final revenge!!!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

final revenge!!!

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 pm

So were all waterfowl hunters here. That means we shoot birds (usually) in the air and they fall and hit either the water or the land. Who here has had a duck or goose take its final revenge and land on you. I have, with my own eyes, witnessed 2nd shot dive out of the way of a goose crashing towards him. I've also seen a good friend have a goose land on his foot, he was limping afterwards. I've also seen the same guy dodge a read head that hit the tree he had been leaning against. So far I haven't been hit, knock on wood.
Last edited by StuStiltman on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Re: final revenge!!!

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Suicidal_scuap almost hit me with a hen mallard he shot flying over us. My godfather caught a mallard falling out of the sky and broke his arm (i was not with my dad said he told him not to try and catch it) but my guess was he said catch that bird
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

I got married in June 2011. Hunted early goose in 2011 with my father-in-law in SD.

I kid you not, he dropped a giant canada on my layout blind. Landed RIGHT between my legs.

Shoulda heard me scream. He still gives me a hard time.

And yes, his lab came and got the bird and brought it back to him.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 am

Haven't done/seen it myself, but my dad has dropped them in the boat (he claims)

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:57 am

can't say that I have or even seen it happen.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 am

YEARS AGO THE OLD MAN WAS SEEN,”diving out of the way of a goose crashing toward him”. I REMEMBER THAT DAY WELL. LOOKING BACK IT IS ALMOST FUNNY. AND THAN I READ THE COMMENTS POSTED ABOVE ME BY (doubletheshovel and mutthunt) AND THE FEAR OF THE MOMENT IS BROUGHT BACK. WE WERE HUNTING ON ONE OF OUR FAVORITE ISLANDS YEARS AGO. WE HUNTED OUT OF THREE BLINDS, OF WHICH WE EACH HAD A FAVORITE. I WAS IN THE MIDDLE BLIND. THESE BLINDS WERE THREE SIDED. MEANING YOU ENTERED FROM THE BACK. THERE WAS NO EMERGENCY EXIT. THE ISLAND HAD NUMEROUS ROCKS, SOME OF WHICH WERE TO LARGE TO MOVE. OVER THE YEARS WE DID DO LANDSCAPING WORK. WHEN HUNTING WE EACH WOULD HAVE TWO GUNS, A TEN AND A TWELVE GAUGE STANDING UP AT THE FRONT OF OUR BLIND. I DO NOT REMEMBER A LOT OF THE DETAILS OF THAT MORNING OTHER THAN THAT WE SHOT A GOOSE OR TWO THAT WERE PERHAPS 60 YARDS UP AND AND PERHAPS TWENTY YARDS OUT. THEY WERE HEADED TOWARD US. IT WAS A ONE SHOT DEAD, AND FALLING AT A ANGLE THAT WAS RIGHT AT ME. I QUICKLY SET THE GUN DOWN AND RAN OUT THE BACK OF THE BLIND SCREAMING, “ITS GOING TO KILL ME” OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT. I REMEMBER THE GOOSE CRASHED INTO MY BLIND. IT WAS DEAD. THANK God, AND I MEAN IT, THANK God IT DID NOT HIT ME, OR I MAY HAVE BEEN HURT BADLY OR WORSE. IT WOULD BE FUN TO HEAR FROM YOU ENGINEER TYPES OUT THERE WHO COULD FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH FORCE A LARGE GOOSE FALLING COULD HAVE, AND WHAT WOULD BE A LIKELY EQUIVALENT, AND PERHAPS WHAT THAT COULD DO IN TERMS OF BODILY DAMAGE. I END WITH THE THOUGHT THAT WHEN WE ALL FINALLY REST IN PEACE, THAT IT BE NOT FROM THE WRATH OF A DYING GOOSE. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 am

We were hunting Eldorado Marsh back in the 90's...great little spot for late season divers coming off Lake Winnebago. The way the marsh is, the cattails are a floating bog that you can pull your skiff up into, then you have to stand on the skiff to see over the cattails. We had a nice flock come in, and I dropped a screaming bluebill...didn't hear any shooting from my partner...he had to bail out of the skiff so he didn't get nailed by the first bird I smoked....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

One near miss for me. I hunt divers on a long narrow point. Had a diver screaming across the lake right at me about 10 feet off the deck. When it got in range I squeezed one off and hit it. The bird crashed just in front of me, skipped off the water barely missing my head as it whizzed past. It crashed so close to me that I got splashed in the face.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 am

Great thread!

I'm yet to make contact with a falling bird, but I've had two of these funny stories unfold in front of me...

1- Hunting a flooded cornfield with a buddy, a couple of minutes before sunset we had a big group of teal buzz into our spread. I had already unloaded and was too far from my gun to make a move, but my buddy was on his feet, loaded and ready to go. He shoots once and drops the lead bird. As he cycled his pump and tried to get on a second bird, BAM! Right in the chest, knocked him down and he had a nice bruise for about a week. We still give him a hard time that a bw teal put him on his butt.....

2- 4 dudes, 2 boats, hunting opposing points of a bay (roughly 250 yards from each other). My buddy has a lone mallard decoy into his spread across the bay from us, on a rope. He pulls up and smokes it on the first shot, and it's coming right for him. He wanted to catch it, and he followed the first rule that outfielders learn in youth baseball....first step backwards. He basically walked backwards right out of his boat, trying to catch the duck. Absolutely hilarious. We heard/saw the whole thing from across the bay. he went home and went back to bed... wet and cold lol
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 am

I would imagine trying to catch a dead goose coming at you would be the equivalent of trying to catch a bowling ball traveling at 30mph, with razor blades attached to simulate the broken bones on this bird pummeling towards you.

Not a good idea

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm

I was pheasant hunting with my Dad and a buddy. My dad had his dog and mine going through a grove late in the year. Our buddy and myself were posting the south and south east sides of the grove. Roosters normally hold at the end but some took off and flew up and over the grove. I was standing in about 2 feet of snow behind a Bush when I pulled up on one of two Roosters. I hit the first one and pulled up on the second one when all of the sudden my gun was in the snow and my face was throbbing. The rooster hit my barrel and the buttstock bruised my cheek bone. I thought my dad and buddy were going to die laughing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:25 am

couple years ago we had a huge flock get off some some back water that we had been watching all morning and couldn't tell what they were. well we had lone duck fly past us and out of range and it flew about 200yrds out and were just giving each other crap about shooting a Drake can and how there were any around and blah blah well this duck gets up and flys right into us theres 4 of us in the boat and this loan duck turns into a Drake can. 3 of us pull up and miss first 3 shots with in 20yards well somebody dropped it and I finish off with a head shot. well In that rush all them ducks in the back water get up and come at us from the left to right. we light them up and smashed my first went got my second and was going for the 3rd and something caught my eye and my first duck coming right at us I move and it nicks my jacket and nails the guy in the front right in the back. well that flock we got 6 and they were hoodie mergs. well that made its way into the boat was a nice drake and still alive so pulld a Phil Robertson on him.
hillbilly..
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting