U.p huntin

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

U.p huntin

Postby Lights-Out » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:13 pm

hello im just looking to see if anyone is willing to share some decent spots for duck hunting. Im going to be a student at lake state next year which i right on the st marys river, and was juts wandering if anyone can tell me wwhat do they shoot up there or what can i expectto see or shoot, am i going to kill alot? i honestly just want to know as much as possible! now i will be joining the ducks unlimited club up there so that will help but just looking for tips anything that will be helpful!
Lights-Out
hunter

Re: U.p huntin

Postby richard133 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 am

Best advice you are most likely going to get is scout your area. Not to many share there spots. And if you are going to shoot many birds is all depending on how you hunt
richard133
hunter

Postby Lights-Out » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:10 am

well we have up 12 dozen decoys if it comes down to it, but im completly new to the aea just looking for a little tips
Lights-Out
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 am

Lights-Out wrote:well we have up 12 dozen decoys if it comes down to it, but im completly new to the aea just looking for a little tips

Before you get upset with lack of useful replies...

Spring will be here and then summer, use the time to scout and get familiar with the area , nothing more enjoyable then to scout in the summer with warm temps and warm water!

Take the dogs and friends along , make it an adventure, you will find what you need!

The maps on line have cut this process in half over the last 20 years :beer:

Be safe, enjoy Michigan out of doors .
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:13 am

You have the summer to meet new people and get out there and find your "perfect spot". sorry to say it that way but those of us that spend years scouting (no one told us where to hunt) really do not want to tell someone the areas to hunt. You would not be real happy if you burned lots of gas scouting for weeks or months then find that the guy you told about the spot is sitting there opening day :mad:

The local DNR office would be a place to start, I have found that they can be very helpful and in most cases will tell you what you want to know. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CorkDust » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 am

If you have a boat,the St.Marys off-channel marsh complexes offer pretty consistent hunting, particularly now that the water levels have increased roughly 18", putting "fresh" production back into action... Basically, these marshes exist in good quantity down to Lime Island.

The St. Marys River is essentially a series of shalllow interconnected lakes, knitted together via connecting channels that have been dredged for ship passage. These freighters displace a large amount of water into the off-channel areas on passage, so be careful to not get caught in the shallow during one of these events-easily a 20" water level change on average, with waves up to 3-4" in shoal water areas, particularly if their pilot is pusing the throttle a bit(pretty common in the downbound sections).

Divers work the river channel for the most part, settling in several large shoal water areas in Lake Nicolet, Lake George,Munuscong Bay, Duck Bay, and Potaganissing Bay. Puddlers can be anything from teal to wigeon. Mallards and decent black duck numbers are the norm, but I have taken pintail, wood ducks, wigeon and some gadwalls over the years.

Google Earth is an excellent remote scouting tool, particularly for duck hunters looking for beaver floodings, with one caveat: Note the date of the aerial photo, since it is not current, water levels may have changed. As you move the cursor, you will have updated GPS coordinates readily available to go out and ground truth what you are interested in scouting and to obtain permission on private holdings.

Dafter area farms hold excellent numbers of migration Southern James Bay population Canadas. There is also a pretty good resident Canada flock in pockets along the river. The soils in the eastern UP are old sea bed remants, so they clay-laden and hold water well. This year's consistent rains will offer a lot of sheetwater that will spread birds out inland.

Cedarville/Hessel area marsh complexes can off some excellent waterfowl hunting as well, particularly after the opener.
CorkDust
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting