Duck Hunting Forum banner

spring snows

8K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  pete/pmr 
#1 ·
anyone gonna try to bag some snows for the spring season? never have tried it before but it doesn't seem like there are any aorund. is it even worth the time and effort? :beer:

#3 ·
I plan to go out if I can find them. As of last Friday, they were still sitting on the Delaware river down South. This snow and ice isn't giving them much incentive to fly North. Looks like they will make a late appearance this year as they did last year. I did see a small group of five fly over my house last week. A group that small must have been lost. When they come, all heck will break loose. It is pretty amazing.

#5 ·
yeah im pretty much in the same boat as the rest of you. If we can find them we'll be out there. I've been itching to get some trigger time again. Hopefully we get some warm weather to help get rid of the snow and ice. Should be smooth sailing from there.

#7 ·
Yeah I am thinking about it,hoping the birds show up,but I think with this snow storm,they may be held back a few weeks! Which may be a good thing,because when they do come up they might have bigger numbers with them! But let's hope the season is still open then! :thumbsup:

Nick I got people looking and reporting too me about what they are seeing! As soon as I know you will know and we have to go kidnap Lance!

I saw about fifteen or twenty snows on Lamoile River on Tuesday sitting on the east side of the bridge off 89! There was open water on the west side of the bridge when we went down too Burlington,and on the way back up too Swanton I saw the geese out on the ice! But that is not enough to get excited about!

#8 ·
pete/pmr said:
Yeah I am thinking about it,hoping the birds show up,but I think with this snow storm,they may be held back a few weeks! Which may be a good thing,because when they do come up they might have bigger numbers with them! But let's hope the season is still open then! :thumbsup:

Nick I got people looking and reporting too me about what they are seeing! As soon as I know you will know and we have to go kidnap Lance!

I saw about fifteen or twenty snows on Lamoile River on Tuesday sitting on the east side of the bridge off 89! There was open water on the west side of the bridge when we went down too Burlington,and on the way back up too Swanton I saw the geese out on the ice! But that is not enough to get excited about!
As soon as they show up, they are dead meat.

Next time you see snows sitting on the river, let me know... I live a mile away from there. :)

#12 ·
Pete are you sure it was the lamoille? Both sides of the bridge have been frozen over since at least mid January, I thought maybe I was crazy but looked again on my way to work this morning... ECI's guys that are doing the construction on the bridge are walking across the ice below the bridge daily!

And Nick, when you and Lance find snows you tell that kid to call me!

This is Kyle!

#15 ·
Yessir.. we are all waiting hard on them now... They're in the finger lakes, a few in Champlain.. but the masses wont be moving till the fields melt and the grass starts to grow. Not sure about southern Vermont but for anyone close to the border it'll be at least another 2 weeks. Be ready though, it'll be one big move from where they are now to the St. Lawrence river. Anyone in between will be lucky if they get in 2 days of good hunting. I hunt the north side of Champlain and then the south shore of the St. Lawrence, this year I'm putting everything into the fields by the river... the lakes have way too much ice this year unless we get some blazing sun to open them up the geese will just skip this whole area.

Good luck and keep the reports up.

Mugz.

#18 ·
I am in southwestern Vermont and put on over 350 miles in the last two days looking for snows in and along Lake Champlain and I am headed out today also,but have yet to see a snow goose,I have been to NY state yesterday,from Salem to Ticonderoga along the lake and have not seen a snow goose! Will let everyone know what I see today! :thumbsup:

#19 ·
GunNRun said:
Pardon my ignorance but could you please explain the difference between waiting and waiting hard?
:lol3: Waiting is sitting patiently, occupying yourself with other things to bide the time. Waiting hard is checking the weather every five minutes for a change, checking snow cover in the field, check ice cover on the lakes, living on the snowgoose migration forums... I've cleaned my gun twice just as I wrote this... re-uploaded the e-caller tracks just to be sure they're actually ON the track list... it's hard waiting.

Mugz.

#20 ·
went out hunting today just wingin it. Overall it was a big waste of time. Saw a fair amount of canadas but not a single snow... i guess thats what you get though when you just set up in a field and hope for some luck. Although our hopes weren't high it was still nice to get out and have some fun with the boys

#21 ·
Got a report from JTrotta in Ny saying he saw some snows last weekend down in Renselear Co Ny and he his looking for some guys to hunt with out there! Says all his regulars guys are out of town this week and he has 12 dozen decoys and ecaller to add to a hunt if anyone is looking for another person to hunt with? Waiting on my guys in Conn to drop me a message on snows down there!

I saw nothing today! Deer and turkey's,and some small groups of Canada's ! Lots of mallards and blacks hitting fields! So it should not be long now before the snows get here!

#22 ·
VTfowl said:
went out hunting today just wingin it. Overall it was a big waste of time. Saw a fair amount of canadas but not a single snow... i guess thats what you get though when you just set up in a field and hope for some luck. Although our hopes weren't high it was still nice to get out and have some fun with the boys
:lol:

Been there, done that. Birds land to feed typically... if they aren't there, chances are they won't be there tomorrow.

Best of luck... we are all waiting at this point.

#23 ·
Okay this is the report from Nodak outdoors,sort of like this forum,but anyway,here is the link to read what's going on elsewhere!

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... &start=360

I check this page out daily to see what is going on in the rest of the country!

says they have good flocks in SD/ ND!

#26 ·
Kyle, I am certain on the day I saw those birds it was the second bridge headed north from Burlington, whatever river that is under that bridge,on the south side had open water west of the bridge! The birds were sitting on the ice on the east side of the bridge!

I will google earth the location and be able to tell you what river it is in a minute,okay think it is the river that runs out of Milton to west Milton !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.