells and start over..... :sad:

Again I'm not saying any of these loads are unsafe, just use caution.
If you shoot an SP-10, there are less and less parts available for these everyday, you break it you may have to either hunt down the parts or use it for a wall hanger. One of the main reasons I stress use caution with some of these loads, to a lesser extent the recoil spring plunger(follower) on the Gold 10 is plastic and they do break or crack from overpressure loads, been there done that, now I keep an extra in the shop.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:14 pm

You would not be the first person to disassemble reloads. I use the MM1035 wad and it is the only wad I have ever used for the 10ga. In all the pattern testing I have done with it. I get better patterns with loads that have under shot felt or cork. The best patterns are 1 3/8oz and 1 7/16oz loads. When I do 1 1/2 or 1 5/8oz, My patterns drop into the 50% range at 50yrds. I have not worked with the slow loads. Just the older data 1450fps plus loads. The current 10ga BP data is Anemic. But there are loads to work with. I hate buffer that blows into your eyes when shooting into the wind, So Am limited by this in my loading. I have seen that you can buy granular plastic at craft stores and people do use it as buffer/filler for better crimps and patterns. That will probably be the next pattern testing I'll do, using the low pressure Buffered load data.
baltz526
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:59 pm

I mitigate for buffer with spacers. I hate buffer too, so I try and keep to recipes without it.

I also have no issue cutting shells. It's part of the process.....

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Can I back the powder charge down a few grains in RSI 98 and replace the primer with a Federal 209A? I like the load, but I did get a lot of flash when I shot this today. Clearly all the powder is not burning. Same question for RSI 99; I did not shoot it but I am assuming it will do the same. I currently do not have any Remington hulls to load RSI 100. Just making sure.... I know how much an affect primers have.

Thanks,

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:28 am

It's always difficult to assume the Reloading Manuals are correct and find out that MAYBE they aren't quite as correct as they should be since this is an old loading recipe it was probably developed with the early Lot's of ASteel powder which we have found by experimentation and testing that the energy level has changed upward in the later Lots of ASteel. Just where that shift was made, by Lot #, is subject to an answer to my contact with Alliant to which I have yet to receive a response.
So one may conclude that those older recipes were produced using those time dated components and are probably not for current components.
Gentlemen, Baltz and BT, you are probably both correct. BT has the equipment to test and I would listen to his comments with a bit more weight than Baltz's experience, which is by no means incorrect, but BT's experience and testing and recommendations should not go unheeded, IMHO.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Lost - I PM'd BT and he said for RSI 99, really the load I am interested in, dropping 2 grains and swapping the primers is fine, just be sure to drop the load to 45 gns.

The recipe, 45 gn STEEL, Fed 209A, SAM1 Wad, 656 gn shot, appears on the Alliant page exactly like that, but with a Remington hull. I assumed a Federal hull would be OK as well as they tend to create less pressure with the paper base wad. BT confirmed.

The 47 gns and the Winchester primer left unburned powder. The RSI 98 with 49 gn made quite a flash as mentioned. Not going to load that again.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes