Big rig of cheaps vs smaller rig of high quality?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Big rig of cheaps vs smaller rig of high quality?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi all, I have question that I haven't seen much people talk about. I have about 4 dozen storm front mallards and 2 dozen hotbuys, aswell as a dozen older flambeaus. My question is, would it be fine to run smaller 13-14" decoys and a bunch of them, or a smaller spread of larger , more realistic oversized birds like Avian X and GHG Oversize Progrades? I was thinking around 3 dozen or so for the nicer decoys.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: Big rig of cheaps vs smaller rig of high quality?

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:15 pm

If the paint is good and not flaring birds it shouldn't matter. I like mixing them up so it's not a cookie cutter spread. Birds are different sizes and brands also don't hook the weight all in the front so some will be facing different directions like a realistic spread
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

its not a fact of bad paint, I'm asking if people have noticed a difference using 3 dozen ultra realistic magnums vs 6 dozen smaller less realistic decoys
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Here is the best answer. Situation dependant early season larger the better. Late season smaller realistic is better sometimes
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby neon58 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 pm

I would guess that your not totally satisfied with what you are running now. Without knowing your situation i would lean more to numbers. Either way you go probly the single best improvement anyone can make in their spread is adding water motion, whether its jerk strings or electronic such as pulsators, mallard machine, shakers, etc. To my mind having six doz standards decoys moving would be better than 3doz magnums. :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Very true.Oregon law doesn't allow electronic decoys. I used 2 winduks and a jerk string. The birds I hunt are very skittish so I was thinking the big spreads were scaring them, due to the fact they have been hunted from Canada down through the whole valley. I was thinking maybe give them something they don't normally see
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Normally, I prefer a smaller spread of ultra-realistic decoys. Less work/less time putting out & picking up. More room/less weight in the boat. Not the usual four dozen that everyone has in their spread. They work for me.

At certain times, though, we will put out a mega-spread of 300 or so duck decoys. In that case, it means ALL the decoys go out; the cheap Hot Buys AND the Avian-X's and ProGrades....a little harder to handle, and a little harder to get birds to land where you want them to land...but sometimes it's the best way to get 2-3 limits.
Every day is different and only experience will tell you which type of rig will be most effective; you can't just say this way is always the best, or that way is always the best. Some days/places one rig will work better, other days and places other rigs. :huh:

Small ponds, small openings in the marsh, sloughs, etc. can't take 7 dozen decoys. In those places, 10-18 top line decoys will be best. Edges of large reservoirs, or large open marshes, and 6 dozen birds might not be enough. There are just too many variables.
You'll be better able to make the right call as you gain experience.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 pm

we have close to 100 mostly mallard dekes we have slowly gathered over the years...our shooting spot has varie water levels and often a large mud bank...some years we put them all out others we put out 30-40 do we notice a lot of difference??? not really what we do tend to do though is put the really good and motion dekes together close to the killing hole to draw birds into that zone...sort of like large party but the table with the pretty girls gets all the eyeballing action.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum