Teal Season

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: Teal Season

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Wonder if that's why the OP said "yes or no" before we hijacked it?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:03 am

I'm against it. :lol:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 am

Little late to the party but oh well...Im against it. to many jack wagons out there that can't ID birds.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby dwendt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am

So would you like to just shut down all duck hunting then? You're supposed to be able to if ducks in the reg. season as well, that argument is invalid.
dwendt
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm

dwendt wrote:So would you like to just shut down all duck hunting then? You're supposed to be able to if ducks in the reg. season as well, that argument is invalid.

And that was a stretch to say to shut down duck hunting then...How is the argument invalid when that is exactly the reason why the Mississippi flyway council hasn't given a northern state a teal season in years. My point is that brooding states like MN rarely if at all ever get teal seasons. Because we are the ones that produce them...if we would have had an early teal season last year we would have been shooting at birds that could barely fly because the hatch was so late. I know we all want to increase hunter recruitment and I'm all for it but adding a teal season isn't the answer without adding other residents to the mix as well.
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Teal Season

Postby dwendt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Absolutely it was I was trying to make a point, id is required in reg as well it would be in an early season. So that shouldn't be a good reason to say no to it..

Last year would have been a shut it down for a year thing due to the late hatch in my mind. (If we had an early season)

I think maybe another study should be done instead of many people using a 50yr old study against it. Have a trial year or two of an early teal season.
dwendt
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 pm

dwendt wrote:Absolutely it was I was trying to make a point, id is required in reg as well it would be in an early season. So that shouldn't be a good reason to say no to it..

Last year would have been a shut it down for a year thing due to the late hatch in my mind. (If we had an early season)

I think maybe another study should be done instead of many people using a 50yr old study against it. Have a trial year or two of an early teal season.

Heres the point in reg season youre atlest allowed to shoot othere species. that flock that come tearing threw at first like and your crew lights them up and there all woodys oh snap now youre in a pickle
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby dwendt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

I hear you on that hillbilly, but if that flock comes in and you can't tell what they are you shouldn't be shooting anyways. But an early teal LST should be at sunrise not 30 before.

Chances are we won't get one anyways
dwendt
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm

You shouldn't smoke and drink and talk on phone while driving
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:
dwendt wrote:Absolutely it was I was trying to make a point, id is required in reg as well it would be in an early season. So that shouldn't be a good reason to say no to it..

Heres the point in reg season youre atlest allowed to shoot othere species. that flock that come tearing threw at first like and your crew lights them up and there all woodys oh snap now youre in a pickle

We haven't always been able to shoot cans, we can't shoot comorants, grebes, etc. Logically you shouldn't shoot unless you know its legal. If you can't ID to that extent you don't shoot. That's applicable to woodies vs teal in an early season and bluebills vs ringneck or redheads vs cans during the regular season.

I am not concerned about other species one bit. Hunters have a relatively small impact on populations, and if too many "other ducks" are taken by one of 50 states for one year they won't have a season next year. But if it works we get more days in the field with family and friends to hunt a bird with a population well above the long term average.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mnwaterfowler98 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:49 pm

i personally would be too busy shooting honkers early in the year. would much rather see a weekend in mid december for mallards, blacks, goldys ect...
mnwaterfowler98
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 pm

[quote="dwendt"]I hear you on that hillbilly, but if that flock comes in and you can't tell what they are you shouldn't be shooting anyways.

I agree, everyone else would most likely agree also. I think its fair to say some, if not a lot of folks won't follow that advice. I think a lot of folks objection to the possible teal season is that the "mistake" ducks won't be retrieved and brought home as they would be in the regular season, they would most likely be stomped into the mud or left floating. I'm for the early teal season but most likely wouldn't participate in it, I'd rather chase geese. I would like to see a mistake duck allowed just to cut down on the waste that will certainly happen.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:28 pm

mnwaterfowler98 wrote:i personally would be too busy shooting honkers early in the year. would much rather see a weekend in mid december for mallards, blacks, goldys ect...

^^^^THIS!!! I hate how right after the season closes spots I have access too get plum full of big fat migrating mallards. I would love to be able to get after them late in the year for at least one or two hunts. I personally think there is nothing better than a duck hunt with snow and big mallards with landing gear down right in your face. I would take one weekend of that over a teal season every single time hands down no questions asked. Plus as others have said, I enjoy hitting geese in the fields that time of year.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 pm

beretta24 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:

We haven't always been able to shoot cans, we can't shoot comorants, grebes, etc.and we use to be only aloud one hen mallard Logically you shouldn't shoot unless you know its legal.logically yes actuall no If you can't ID to that extent you don't shoot. That's applicable to woodies vs teal in an early season and bluebills vs ringneck or redheads vs cans during the regular season.

I am not concerned about other species one bit.[color=#0000FF]im fully aware you know your ducks if you didn't it would be kinda hard to get one of all NA lol[/color] Hunters have a relatively small impact on populations, Treaty of 1918 says other wise. and if too many "other ducks" are taken by one of 50 states for one year they won't have a season next year. But if it works we get more days in the field with family and friends to hunt a bird with a population well above the long term average.

im all for more days in the field with new friends old friends and mostly my kids. If we trying for that why not do away with the split seasons then theres alota birds to be had in that 2 weeks the south zone is close and the week the middle is closed. If they do deside to have A teal season you bet your britches ill be sweating in a blind.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 pm

I see what you're saying, but the effects of that treaty are a bit outdated given season and method restrictions, and actual bag limits. The changes we are discussing are orders of magnitude less than what was change in the early and mid parts of the 1900s
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 am

mnwaterfowler98 wrote:i personally would be too busy shooting honkers early in the year. would much rather see a weekend in mid december for mallards, blacks, goldys ect...

X3!!!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am

I would guess that the reason the flyway councils have reservations in regards to northern states participating in the early teal season is possibly due to the lack of colors on the birds. I also think that a lot of hunters don't know what they shot until it's in hand. Would be fun to have a chance at these early migrants and push the regular season out a bit. If a choice, late season hunting would rule in my book.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

Problem is there isn't a way to have a late season hunt. Yes, it would be nice, but a teal season can fall outside the standard framework because most are gone before hunting season. Mallards and other divers are still here during the regular season.

Besides, teal taste better
(yea, I just opened that can of worms too, lol)

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

Goldfish- The framework of the regular season would just move. Teal would replace an earlier opener. That's all.
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby kbooger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I'd hate to be the DNR. The season is too late, too early, too long, too short, teal season is genious, teal season is stupid, you could never please everyone. Then you get blamed for low deer numbers after a couple really bad winters. Poor bastards.
kbooger
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 pm

The DNR does have it tough to please everyone, BUT they are dead wrong on Mille Lacs. They have a clause that says they can shut down tribal netting if theres reasonable proof that it is jeapordizing the resource, but no one has enough of a spine to do anything about it. They just blame it on zebra mussels, smallmouth bass, etc. Rant over. And sorry for hijaking this tread but had to get that off my chest. :mad: Carry on...
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am

I don't care either way...

I just want to shoot FAT mallards in December... That is where we should be looking to. The last few years, (I would even go as far as to say the last 10 years), it seems like the migration (mallards)is, or seems, later and later. It is so frustrating the weeks after the "season" closes, sitting in a late season honker spread, seeing hundreds of mallards waiting to be shot at. As cold as it was this year, there were still green heads all over the metro (Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, St. Louis Park...) Meanwhile, Early October is 75 degrees, and the only thing moving is the teal and woodies... and skeeters.

Of course, who knows...

This year it may freeze over before October, and my point will be moot... :hammer:

goldfish wrote: "Besides, teal taste better"

Can't argue with that... :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Heck Gunny I just heard from a bud that a field we hunted in December and had about 500 mallards working held those ducks all winter! Of course that is in southern MN and I will for sure say there were no birds in Aitkin county that same weekend in December.

Side not I sure hope my bud can get access to this field next fall during duck season!
xrated
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 pm

The Mallards have been thick all winter around St. Cloud
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 am

They have been flying like crazy around golden valley/saint Louis park this winter. It's been driving me crazy.
zee-unit
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting