Wood duck

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Wood duck

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Well I finished the wood duck I had been working on minus the nasty shriveled feet I'm not too bummed about it. I wish I had seen the rust stain remover before I finished mounting it. Plus my first attempt at some habitat. Sorry for the low qual pics. The iPad isn't so good at that I guess.

Duck Nasty
hunter

Re: Wood duck

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Nothing. No pointers.. Is it that bad
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Duck nasty it is not bad at all for one of your first birds. Be proud of it and just try and take the critiques you ask for and apply it to the next bird. Each one will improve. Maybe a little bit more time grooming and study the internal and external anatomy starting with the legs on a standing duck..Yours are bent in a weird way at the " knee". Also something to keep in mind on the next woody is adding some artificial eye lids. They are very apparent on a wood duck. Again, be proud of it.. And just try to improve and push yourselve on the future ones. The bill looks very nice :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Sammyshonker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Cunstructive crit here-
Notice the position of the feet on the log, they are foreward too far, if this were accurate, the drum stick would be near the breast. Take a look at some photos on the web to get your anatomic perspective on waterfoul for a good base on how birds should look . Keep up the good work , I only mounted one bird, and it was terrible , so i stuck with kill'n them ...
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:00 pm

I want to add one more thing that may or may not make sense yet. I think every bird taxidermist was enamored with their first mounts, where you are blinded to a lot of the flaws. But with the critiques, time put in studying anatomy and just flat out practice.. You will be able to progress and look back on your mounts and see the improvement. And in turn kinda see what everybody else was seeing at the time... Make sense? :huh: If not just keep at it.. You will get it.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum