Need help getting into the sport from a nonhunting family

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Need help getting into the sport from a nonhunting family

Postby jsmith511 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Hey ya'll, so, for fall of 2014 I'd really like to get into duck hunting on my own. I'm young, none of my family hunts. I've hunted the past two seasons but I only got out 4-5 times. I was addicted and it killed me to have to depend on my boyfriends friends to get us out in the blind, whether duck or deer. So that was the problem, I was only able to get out through my boyfriends friends, they all having hunting families and none can offer much to me as I don't speak to them much. I have all of the equipment that I need, clothes, gun, boat, etc. I prefer duck hunting, but I do have a compound bow that I wouldn't mind putting to use, either. So, I need to know how I go about getting my own spot to hunt at and what would be the best tips for going through with it. I know about the raffle that's held around summer, but I hear that's usually rigged and usually for public land only. So, how does it work otherwise? My dad does a lot of work for people who live on waterfronts who would probably let us hunt off the rocks. He wouldn't mind hunting, either, he needs his license though. When I did actually get out, there were a few conflicts where my boyfriends friends had a nice waterfront spot on "buddy so and sos" land but people would usually hunt the water right off the shore so they had to head home many mornings because they couldn't shoot over the people. So, what I'm asking is for tips, tricks, and advice in order to get myself on board with this. I've read just about every single thing on DNR's website about regulations and getting permits and property regulations and all, but I know how backwards that site can be and things that they miss or don't make clear.

Please excuse me for any dumb questions; it's very hard getting into this with hardly any resources. It's like learning how to ride a bike with no training wheels.
jsmith511
Newb

Re: Need help getting into the sport from a nonhunting famil

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:57 am

First, welcome. :hi:

It might help if you posted what part of the state you are in, so people near you will know and you can possible meet them. Join MDWFA and go to regional gatherings to meet people. Join DU or Delta waterfowl to meet people.

I assume you read all up on the Blind site lottery and permits? Those people off shore, are hunting lottery permits, because your boyfriends friends did not license the shore, or can't. You too can show up and apply for a lottery slot. It works better if you have a couple of people. It also sounds to be as if you need to find at least one or two dependable people to go with you. That should not be too hard if you have a boat.

Sounds to be like you just need to meet a few people you can crew up with and get out with all the time. That's not too hard when you have the boat. :wink: Just make sure you get into the lottery.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jsmith511 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:23 am

Thank you!

I am located in Anne Arundel County. So, according to the regions, region 3.

I read up on the permits and such. So, I guess my boyfriends friends didn't license the shore. Does that mean they were hunting illegally? Or was it okay because they had written permission to be there? I really do need dependable people.. I know my boyfriend and I planned to team up and not really tell other people about what we're doing, just to keep it low-key, but it'd still be nice to have another person to join us. It's tough because I'm a girl so a lot of people don't take me seriously. I didn't hit every duck I pointed at last year but practice makes perfect and I enjoy it none the less and I want to get better.

The boat sure does make things a lot better though, last year when his friends would talk about someone they're bringing, mentioning that he had a boat always made him look better. lol.

I looked at the MDWFA and I am thinking about joining but I can't really find any reason to other than going to a few meetings to discuss laws and issues and such. Are there any other benefits?

Thanks so much!
jsmith511
Newb

Postby SMDGUNNER » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 am

They were still able to hunt if they had written permission. If not they had to let the hunters with permission (the blind spot permit) hunt. If the landowner had licensed their shoreline, most likely the other hunters would not be able to license a spot there. The land owners have a chance before the lottery to license their shoreline.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby Ruination » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Dont limit yourself to AA either. A lot of public land out there where Soyuz can just trailer your boat to.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Gandergetter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 am

If you really want to learn I would suggest to join a private club, of course that cost money ($1000-1500per season) Most hunters in these clubs are experienced and you will learn alot in 1 year. You will always have a place to go and at the time and day you choose. Most of these clubs will be on the ES. There is one I belong to just 15mins past the bridge that kill geese and ducks.
Gandergetter
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 pm

I would start by finding some public ground, may not be the best hunting but it's still hunting.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby jsmith511 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Sorry to be so late back to this, but thank you everyone for the advice. I can't really afford to join a club right now though, plus I'm not all that good to where it would be the best to join. Besides, my horses eat almost all of my money anyways. lol. My boyfriend and I are going to be going to the drawing this year and trying to get a stake somewhere. We'll see how it goes!
jsmith511
Newb

Postby ohioboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 pm

xtrema13 wrote:I would start by finding some public ground, may not be the best hunting but it's still hunting.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag

i guess i keep staring at this thread and all the other threads that are similar. i agree with xtrema. forget that lease and get out there. paddle, crawl, climb, wade, bleed, sweat.

hunt, hunt, hunt.

i moved here at 23 experienced in the world of waterfowl. now 10 years later i am actually experienced, or at least what i think that is now. never once have i paid for a bird. i asked about it last year and got some crap on here. buzz-you and i had our exchanges. ultimately, i found that i would not be able to pay for it. no way. i could not stomach paying for a bird.

ohio says go get 'em. you will like it a lot more in the end unless you just want to kill.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

exchanges indeed :beer:

I came from a hunting family, but all my family hunted was deer and small game. When I graduated high school and went to Penn State, I met a few friends who were trying to get into it also. Now, I admit, I started out without decoys, waders, calls, or a place to hunt. I just went around to some swamps near my grandmas farm in jeans and a sweat shirt and sat there and pass shot ducks, and occasionally jump shot some. No waders or boat or dog, I had to wet wade in PA in December for my dead birds. Then I watched some shows on tv and said, Im going to try this decoy thing. So I progressed to hunting a public lake that just had buffies and the occasional diver on it over some mallard decoys, with the cheapest neoprenes I could afford, and a camo hoodie. No calls, just sat there and every once in a while got lucky enough to have some come in. Then I bought my first cheap $20 duck call and started kazooing at ducks(this is about 4 seasons in at this point). Then I met Lefty on here about my 5th season in, along with some other friends and weve been learning from our mistakes, making friends, teaching youths, angering wives, and emptying bank accounts since. You wont become a successful waterfowler over one season, dont expect to. I have learned more about duck hunting on days that I never killed anything, than days when I limited out. Its a game of scouting, adapting to conditions, learning to read birds behavior mid-hunt, learning how to set decoys and when to call and when not to. I could write you a text book on waterfowling, but without being afield living it, none of it will make sense. Get out there and try what you think would work. Take note when something does work, and take note when birds run the other way from you.

My tips-

1. Scouting is the most imporant thing. You can have the most expensive decoys and calls, but they wont help you if youre sitting in a field with no birds for miles.

2. Dont be afraid to ask permission from a landowner. The worst thing they can say is no... or as I learned this year, sick their dogs on you to tear off your family jewels...

3. Unless you were that lucky winner of the mega millions on Tuesday, you'll never be able to afford everything youll need to hunt every situation. Make friends with other waterfowlers that have something to bring to the table. Decoys, dogs, boats, and spots are the 4 biggest things you can contribute to a waterfowl crew.

4. Never be afraid to try a new tactic. When late season comes around and birds are smart, 90% of hunters are all doing the same old spread and calling in the same spots. Its the 10% being different that will kill their limits

5.Dont be discouraged if you dont shoot anything. There are lots of people that go out, enjoy the sunrise, and as long as they see some ducks off in the distance and they aren't at work- then it was a good hunt. :thumbsup:

Youre welcome to PM me anytime if you want to ask any other questions. Im out in western MD so I dont get down your way much. Good luck!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

What a decent POST! I commend you for your patience to put it together and your incite in the sport,

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting